Fabricio Werdum has his sights firmly fixed on the UFC heavyweight championship following a second-round submission of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in Saturday night’s UFC on Fuel TV 10 headliner.

“I’m very happy, because Nogueira is a legend in this sport. I like him, and he is my good friend, but he punches very hard,” Werdum told Fox Sports following his victory over “Minotauro” at Paulo Sarasate Gymnasium in Fortaleza, Brazil. “I tried to [keep him] on the ground, but he stood up fast. But when I saw the opportunity on the ground, I took the armbar.”

With his 2006 loss to “Minotauro” avenged, Werdum has posted three straight wins since returning to the UFC last year. However, if Werdum is to receive the next title shot, he will have to wait for it, as champion Cain Velasquez is already committed to defend the belt against Junior dos Santos in a forthcoming rubber match.

Werdum, who spent one year on the sidelines in order to shoot “The Ultimate Fighter: Brasil” Season 2 opposite Nogueira, did not appear enthusiastic about the prospect of another long layoff. However, if the price for inactivity is a title shot, Werdum said he is game.

“I’m just waiting, because the next fight is Cain Velasquez versus ‘Cigano.’ If the UFC gave me the opportunity, I would fight for sure,” Werdum said at the post-fight press conference. “I mentioned about doing an ‘Ultimate Fighter’ in Mexico. I’m a commentator for the UFC in Spanish, because I lived for many years in Spain. I don’t know if [Velasquez will] beat Cigano, but I’m going to be there observing both. I already spent a year without fighting because of ‘TUF,’ but if the UFC says wait to fight the champ, then I will wait and train hard.”

Fabricio Werdum loves the support from Mexico, feels 'more Mexican than Cain'

Fabricio Werdum reveals how he gets a lot of support from Mexican fans through social media and still believes Cain stalled their fight on purpose. It's fight week for the UFC interim heavyweight cha read news >>

Trainer Javier Mendez: Cain Velasquez 'is gonna kill' Fabricio Werdum at UFC 188

Cain Velasquez's trainer Javier Mendez believes the UFC champion is on another level than his Brazilian challenger. This Saturday, Cain Velasquez will finally return to the Octagon and take on some u read news >>

UFC 188 Video: Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum Full Countdown Show

Watch UFC 188 headlining title fight in Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum get previewed in depth. UFC 188 is approaching and Zuffa has released their traditional countdown show to preview the upcomi read news >>

Video: 'Countdown to UFC 188: Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum' full segment

Did you miss Sunday’s debut of “Countdown to UFC 188,” or just want to watch it again? Check out the full segment devoted to headliners Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum.Filed under: News, UFC, Vide read news >>

Countdown to UFC 188: Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum

Go inside the training camps of UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and interim champ Fabricio Werdum as they prepare for battle at UFC 188. read news >>

Cain Velasquez's trainer Javier Mendez: Fabricio Werdum 'has no chance'

Few would argue that Cain Velasquez is the most talented all-around heavyweight in UFC history. But, in large part due to injuries, he's missing a big enough body of work to be called an all-time gre read news >>

UFC 188 extended video preview: I have the 'true belt,' Fabricio Werdum says

Check out an extended video preview of this month’s UFC 188 pay-per-view event, in which Fabricio Werdum makes a bold claim about the belt that was recently wrapped around his waist.Filed under: Feat read news >>

Video: Cain Velasquez prepares for Fabricio Werdum

Take a look behind the scenes at American Kickboxing Academy as UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez prepares for Fabricio Werdum at UFC 188. It's been almost two years since Cain Velasquez set fo read news >>

UFC 188 Extended Preview: Velasquez vs. Werdum and Melendez vs. Alvarez

Check out the UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum extended video preview, featuring Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum and Gilbert Melendez vs. Eddie Alvarez. read news >>

UFC 188 Full Fight Flashback: Fabricio Werdum Ends Fedor Emelianenko’s 8-Year Reign

Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and UFC heavyweight interim champ Fabricio Werdum used his submission skills against legendary MMA fighter Fedor Emelianenko. read news >>