Daniel Straus Bellator 68Heading into 2012, Bellator featherweight Daniel Straus knew he needed to take chances if he was going to rebound off his loss to Patricio Freire in May of last year.

“Coming off that loss, I learned a lot,” said Straus. “It took a lot out of me. I wasn’t upset for myself, but was more upset with what I didn’t show.

“This year, coming back to Bellator, I wanted to be a different fighter and I wanted to stand out a little bit. I went back to the drawing board with my coaches and teammates and started working really hard. Coming back and getting some solid wins and winning (the Season 6 featherweight) tournament has helped me a lot.”

Having won three straight Bellator fights (four overall) and taking a tournament title would normally be enough for just about any fighter, but as Straus told MMAWeekly.com, he still feels he hasn’t delivered what he’s capable of.

“I’m not going to lie to you, I feel like I can do a lot better than I’ve been doing,” he said. “Even though my fight with Mike Corey was a great, great fight, I had a lot of holes and was missing a lot and didn’t perform to the level that I expected myself to perform. I feel like I have a long way to go.

“I really feel like I have more to offer and I’m just going to continue with that focus and motivation and get to the top.”

Rather than sit back and wait for his promised title shot for winning the tournament, Straus intends to stay busy, starting on Friday night when he takes on former UFC fighter Alvin “Kid” Robinson in Dayton, Ohio, at Bellator 78.

“He’s obviously a great ground guy, and I’m not afraid to go into his territory, but I obviously want to stay away from his strength,” said Straus of Robinson. “He has some solid stand-up. I feel like my stand-up is better, but he’s definitely still dangerous on his feet.

“He has great cardio and has a bunch of finishes, so he’s obviously a guy who knows how to come in shape and get the job done. He’s definitely an opponent to worry about.”

Though he’s in the advantageous position of having a title shot lined up, Straus is not looking past Robinson and intends to fight like he’s got something to prove.

“If you overlook an opponent, you’ll most likely lose that fight, so I try not to look past anybody,” said Straus. “I always feel like I’m the underdog, no matter what. I feel like if I look at it like that, I’ll fight like I’m the underdog and it’s going to give me the win.”

Should Straus get past Robinson, his next step is simple, be crowned Bellator 145-pound champion.

“My goal is to get that belt around my waist,” he said. “I’m waiting for the winner of the Patricio Freire and Pat Curran fight. I’d like to get a win over Alvin and find out who I’m fighting for the belt and get in there and get the job done against them as well.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your Bellator news and updates.

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Daniel Cormier and Daniel Straus

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Daniel Cormier and Daniel Straus.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Little Things Mean a Lot in Daniel Straus’ Journey Back to Bellator Belt

Daniel Straus hasn't hide time to revamp his game since he last fought Patricio Pitbull, but he didn't need to. read news >>

Who Ya Got?!? Fighters predict Patricio 'Pitbull' vs. Daniel Straus 3 at Bellator 145

ST. LOUIS – We checked in with some of the fighters at Bellator 145 to get their thoughts on who will walk away with the featherweight belt in Friday’s main event – Patricio “Pitbull” or ex-champ Dan read news >>

Daniel Straus on Bellator champ 'Pitbull': 'Just a short guy that can punch hard'

Daniel Straus said he doesn’t view Friday’s Bellator 145 featherweight championship showdown with Patricio Freire as a last chance or do-or-die opportunity.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Daniel Straus on Bellator champ 'Pitbull': I would've 'smacked the sh-t out of him'

Bellator lightweight champion Patricio Freire had a run-in with Will Brooks earlier this week. Freire’s actual opponent, Daniel Straus, suggested the champ is lucky he didn’t run into him first.Filed read news >>

Bellator 145: Daniel Straus vs. Patricio Freire full fight video highlights

ST. LOUIS – In what was at times a classic brawl, Daniel Straus won the featherweight title with a unanimous decision win over champ Patricio Freire at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 145 Results: Daniel Straus Takes Featherweight Title from Patricio Freire

Daniel Straus went to war with Patricio Freire for 25 minutes before grabbing a unanimous decision to earn belt at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis on Friday night. read news >>

Bellator 145 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Freire vs. Straus 3

Daniel Straus finally got it right. On Friday night in St. Louis, Missouri at Bellator 145, Straus defeated long-time nemesis and reigning featherweight champion Patricio "Pitbull" Freire via unanimo read news >>

Bellator 145 event highlights: Daniel Straus wrests title from 'Pitbull' Freire in slugfest

Bellator returned on Friday with a a pair of title fights in St. Louis – and crowned a new champion in the main event.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Photo: New Bellator champ Daniel Straus badly broke his hand

After reclaiming his title in a grueling five-round affair, Daniel Straus’ revelation of a first-round hand break is all the more surprising. Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>