Quinton Rampage Jackson at UFC 135

When the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced it would hold an event in Japan for the first time in nearly 12 years, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson knew he wanted to be on the UFC 144 fight card.

Jackson made a name for himself competing in the Japanese-based Pride Fighting Championships.  He fought under the Pride banner for more than five years (2001-2006) accumulating highlight reel finishes and his two epic battles with Wanderlei Silva made him a fan favorite.

“I’m really excited about going back to Japan, there’s no secret about that. I love that place. I think I was so popular in Japan because of my fight style. I was young and I didn’t care. I just wanted to put on fights for the crowd and they love that type of stuff,” Jackson said recently.

“It’s a no-brainer. The UFC is going back to Japan and I got my big break in Japan. I wanted to be there,” he added.  “I couldn’t just say it was on my bucket list, but you know what I’m saying, it was a no-brainer that UFC is putting on a show in Japan and I wanted to be on that card.”

For Jackson, it wasn’t just about returning to Japan to complete at least one more time in front of the rabid combat sports culture there.  Returning to fight in Japan is personal to Jackson.

“It’s very important to me personally.  My kids are from Japan; my kids’ grandparents are from there. They’ve never really watched me fight back in the day, and I’ve got a lot of experience in Japan,” said the former UFC light heavyweight titleholder.

“I really miss the fans; I’m not going to lie. I really miss fighting there. So it was something personal for me. My two younger kids can come watch me fight and the in-laws can be in the crowd and watch me fight. I never had that before, so it is something that I want to do.”

With his fighting roots in Japan and his popularity there, it was a “no-brainer” to put Jackson in the line-up, but it wasn’t that simple.  He had to lobby the UFC to be included on the UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson fight card.

“Well, my manager has informed me not to go into that. That could get me in trouble with some people at the UFC. You guys know I had to fight (to get) on this card. That’s all I can go into,” said Jackson on the UFC 144 Japan media conference call.

“I had to fight to be on this card and complain and bitch to my manager. Now I think the representatives of the UFC are upset with me a little bit, but ask me do I care,” said Jackson at a UFC 144 promotional press conference  in December.

At the end of the day, Jackson is on the card and facing Ryan Bader.  It didn’t come without some behind-the-scenes negotiations and hardball, but sometimes that’s what it takes when something is personal to you.

Follow @JeffMMAWeekly on Twitter or e-mail Jeff Cain.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC 207 pre-fight facts: Garbrandt looking for number two slot on bantamweight knockout list

The UFC’s year-end fight card is always one of its biggest. That trend continues as the promotion closes out 2016.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey Watch List, Who to Watch Out For (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Senior Vice President of Talent Relations Sean Shelby sits down with Jon Anik to discuss who to look out for at UFC 207. read news >>

UFC 207 play-by-play and live results (7 p.m. ET)

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Friday’s UFC 207 event, and you can join us for live play-by-play and official results beginning at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, read news >>

UFC 207 discussion thread

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Friday’s UFC 207 event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, which kicks off at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT). You can discuss the event here.Filed under: read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 207's post-event press conference on MMAjunkie

LAS VEGAS – UFC 207 takes place Friday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. As usual, you can watch a live video stream of the post-event news conference here on MMAjunkie at approximately 1:30 a.m. ET (1 read news >>

UFC 207 early weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Thursday’s early and official UFC 207 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at noon ET (9 a.m. PT local time).Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch Thursday's UFC 207 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – UFC 207 ceremonial fighter weigh-ins take place Friday, and you can catch a live video stream of the proceedings here on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET (3 p.m. PT local time).Filed under: News, U read news >>

Reminder: 'Countdown to UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey' debuts today on FS1

As a reminder, the UFC’s traditional pre-event show returns today with the debut of “Countdown to UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey” on FS1.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Amanda Nunes: 'I'm Going to Make a Statement (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes is ready to make another statement next week. "The Lioness" defends her title for the first time against former champ Ronda Rousey at UFC 207. read news >>

With Velasquez fight off UFC 207, Fabricio Werdum wants to fast-forward to rematch with champ Miocic

With his rematch against a fellow former heavyweight champion off the table for UFC 207 on Friday, Fabricio Werdum has one pretty big idea of what his next fight could be, instead. Filed under: News, read news >>