If he gets his way, Donald Cerrone could be a multi-sport athlete in 2012. | Photo: Dave Mandel

With a win over Nate Diaz at UFC 141 on Friday, Donald Cerrone will have staked his claim to the best year of anyone in mixed martial arts not named Jon Jones.

While it's clear that "Cowboy" wants to remain as active as possible inside the Octagon in 2012 -- title shot or not -- he also has some other interesting plans in mind. When all is said and done, the Jackson’s Mixed Martial Arts standout could be the sport's answer to Bo Jackson.

"My two goals next year (are): I'm trying to work with the PBR (Professional Bull Riders, Inc.). I actually want to ride," Cerrone told Sherdog.com. "I want to work with the UFC and work with the PBR and make a publicity junket out of it. Get on one of the baddest m-----------s. Why not? I'm (also) gonna become a pro wakeboarder next year, that's one of the goals I got."

Before his fighting career took off, Cerrone was a bull rider, competing on the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association circuit, which is a step below the PBR. Bull riding remains a passion for the Colorado native, even if he hasn't done it at a competitive level in quite some time.

"I've ridden tons of bulls. I've ridden bulls before a couple of my fights -- about a week before (a fight). This summer, I believe it was before the Vagner Rocha fight. That's what I do," Cerrone said. "This summer I'm really gonna start chasing rodeo. Just once. Just one time."

The risk-taking nature of the former World Extreme Cagefighting star comes as no surprise to those around him, and now it appears that some of that passion has carried over to wakeboarding, as well.

"He's such a character," said striking coach Mike Winkeljohn. "I just heard the other day that he went wakeboarding the day before weigh-ins on his last fight. What a crazy kid. You got to love him. He's that guy."

Cerrone is aware that his extracurricular ventures might not please UFC brass, especially after victories over Paul Kelly, Rocha, Charles Oliveira and Dennis Siver have rocketed him to prominence in the lightweight division. As one of the promotion's go-to guys at 155 pounds, Cerrone could be deemed too valuable to risk injury testing his mettle in other sports.

"They'll probably pull the plug, I don't know," he said. "It would be cool for them to be like, 'Go ahead.' If they say yeah, I say we go for it."

Conor McGregor Wants Nate Diaz, So He Came Up with Jose Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar

While Conor McGregor focuses on exacting his revenge upon Nate Diaz, he says it was his idea for Jose Aldo to fight Frankie Edgar for the interim belt. read news >>

Dana White Declares Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz in Jeopardy, Might Have to Move On

Dana White on Thursday admitted that, with Nate Diaz negotiations stalling out, Conor McGregor may have to move on from his desire for a rematch. read news >>

Dana White Talks About Problems in Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz Negotiations

UFC President Dana White has had some problems negotiating recently with two of the UFC's biggest fighters. UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor, perhaps the most famous fighter in MMA today, se read news >>

Watch Nate Diaz Hit Dana White with the ‘Stockton Slap’

Well, looks like Dana White and Nate Diaz are getting along. So much that Dana's letting Nate smack that hell out of him. read news >>

Dana White Gets 'Hit' with the 'Stockton Slap' from Nate Diaz in Video

Nate Diaz is closer to stepping back inside the Octagon, and part of getting the deal done appears to be slapping Dana White. Warning: Video contains NSFW lyrics. Diaz posted the video to Instagram o read news >>

Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor II Announced for UFC 202: Latest Comments, Reaction

After plenty of posturing by all parties involved, the UFC confirmed Saturday night Conor McGregor will return to the Octagon for a rematch with Nate Diaz, per UFC commentator Jon Anik. The two will read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 2 Booked for UFC 202 on August 20

The highly anticipated rematch between Nate Diaz and featherweight champion Conor McGregor has been signed to take place at UFC 202 on August 20. read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Talks Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz Before Eddie Alvarez UFC Fight

UFC Lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos thinks a future fight with Conor McGregor would be “easy money” for him. The Brazilian title-holder was speaking ahead of his upcoming bout with Eddie Alvare read news >>

Dana White Explains that ‘Stockton Slap’ Video He Made with Nate Diaz

Dana White explains how that "Stockton Slap" video with Nate Diaz became a thing. read news >>