Daniel Straus Bellator 68Heading into 2012, Bellator featherweight Daniel Straus knew he needed to take chances if he was going to rebound off his loss to Patricio Freire in May of last year.

“Coming off that loss, I learned a lot,” said Straus. “It took a lot out of me. I wasn’t upset for myself, but was more upset with what I didn’t show.

“This year, coming back to Bellator, I wanted to be a different fighter and I wanted to stand out a little bit. I went back to the drawing board with my coaches and teammates and started working really hard. Coming back and getting some solid wins and winning (the Season 6 featherweight) tournament has helped me a lot.”

Having won three straight Bellator fights (four overall) and taking a tournament title would normally be enough for just about any fighter, but as Straus told MMAWeekly.com, he still feels he hasn’t delivered what he’s capable of.

“I’m not going to lie to you, I feel like I can do a lot better than I’ve been doing,” he said. “Even though my fight with Mike Corey was a great, great fight, I had a lot of holes and was missing a lot and didn’t perform to the level that I expected myself to perform. I feel like I have a long way to go.

“I really feel like I have more to offer and I’m just going to continue with that focus and motivation and get to the top.”

Rather than sit back and wait for his promised title shot for winning the tournament, Straus intends to stay busy, starting on Friday night when he takes on former UFC fighter Alvin “Kid” Robinson in Dayton, Ohio, at Bellator 78.

“He’s obviously a great ground guy, and I’m not afraid to go into his territory, but I obviously want to stay away from his strength,” said Straus of Robinson. “He has some solid stand-up. I feel like my stand-up is better, but he’s definitely still dangerous on his feet.

“He has great cardio and has a bunch of finishes, so he’s obviously a guy who knows how to come in shape and get the job done. He’s definitely an opponent to worry about.”

Though he’s in the advantageous position of having a title shot lined up, Straus is not looking past Robinson and intends to fight like he’s got something to prove.

“If you overlook an opponent, you’ll most likely lose that fight, so I try not to look past anybody,” said Straus. “I always feel like I’m the underdog, no matter what. I feel like if I look at it like that, I’ll fight like I’m the underdog and it’s going to give me the win.”

Should Straus get past Robinson, his next step is simple, be crowned Bellator 145-pound champion.

“My goal is to get that belt around my waist,” he said. “I’m waiting for the winner of the Patricio Freire and Pat Curran fight. I’d like to get a win over Alvin and find out who I’m fighting for the belt and get in there and get the job done against them as well.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your Bellator news and updates.

Undefeated Brent Primus Taking Aim at the Top of Bellator Lightweight Division

Undefeated Brent Primus is ready to get busy rising up the ranks, taking aim at the top of the Bellator lightweight division. read news >>

Conor McGregor Fires Back at Dana White's Comments at UFC 200 Presser

The press conference that the world has been waiting for. With UFC 197 just a day away, the UFC wanted to whet fans' appetites for UFC 200 with a press conference featuring the headliners for all thr read news >>

Michael Page and Fernando Gonzalez set to meet at Bellator 158 in London

Michael Page will take the next step in his Bellator career when he faces streaking welterweight Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator 158.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Matt Mitrione makes Bellator debut against Carl Seumanutafa at Bellator 157

Matt Mitrione will step into the Bellator cage for the first time at Bellator 157 when the heavyweight squares off with Carl Seumanutafa.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 153 results: Andrey Koreshkov dominates Benson Henderson to retain title

All the talk leading up to Bellator 153 revolved around Benson Henderson’s jump from the UFC to Bellator. Andrey Koreshkov put a five round beating on Henderson to retain his welterweight title and r read news >>

Twitter reacts to Benson Henderson's upset loss to champ Koreshkov at Bellator 153

Benson Henderson was supposed to make waves in the first fight of his Bellator career at Bellator 153. Apparently Andrey Koreshkov didn’t receive the memo. Check out the top reactions to Koreshkov’s read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Andrey Koreshkov Routes Benson Henderson to Keep the Belt

Benson Henderson received a rude welcome from welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov at Bellator 153 on Friday night in Uncasville, Conn. read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Benson Henderson Results: Winner, Reaction for Bellator 153

When the Bellator brass decided to put new free-agent signing Benson Henderson in a title fight with Andrey Koreshkov, there was the potential for its reigning champion to receive a huge boost in pro read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Koreshkov vs. Henderson Card

Bellator welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov was too big and strong for Benson Henderson on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. The 25-year-old Russian dominated the form read news >>

Bellator 153 highlights: Benson Henderson falters, and Michael Page taunts after toehold

Benson Henderson’s heavily promoted Bellator debut didn’t go as planned – not for him, anyway. Check out the video highlights of that headliner and other Bellator 153 bouts.Filed under: Bellator, Fea read news >>