Fabricio Werdum has his sights firmly fixed on the UFC heavyweight championship following a second-round submission of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in Saturday night’s UFC on Fuel TV 10 headliner.

“I’m very happy, because Nogueira is a legend in this sport. I like him, and he is my good friend, but he punches very hard,” Werdum told Fox Sports following his victory over “Minotauro” at Paulo Sarasate Gymnasium in Fortaleza, Brazil. “I tried to [keep him] on the ground, but he stood up fast. But when I saw the opportunity on the ground, I took the armbar.”

With his 2006 loss to “Minotauro” avenged, Werdum has posted three straight wins since returning to the UFC last year. However, if Werdum is to receive the next title shot, he will have to wait for it, as champion Cain Velasquez is already committed to defend the belt against Junior dos Santos in a forthcoming rubber match.

Werdum, who spent one year on the sidelines in order to shoot “The Ultimate Fighter: Brasil” Season 2 opposite Nogueira, did not appear enthusiastic about the prospect of another long layoff. However, if the price for inactivity is a title shot, Werdum said he is game.

“I’m just waiting, because the next fight is Cain Velasquez versus ‘Cigano.’ If the UFC gave me the opportunity, I would fight for sure,” Werdum said at the post-fight press conference. “I mentioned about doing an ‘Ultimate Fighter’ in Mexico. I’m a commentator for the UFC in Spanish, because I lived for many years in Spain. I don’t know if [Velasquez will] beat Cigano, but I’m going to be there observing both. I already spent a year without fighting because of ‘TUF,’ but if the UFC says wait to fight the champ, then I will wait and train hard.”

UFC 203 Free Fight: Fabricio Werdum’s Submission Win Over Cain Velasquez

At UFC 188 in June 2015, Fabricio Werdum won the heavyweight title by submitting Cain Velasquez. Watch the full fight video. read news >>

UFC 203 Countdown Video: Fabricio Werdum vs. Travis Browne

Former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum and Travis Browne seek an emphatic win in a rematch of their 2014 bout in the UFC 203 co-main event. read news >>

Travis Browne, 'I'm Here to Piss in His Cheerios' (UFC 203 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Fabricio Werdum has hatched a plan, but seems to have forgotten that Travis Browne might have plans of his own for UFC 203. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Reveals His Plan to Get the Title Back (UFC 203 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum plans to get back to a title fight by defeating Travis Browne again at UFC 203 on Saturday. read news >>

The past and present of Werdum vs Browne

Fabricio Werdum defeated Travis Browne by decision in 2014 that ultimately led to a title shot. On Saturday at UFC 203 the two will meet again in a pivotal rematch. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum, Urijah Faber, Other Fighters Stuck in Elevator Before UFC 203

Every bad guy in the hotel had to be counting their lucky stars they weren't on this elevator. It wouldn't have ended well for them. Not when Fabricio Werdum, Urijah Faber, CB Dollaway and a host of read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Kicks Travis Browne's Coach in Cage After Fight at UFC 203

UFC 203 will go down as one of the UFC's stranger cards, but even on a night with a 0-0 ex-WWE wrestler making his MMA debut, nothing tops what happened after the co-main event fight between Fabricio read news >>

UFC 203 Results: Fabricio Werdum Defeats Travis Browne in Controversial Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum bounced back from losing the title in his last outing by defeating Travis Browne in the UFC 203 co-main event. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum vs. Travis Browne Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

In his first match since losing the heavyweight title, Fabricio Werdum got back in the win column by defeating Travis Browne via unanimous decision at UFC 203 in Cleveland. According to Yahoo Sports' read news >>

UFC 203 Fight Highlights: Fabricio Werdum and Travis Browne's Controversial Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum took on sixth-ranked Travis Browne in the UFC 203 co-main event on Saturday in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>