After losing to Junior dos Santos in 2008, Fabricio Werdum embarked on a career outside the UFC, signing with Strikeforce and earning the biggest victory of his life against heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko.

The BJJ black belt returned to the Octagon this month with an important victory over Roy Nelson at UFC 143 and is now preparing to serve as Wanderlei Silva’s jiu-jitsu coach on “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil.” Speaking this week with Sherdog.com, Werdum gave his thoughts on the Nelson fight, why he thinks “Big Country” could flourish at 205 pounds, and his desire to fight on the UFC’s June card in Brazil.

Fabricio Werdum: The concern wasn’t with his tactics, but with our own. I was very focused on training, and what inspired me was Wanderlei’s victory over Cung Le [at UFC 139]. I was there and saw the very good communication between [trainer] Rafael Cordeiro, Andre Dida and Wand. I looked up to that. I saw that Wand followed the tactic strictly, because it was an important fight for him to win. So, I wanted to do the same. What we planned on in training, we did in the fight.

Werdum: I was expecting it. It’s a characteristic of Roy’s, to withstand a beating. If there was another fighter who got cut like that, they could be shaken. One thing I didn’t feel from him was his strength. I don’t know if it was the diet or what he did to lose weight, but his strength wasn’t what I expected. We were sparring in the gym with Orlando Sanchez; he’s very strong and 275 pounds, so we hired him. We did a lot of clinch training, but in the fight, I didn’t feel pressure from Nelson. I was careful of his right hand because, yes, it’s heavy, but I didn’t feel his strength in the clinch.

Werdum: There’s nothing right now, but I’m pushing to fight at UFC in Sao Paulo. I’ll make it happen. Since I’m part of Wand’s team on “TUF,” it would be cool to fight at this event also, to complete our work. You can do the “TUF” well and then fight.

Werdum: When I entered and the song played, I laughed. I like the mood of the music, and it’s so popular in Brazil right now that I thought of the crowd in Sao Paulo singing the song. I’m imagining it in the UFC show in Sao Paulo. It would be like Paulo Thiago’s entrance [at UFC 134 in Rio], where everyone sang “Tropa de Elite.”

Werdum: I think he’s suited to be stronger at light heavyweight. Maybe it’s just like Samson, cutting his hair and losing his strength (laughs). He showed the world that he can be strong in any category. He knocked out Brendan Schaub and “Cro Cop” [Mirko Filipovic]. He would do well in our division, but I think it’s better for him to go to light heavyweight.

UFC Entices Carlos Condit to Return with Risky Match Versus Demian Maia

Carlos Condit will return to the cage after all. After losing a thin decision to champion Robbie Lawler in January, the popular welterweight wondered aloud about his future in fighting. “I’ve been at read news >>

Zingano's break gave time to gain back her passion

Cat Zingano took a break from MMA after losing to Ronda Rousey. Now she's back, re-focused and will fight Julianna Pena at UFC 200. read news >>

UFC 200 Video: Amanda Nunes – All In

Before the biggest fight of her career against Miesha Tate at UFC 200, get an inside look at the life Amanda Nunes. read news >>

VIDEO: Rafael dos Anjos Would Welcome a Conor McGregor Move to Lightweight

Although their scheduled bout at 155 pounds never came to fruition, champion Rafael dos Anjos says he would still welcome Conor McGregor to lightweight. read news >>

Jose Torres taking IMMAF success to the pros

Jose Torres's amateur career consisted of 25 consecutive wins and two world championship. Now he's finally in the pros and thus far his success is translating. read news >>

Roy Nelson: ‘Derrick Lewis is the Black Fedor’ (Full Scrum Video)

Heading into his UFC Fight Night 90 "black panty night" co-main event, Roy Nelson calls his opponent, knockout artist Derrick Lewis, the Black Fedor. read news >>

Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 200

UFC 200 is a huge event on many levels, but Mark Hunt and Brock Lesnar will make it gigantic in the most literal sense when they step into the cage Saturday night in the main event, after the UFC rem read news >>

Miesha Tate vs. Amanda Nunes: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 200

After years of playing second fiddle to Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate finally became the champion of the women's bantamweight division at UFC 196. Now, she'll look to use the grand stage of UFC 200 to ke read news >>

UFC Fight Night 90 Results: Derrick Lewis Takes Split Decision Over Roy Nelson, Calls for Rematch

Rising heavyweight Derrick Lewis requested a fight against tenth ranked Roy Nelson and got what he asked for on Thursday in the UFC Fight Night 90 co-main event in Las Vegas. read news >>

Roy Nelson vs. Derrick Lewis Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC FN 90

Derrick Lewis defeated Roy Nelson by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) at UFC Fight Night 90. It was a clash of styles, and the Las Vegas crowd was not a fan of the scorecards that were read. We w read news >>