If he gets his way, Donald Cerrone could be a multi-sport athlete in 2012. | Photo: Dave Mandel

With a win over Nate Diaz at UFC 141 on Friday, Donald Cerrone will have staked his claim to the best year of anyone in mixed martial arts not named Jon Jones.

While it's clear that "Cowboy" wants to remain as active as possible inside the Octagon in 2012 -- title shot or not -- he also has some other interesting plans in mind. When all is said and done, the Jackson’s Mixed Martial Arts standout could be the sport's answer to Bo Jackson.

"My two goals next year (are): I'm trying to work with the PBR (Professional Bull Riders, Inc.). I actually want to ride," Cerrone told Sherdog.com. "I want to work with the UFC and work with the PBR and make a publicity junket out of it. Get on one of the baddest m-----------s. Why not? I'm (also) gonna become a pro wakeboarder next year, that's one of the goals I got."

Before his fighting career took off, Cerrone was a bull rider, competing on the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association circuit, which is a step below the PBR. Bull riding remains a passion for the Colorado native, even if he hasn't done it at a competitive level in quite some time.

"I've ridden tons of bulls. I've ridden bulls before a couple of my fights -- about a week before (a fight). This summer, I believe it was before the Vagner Rocha fight. That's what I do," Cerrone said. "This summer I'm really gonna start chasing rodeo. Just once. Just one time."

The risk-taking nature of the former World Extreme Cagefighting star comes as no surprise to those around him, and now it appears that some of that passion has carried over to wakeboarding, as well.

"He's such a character," said striking coach Mike Winkeljohn. "I just heard the other day that he went wakeboarding the day before weigh-ins on his last fight. What a crazy kid. You got to love him. He's that guy."

Cerrone is aware that his extracurricular ventures might not please UFC brass, especially after victories over Paul Kelly, Rocha, Charles Oliveira and Dennis Siver have rocketed him to prominence in the lightweight division. As one of the promotion's go-to guys at 155 pounds, Cerrone could be deemed too valuable to risk injury testing his mettle in other sports.

"They'll probably pull the plug, I don't know," he said. "It would be cool for them to be like, 'Go ahead.' If they say yeah, I say we go for it."

From Around the Web

Nick Catone retires from MMA after UFC on FOX 15 injury withdrawal

After only one fight since 2012, Nick Catone has announced his retirement from MMA competition.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Anthony Pettis wants RDA rematch next, but Nate Diaz is on the list

The former lightweight champ doesn't care for the flak he's been getting from the younger Diaz and would like to settle it in the cage. read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Anthony Pettis 'loves' Nate Diaz fight, but has no timetable for return

"I haven't thought about who I want to fight next. I can't even say when I can fight next. But I would love to fight Nate Diaz. That's a fight I've been waiting for, for a long time. If that's next, read news >>

Quick Swick Returns at UFC 189

Back in action for the first time since December of 2012, longtime middleweight and welterweight standout Mike "Quick" Swick will return to the Octagon on Saturday, July 11, to face Alex "The... read news >>

Mike Swick Returns to the Octagon For The First Time Since 2012 at UFC 189 Against Alex Garcia

Mike “Quick” Swick (15-5) will return to action for the first time since December 2012 on July 11 at UFC 189 against Alex Garcia (12-2). read news >>

Nate Diaz returns to welterweight for UFC 189 showdown with Matt Brown

Former UFC lightweight title challenger Nate Diaz is headed back to welterweight for a July 11th fight against Matt Brown. MMA fans who craved a potential Matt Brown versus Nick Diaz fight down the l read news >>

Matt Brown meets Nate Diaz in UFC 189 welterweight showdown

There seems to be no limit to the number of intriguing matches which can be made in the UFC's deep welterweight division. This week's example was announced Wednesday night's edition of UFC Tonight, a read news >>

Nate Diaz returns to welterweight, meets Matt Brown on stacked UFC 189 in Las Vegas

For the first time since 2011, Nate Diaz will fight at welterweight. He’s been booked for a fight with Matt Brown at UFC 189 in Las Vegas this July. Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Nate Diaz vs. Matt Brown Announced for UFC 189: Latest Details and Reaction

A marquee MMA matchup will unfold at UFC 189 on July 11 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas when Nate Diaz and Matt Brown tangle in the Octagon. Fox Sports 1's UFC Tonight broke the news of the im read news >>