After losing to Junior dos Santos in 2008, Fabricio Werdum embarked on a career outside the UFC, signing with Strikeforce and earning the biggest victory of his life against heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko.

The BJJ black belt returned to the Octagon this month with an important victory over Roy Nelson at UFC 143 and is now preparing to serve as Wanderlei Silva’s jiu-jitsu coach on “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil.” Speaking this week with, Werdum gave his thoughts on the Nelson fight, why he thinks “Big Country” could flourish at 205 pounds, and his desire to fight on the UFC’s June card in Brazil.

Fabricio Werdum: The concern wasn’t with his tactics, but with our own. I was very focused on training, and what inspired me was Wanderlei’s victory over Cung Le [at UFC 139]. I was there and saw the very good communication between [trainer] Rafael Cordeiro, Andre Dida and Wand. I looked up to that. I saw that Wand followed the tactic strictly, because it was an important fight for him to win. So, I wanted to do the same. What we planned on in training, we did in the fight.

Werdum: I was expecting it. It’s a characteristic of Roy’s, to withstand a beating. If there was another fighter who got cut like that, they could be shaken. One thing I didn’t feel from him was his strength. I don’t know if it was the diet or what he did to lose weight, but his strength wasn’t what I expected. We were sparring in the gym with Orlando Sanchez; he’s very strong and 275 pounds, so we hired him. We did a lot of clinch training, but in the fight, I didn’t feel pressure from Nelson. I was careful of his right hand because, yes, it’s heavy, but I didn’t feel his strength in the clinch.

Werdum: There’s nothing right now, but I’m pushing to fight at UFC in Sao Paulo. I’ll make it happen. Since I’m part of Wand’s team on “TUF,” it would be cool to fight at this event also, to complete our work. You can do the “TUF” well and then fight.

Werdum: When I entered and the song played, I laughed. I like the mood of the music, and it’s so popular in Brazil right now that I thought of the crowd in Sao Paulo singing the song. I’m imagining it in the UFC show in Sao Paulo. It would be like Paulo Thiago’s entrance [at UFC 134 in Rio], where everyone sang “Tropa de Elite.”

Werdum: I think he’s suited to be stronger at light heavyweight. Maybe it’s just like Samson, cutting his hair and losing his strength (laughs). He showed the world that he can be strong in any category. He knocked out Brendan Schaub and “Cro Cop” [Mirko Filipovic]. He would do well in our division, but I think it’s better for him to go to light heavyweight.

UFC Fight Night 95: Renan Barao vs. Phillipe Nover video highlights

After the first two-fight losing skid of his career, Renan Barao is back in the win column. The former bantamweight champ picked up a much-needed win over Phillipe Nover.Filed under: News, UFC, Video read news >>

Despite Losing Close Career Finale, Dan Henderson Goes out as Only 'Hendo' Can

When it was over, when the final horn sounded and the lights went up on the Manchester Arena in England, no one could really be sure what they had just witnessed. A 46-year-old man as UFC world middl read news >>

Dan Henderson Stands By Retirement Talk, Calls It a Career at UFC 204 |

Dan Henderson has been competing in MMA for nearly two decades, but he confirmed that UFC 204 was the last time we will see him fighting in the Octagon. read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for Dan Henderson and UFC 204's other losing fighters?

With another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 204’s losing fighters.Filed und read news >>

UFC 204 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 204 in Manchester, England, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reaction read news >>

Dan Henderson Frustrated by Finale, but Saitisfied by His Career (UFC 204 video) |

After fighting for nearly two decades, Dan Henderson may have been frustrated by Saturday's outcome, but he's certainly not disappointed in the career he's had. read news >>

Dominick Cruz Would Fight Conor McGregor at 145 or Even 155 Pounds (video) |

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz isn't going to call out Conor McGregor, but he's willing to fight him at 145 or even 155 pounds. read news >>

Report: Former Dallas Cowboy Greg Hardy aiming for MMA career

Greg Hardy remains a free agent, but the troubled former Dallas Cowboys defensive end apparently has a new profession in mind: MMA.Filed under: News read news >>

Troubled NFL Vet Greg Hardy Pursuing MMA Career |

Beleaguered NFL free agent Greg Hardy is reportedly going to try and put his troubled past in the rear-view mirror by making a run in mixed martial arts. read news >>

Cub Swanson, Doo Ho Choi clash at UFC 206

At UFC 206, Doo Ho Choi will get the biggest test of his career in Cub Swanson, who he's been asking for since his last win.UFC 206 is the UFC's return to Toronto and many are expecting Geo read news >>