Fan Reaction to Story Win Blew Brenneman Away

• submit to reddit
Charlie Brenneman scored the biggest win of his career in June when he stepped in at the last minute and won a unanimous decision over Rick Story at UFC Live 4.

He’s back in action Saturday at UFC Live 6 in what could be another pivotal moment in his career. Ahead of his bout against Anthony Johnson, Brenneman joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss strategy, the UFC welterweight division and how his life has changed since his upset win over Story.

On whether fans recognize him now: “When I went to the UFC in Philly a couple of months ago, it blew my mind how many people knew me. When I fought out in Oakland or North Carolina, I would fight and then I would go get a beer or something and nobody even knew who I was. Here, it was as soon as I walked into the weigh-ins or in the lobby, it was, ‘Hey, can I get an autographed picture?’ I love it. That’s part of what fuels me to do what I do.”

On how he views the Story win: “I don’t rest on my laurels with that. It’s one of those things that it was neat that it happened. I’m fortunate that everything came together, but the business works like this: You’re as big as your next fight. It’s like, if I don’t do well against Anthony Johnson, then I’m a has-been, I got lucky, et cetera, et cetera. I really need to prove myself with this fight.”

On how he’ll approach the fight with Johnson: “I’m just going to keep moving. If he wants to strike with me, I’m not afraid to strike with him. Is it the smartest thing? Probably not, but I’ll do what I can to use that to my advantage.”

On Johnson’s performance against Dan Hardy: “Nothing against Dan Hardy -- he's a good guy -- but [Johnson] outwrestled Dan Hardy. Dan Hardy is not known to have very good wrestling. I think the reason that Johnson looked so good was because he dictated the fight. Whenever you can [choose] the path that you’re going to take and it goes accordingly, that’s a lot easier on your body. Had Hardy stopped those takedowns, had he made Anthony really fight for that stuff, then that puts a different twist on it. But to simply outwrestle Dan Hardy, no, that doesn’t intimidate me very much.”

On the size advantage Johnson will have and how much weight he cuts: “It definitely dictates what I’m going to try to do and how I try to do it. If I go punch for punch with him, it’s probably not going to be the smartest thing for me. I have to utilize my other skills as well.”

On whether a win puts him in the title hunt: “I agree with the people that I need to prove more than just beating Rick Story. But yeah, if I can beat Anthony Johnson, back to back, him and Story, then absolutely: I think I deserve to be in that mix. I don’t really think anyone would disagree with that argument.”

On who will win the upcoming bout between Johny Hendricks and Jon Fitch: “Hendricks and Fitch is an interesting fight. It’s one of those things where I definitely think Hendricks has the ability to beat him. I don’t think he will. I think Fitch will come out on top in this one, but a lot of people look at Fitch and Koscheck in the same realm that as long GSP is the champ, they’re not really going to get a crack at the title. That just depends on the bosses.”

On who will win between Georges St. Pierre and Carlos Condit: “I think GSP. I don’t want to say it’s going to be an easy fight. I just don’t see Condit having anything for GSP that he hasn’t seen before. With GSP’s wrestling-heavy game [and] Condit’s lack of wrestling, I see [GSP] taking it pretty decisively.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 41:33).

This past Saturday's (July 5, 2014) featured Daniel Cormier's final wrestling match, a win over the highly regarded Chris Pendleton. Bloody Elbow presents video of the match. At the UFC fan expo before UFC 175, UFC light heavyweight contender and two-time Olympian Daniel Cormier beat Chris Pendleton in a freestyle wrestling match, 12-5. For those unfamiliar with Pendleton, he achieved NCAA Division I All-American status three times (third, first and first at nationals), winning two NCAA champion more

Rick Story knows the value of wins and losses within the UFC's Octagon. On Wednesday, the fighter known as “The Horror” will step into the cage for fight No. 16. He's an athlete that's put together a string of impressive performances but has recently looked very subpar. Coming into his fight with Leonardo Mafra Teixeira, it's imperative the one-time welterweight contender puts on a display that leaves the fans and UFC matchmakers clamoring to see more of “The Horror” in action. Story will walk i more

ATLANTIC CITY – Born and raised in Washington, UFC welterweight Rick Story is proud to call the Pacific Northwest home. But "The Horror" believes a change of scenery may have provided him with just the edge he needs to climb back into the welterweight rankings. more

UFC light heavyweight Antonio Rogerio Nogueira knows any time he signs a bout agreement, as he did for this weekend’s UFC on FOX 12 event, there are going to be doubts about his ability to make it through training camp and show up on fight night. Filed under: News, UFC more

In the 197 pound quarterfinals of the 2006 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championship, current UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman defeated future UFC light heavyweight contender Ryan Bader in a wild 10-7 match. Bloody Elbow has acquired rare footage of this match. In the quarterfinals of the 2006 NCAA Wrestling Championships, Hofstra's unranked and unseeded Chris Weidman pulled off a shocking upset of Arizona State's returning All-American Ryan Bader. Weidman won an action-packed match to advan more

We answer your #themmahour questions on anything and everything going on in the MMA world. more

Following his FOTN win over Jeremy Stephens, Cub Swanson cemented his place as one of the UFC's top 3 featherweights in the latest rankings update. This past weekend's double dose of UFC Fight Nights ultimately was lacking in ranked fighters, save for the main event in San Antonio between Cub Swanson and Jeremy Stephens. Swanson's unanimous decision win not only greatly helped his rankings position, but he's all but earned himself a title shot and a rematch against one of Jose Aldo or Chad Mende more

At UFC 175, No. 3 middleweight contender Lyoto Machida will attempt to strip the championship title away from the division’s reigning champion, Chris Weidman. With the win, the Brazilian would set himself up to become the third mixed martial artist in UFC history to acquire a belt from two separate divisions. However, Machida’s opportunity to wrest the title away from Weidman does not come without its own set of challenges. Weidman is a NCAA Division I All-American wrestler who has transitioned more

Nick Newell is a story within mixed martial arts that is being missed by the mainstream sports world. This Saturday at World Series of Fighting 11 two undefeated lightweights will enter the cage to compete for the WSOF lightweight title. Justin Gaethje will defend his title against Newell but that isn't what makes this story stand out among others in the sport. Newell is a congenital amputee that hasn't allowed his condition to stop his meteoric rise to this point. Newell was born with a left ar more