Fabricio-Werdum-to-UFC-460x270UFC heavyweight Fabricio Werdum is on the cusp of earning a UFC title shot.  He takes on fellow Brazilian and MMA legend Antionio Rodrigo Nogueira in the UFC on Fuel TV 10 main event on Saturday in hopes of moving one step closer to a title fight.

The two have fought once before in Japan under the Pride FC banner. Nogueira won the fight by unanimous decision, but this time Werdum feels things are going to be much different.

“I think this fight will be a lot different than our last fight in 2006.  I was a newcomer, but Nogueira was already a champion in the event.  He was already very famous in MMA.  I was purely a jiu-jitsu fighter,” Werdum told UFC.com.

“He defeated me.  He used his experience against me as a young new fighter.  I learned a lot from that fight as well.  I lost to him, but I learned a lot from that loss,” he said.

Werdum has come a long way since that fight in 2006.

“The main difference for me in this fight is that I’ve specialized and evolved with my career.  Today I’m a more complete professional, and now I’m specialized in Muay Thai as well,” he said.

The 35-year-old has his sights set on UFC gold, and Nogueira stands in his way.

“All I want now is to have a beautiful fight with Minotauro.  I want this to be an impressive fight.  I want to show everybody that I’m ready to be the world champion,” said Werdum.

“I have this great dream of becoming the UFC heavyweight champion,” he continued.  “I’ve always chased my dreams and I’ve always achieved them, that’s why I know I will be the UFC champion.”

Cain Velasquez rematches Fabricio Werdum at UFC 207 in Las Vegas

The two former heavyweight champions meet on Dec. 30. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez Rematch Booked for Year's End | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey fight card has been growing fast this week, but got its biggest addition yet on Thursday. read news >>

UFC 207: Cain Velasquez-Fabricio Werdum Rematch Official

UFC 207 was heavily rumored to contain a rematch between former heavyweight champions Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez, now the fight has been made official.Yahoo's Kevin Iole reported the mat read news >>

Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum to rematch at UFC 207

Former heavyweight champs will clash for a second time at UFC 207.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum vs. Cain Velasquez 2 official for UFC 207

A heavyweight title between former foes Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez has been added to UFC 207 in December.A heavyweight rematch between former champions Cain Velasquez vs. Fabrcio Werdum has b read news >>

Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum Announced for UFC 207: Comments, Reaction

Cain Velasquez lost to Fabricio Werdum by third-round submission at UFC 188 in June 2015, but the promotion announced Thursday that the 34-year-old will have a shot at redemption. According to the Lo read news >>

Werdum-Velasquez rematch set for UFC 207

There will be no world championship on the line when Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez meet for the second time in a UFC 207 bout on Friday, December 30 in Las Vegas. But don’t expect there to be an read news >>

Breaking down Werdum-Velasquez 2

The long-anticipated rematch between Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez at UFC 207 in Las Vegas closes out 2016 with what has now become a can’t-miss card, one that also features the return of Ronda read news >>

UFC 207 opening odds: Cain Velasquez the favorite over fellow ex-champ Fabricio Werdum

Who emerges victorious in UFC 207’s clash of former heavyweight champions?Filed under: News read news >>

Fabricio Werdum not happy with Reebok deal, says he's negotiating Nike sponsorship

• 21 hours ago

Former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum is not thrilled with the UFC’s Reebok deal and is working on an outside-the-cage sponsorship deal with the official apparel sponsor’s main rival.Filed read news >>