Female transgender fighter Fallon Fox remained one of MMA’s hot-button topics on Saturday, garnering more national attention after earlier this week revealing her transgender status to SI.com.
Fox on Saturday appeared on CNN to explain some of the aftermath of the controversy surrounding her. Of note, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier this week, her fight license is under investigation by the Florida State Boxing Commission.
Fox a week ago scored a 39-second knockout in a fight in Coral Cables, Fla. As an amateur and a professional, Fox holds a 5-0 record, with all five wins coming in the first round.
Fox’s next bout was scheduled for April 20 as part of the semifinals in an eight-woman tournament at 145 pounds, is on hold – her promoter, Championship Fighting Alliance, has canceled the event in a show of support.
Fox told CNN that her participation in women’s MMA, despite being born a man, is “completely fair.”
“The medical community stands behind me in that in there’s no unfair competitive advantage, like my competition have said,” Fox said. “I started training in 2008, which is about two years after my gender reassignment surgery. My first MMA match was about a year and a half ago.”
Fox believes part of the cross she currently is bearing is to help provide some education for those who have questioned if she should be able to participate in the sport.
“I think that some people have a tendency not to pay attention to science in general, which is the way we find out about the world around us,” she said. “But I think for the most part, the reaction has been positive. Some of society just doesn’t get it yet, and what we’re trying to do right now is educate the world and let them know about transgender athletes.”
view original article >>