Fabricio Werdum has his sights firmly fixed on the UFC heavyweight championship following a second-round submission of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in Saturday night’s UFC on Fuel TV 10 headliner.

“I’m very happy, because Nogueira is a legend in this sport. I like him, and he is my good friend, but he punches very hard,” Werdum told Fox Sports following his victory over “Minotauro” at Paulo Sarasate Gymnasium in Fortaleza, Brazil. “I tried to [keep him] on the ground, but he stood up fast. But when I saw the opportunity on the ground, I took the armbar.”

With his 2006 loss to “Minotauro” avenged, Werdum has posted three straight wins since returning to the UFC last year. However, if Werdum is to receive the next title shot, he will have to wait for it, as champion Cain Velasquez is already committed to defend the belt against Junior dos Santos in a forthcoming rubber match.

Werdum, who spent one year on the sidelines in order to shoot “The Ultimate Fighter: Brasil” Season 2 opposite Nogueira, did not appear enthusiastic about the prospect of another long layoff. However, if the price for inactivity is a title shot, Werdum said he is game.

“I’m just waiting, because the next fight is Cain Velasquez versus ‘Cigano.’ If the UFC gave me the opportunity, I would fight for sure,” Werdum said at the post-fight press conference. “I mentioned about doing an ‘Ultimate Fighter’ in Mexico. I’m a commentator for the UFC in Spanish, because I lived for many years in Spain. I don’t know if [Velasquez will] beat Cigano, but I’m going to be there observing both. I already spent a year without fighting because of ‘TUF,’ but if the UFC says wait to fight the champ, then I will wait and train hard.”

Khabib Nurmagomedov Taunts Eddie Alvarez, Conor McGregor Ahead of Next UFC Fight

UFC lightweight star Khabib Nurmagomedov has revealed he’s waiting on champion Eddie Alvarez to sign a contract sanctioning an upcoming bout and has also sent a message to featherweight champion Cono read news >>

Conor McGregor's trash-talking school is now in session

Conor McGregor has started his own trash talking school. What are you waiting for? Enroll today! read news >>

Julianna Pena wants a title shot, says UFC is waiting on 'Princess Royal Ronda'

No. 5 ranked Julianna Pena is not willing to settle for anythingless than the title or a shot at Ronda Rousey. She says she is willing to wait.Julianna Pena was a guest on The MMA Hour hosted by Arie read news >>

UFC 204: Cool Customer Gegard Mousasi Finally Heating Up After Vitor Belfort TKO

For years, people have been waiting for Gegard Mousasi to break out. Perhaps one of the most talented but least excitable fighters in the UFC is finally about to get his moment. Mousasi launched hims read news >>

Cain Velasquez rematches Fabricio Werdum at UFC 207 in Las Vegas

• a day ago

The two former heavyweight champions meet on Dec. 30. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez Rematch Booked for Year's End | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

The UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey fight card has been growing fast this week, but got its biggest addition yet on Thursday. read news >>

UFC 207: Cain Velasquez-Fabricio Werdum Rematch Official

• a day ago

UFC 207 was heavily rumored to contain a rematch between former heavyweight champions Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez, now the fight has been made official.Yahoo's Kevin Iole reported the mat read news >>

Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum to rematch at UFC 207

• a day ago

Former heavyweight champs will clash for a second time at UFC 207.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum vs. Cain Velasquez 2 official for UFC 207

• a day ago

A heavyweight title between former foes Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez has been added to UFC 207 in December.A heavyweight rematch between former champions Cain Velasquez vs. Fabrcio Werdum has b read news >>

Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum Announced for UFC 207: Comments, Reaction

• a day ago

Cain Velasquez lost to Fabricio Werdum by third-round submission at UFC 188 in June 2015, but the promotion announced Thursday that the 34-year-old will have a shot at redemption. According to the Lo read news >>