“Fight Master: Bellator MMA” Coaches Comment on New Role with Spike TV and Bellator

• submit to reddit

Bellator MMA LogoThe “Fight Master: Bellator MMA” coaches – Randy Couture, Frank Shamrock, Greg Jackson, and Joe Warren – comment on their new role with Spike TV and Bellator MMA.

Former two-division UFC champion and UFC Hall of Famer Randy “The Natural” Couture feels his deal with Spike TV is a good opportunity and gets him back to his coaching roots.

“This is a fantastic opportunity for me moving forward and for the sport of mixed martial arts,” said Couture during a Viacom press conference on Tuesday.

“I think coaching is where I started.  Before I ever started MMA, I was coaching at a university in Division I college wrestling.  It’s something I’ve always had an affinity for.  It’s something I enjoy.  I’m certainly a much better technical athlete now than I was six, seven, eight years ago.  All those things are things that bare on how I’ll coach and how I’ll relate to the athletes that I get to train on this show,” added Couture.

“It’s certainly nice to be working with a new promotion.  I’ve been interested and had a couple of athletes that I’ve trained that have already competed in Bellator, some of them making it all the way through to title fights, one of them in particular winning a title in Michael Chandler.  I like the progressive tournament format.  You get a chance to pick an athlete early in the tournament, follow them all the way through and I think you get a more significant chance to really see them develop and compete.  I think that’s what it’s about,” said Couture.

Former UFC, Strikeforce and WEC titleholder Frank Shamrock is excited for the reality show and what it can do for the sport of mixed martial arts.

“When Kevin Kay called me and told me what he wanted to do, I could hear the passion in his voice.  I could hear what he wanted to do with this sport, and for me, it was always about this sport.  This is one of the greatest sports.  It’s given me every opportunity to be successful, my family, my community.  Anyone who is willing to help out this sport and get behind it, I like to get behind them.  I got off that phone call very excited about the future of this show and the opportunities and the coaches.  He promised me the best in the world, and we got the best in the world.  I’m just excited about what this show could do for the sport,” said Shamrock.

For Greg Jackson, coaching on “Fight Master: Bellator MMA” is about helping athletes achieve their goals.

“The important thing is you can help as many people as you can help.  This gives me an opportunity, all of us really, an opportunity to kind of help these young fighters, up-and-coming that really work hard and deserve to have a place to showcase their skills, and it’s great they have this place,” said Jackson.

Greco-Roman wrestling standout and former Bellator featherweight champion Joe Warren rounds out the coaches and feels he’s carrying the Bellator flag into the reality show.

“I feel one advantage of being coached by me is being a person who has went through the tournament with Bellator and won a belt,” said Warren.  “Also, I’ve been with Bellator since the beginning.  I’m pretty much bleeding Bellator.  For me to have that kind of experience with Bjorn (Rebney) and the organization I think is awesome.  I think it will be a great coaching benefit.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

• 20 hours ago

Lion Fight has changed its plans for Aug. 1's Lion Fight 17, as the main event pitting Thepnimint Sitmonchai against Dean James has been scrapped. more

Bellator MMA featherweight champion Pat Curran will put his belt on the line against a familiar foe at Bellator 123.Filed under: Bellator, News more

The Scott Coker affect is in full effect. "No" UFC? No problem. After competing overseas for the last two years, Paul Daley will make his way back stateside later this year, as "Semtex" announced on "The MMA Hour" earlier today (July 21, 2014) that he has inked a deal with Bellator MMA. And it's all thanks to newly-appointed president of the Viacom-owned mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion, Scott Coker; a guy Daley knows very well, having competed for him four times before during his time as head more

• 20 hours ago

Watch Bellator 122 live stream online on MMA Fighting for the preliminary card at 7 p.m. ET. The fight card for this portion of the event is as follows:Kelly Anundson (8-2) vs. Philipe Lins (9-0)Poppies Martinez (26-9) vs. Bubba Jenkins (6-1)Dmitriy Sosnovskiy (8-0) vs. Manny Lara (4-4)Augusto Sakai (6-0) vs. Matt Frembling (9-2)Linton Vassell (13-3) vs. Virgil Zwicker (12-3)Fernando Gonzalez (20-12) vs. Karl Amoussou (17-6-2)Joe Duarte (10-3) vs. Saad Awad (15-6)Stephen Martinez (10-2) vs. Serg more

MMA Fighting has UFC Fight Night 43 results for the Te Huna vs. Marquardt fight card June 28 and live UFC Fight Night 43 twitter updates.In the main event, James Te Huna will square off against Nate Marquardt. Soa Palelei faces Jared Rosholt in the co-main event.Check out the UFC Fight Night 43 results below.Main card (UFC Fight Pass at 5 a.m. ET)James Te Huna vs. Nate MarquardtSoa Palelei vs. Jared RosholtHatsu Hioki vs. Charles OliveiraRobert Whittaker vs. Mike RhodesUndercard (UFC Fight Pass more

MMA Fighting has UFC Fight Night 44 results for the Swanson vs. Stephens fight card June 28 and live UFC Fight Night 44 twitter updates.In the main event, Cub Swanson will square off against Jeremy Stephens. Former TUF champ Kelvin Gastelum faces Nicholas Musoke in the co-main event.Check out the UFC Fight Night 44 results below. Main card (FOX Sports 1 at 10 p.m. ET)Cub Swanson vs. Jeremy StephensKelvin Gastelum vs. Nicholas MusokeCezar Ferreira vs. Andrew CraigRicardo Lamas vs. Hacran DiasClin more

A press conference announcing the full card is expected later this month. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight contender Thiago Silva has finally found an opponent for his return to mixed martial arts (MMA), taking on Mike Hayes at the Fight Time 20 event on Aug. 29, 2014, inside War Memorial Auditorium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. MMA Fighting brought word of the pending battle earlier today. Silva (16-3, 2 NC) hasn't seen action since huffing and puffing his way past M more

Before a Florida bill dropped that disallows access to these records, John S. Nash was able to procure various revenue details and payout records from every major MMA promotion that hosted shows in the state for the past few years. Yesterday, July 1st, marked the first day that the provisions in Florida bill HB 775 took effect. (A summary of HB 775 can be found here.) If you had read an earlier post I did on the contents of the bill, when it was known as HB 808, and Zuffa's lobbying efforts to s more

MMA Fighting has the TUF 19 Finale fight card for the Edgar vs. Penn 3 event at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on July 6.In the main event, Frankie Edgar and B.J. Penn will square off for the third time, but the first one at featherweight. Edgar has defeated Penn twice via unanimous decision at UFC 112 and UFC 118 at lightweight.Check out the TUF 19 Finale fight card below.Main card (FOX Sports 1 at 9 p.m ET)Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. PennCorey Anderson vs. Matt Van Buren (TUF light hea more