After losing to Junior dos Santos in 2008, Fabricio Werdum embarked on a career outside the UFC, signing with Strikeforce and earning the biggest victory of his life against heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko.

The BJJ black belt returned to the Octagon this month with an important victory over Roy Nelson at UFC 143 and is now preparing to serve as Wanderlei Silva’s jiu-jitsu coach on “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil.” Speaking this week with Sherdog.com, Werdum gave his thoughts on the Nelson fight, why he thinks “Big Country” could flourish at 205 pounds, and his desire to fight on the UFC’s June card in Brazil.

Fabricio Werdum: The concern wasn’t with his tactics, but with our own. I was very focused on training, and what inspired me was Wanderlei’s victory over Cung Le [at UFC 139]. I was there and saw the very good communication between [trainer] Rafael Cordeiro, Andre Dida and Wand. I looked up to that. I saw that Wand followed the tactic strictly, because it was an important fight for him to win. So, I wanted to do the same. What we planned on in training, we did in the fight.

Werdum: I was expecting it. It’s a characteristic of Roy’s, to withstand a beating. If there was another fighter who got cut like that, they could be shaken. One thing I didn’t feel from him was his strength. I don’t know if it was the diet or what he did to lose weight, but his strength wasn’t what I expected. We were sparring in the gym with Orlando Sanchez; he’s very strong and 275 pounds, so we hired him. We did a lot of clinch training, but in the fight, I didn’t feel pressure from Nelson. I was careful of his right hand because, yes, it’s heavy, but I didn’t feel his strength in the clinch.

Werdum: There’s nothing right now, but I’m pushing to fight at UFC in Sao Paulo. I’ll make it happen. Since I’m part of Wand’s team on “TUF,” it would be cool to fight at this event also, to complete our work. You can do the “TUF” well and then fight.

Werdum: When I entered and the song played, I laughed. I like the mood of the music, and it’s so popular in Brazil right now that I thought of the crowd in Sao Paulo singing the song. I’m imagining it in the UFC show in Sao Paulo. It would be like Paulo Thiago’s entrance [at UFC 134 in Rio], where everyone sang “Tropa de Elite.”

Werdum: I think he’s suited to be stronger at light heavyweight. Maybe it’s just like Samson, cutting his hair and losing his strength (laughs). He showed the world that he can be strong in any category. He knocked out Brendan Schaub and “Cro Cop” [Mirko Filipovic]. He would do well in our division, but I think it’s better for him to go to light heavyweight.

Rafael dos Anjos: 'I've Fought Better Guys Than Tony Ferguson' | MMAWeekly.com

Former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos looks to bounce back after losing the belt to Eddie Alvarez, when he faces Tony Ferguson on Saturday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 98 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 98 event in Mexico City several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react t read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Dominick Cruz and Junior Dos Santos

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Dominick Cruz and Junior Dos Santos.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Real journey' to begin for Alvarez at UFC 205

Eddie Alvarez says the real journey of his career will begin this Saturday, when he takes on Conor McGregor for the lightweight title at UFC 205 in New York City at Madison Square Garden. read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Junior Dos Santos

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guest Junior Dos Santos.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Alvarez vs. McGregor: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 205

Conor McGregor has the opportunity to send his already notorious legacy into orbit on Saturday, November 12, when he takes on Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205. The UFC featherweight champion will look to bec read news >>

Bellator champ Koreshkov not bothered by Lima's injury claims, but says all fighters deal with them

After losing Bellator’s welterweight belt to Andrey Koreshkov last year, Douglas Lima said that, impaired by injuries, he shouldn’t even have been in the cage that night. But the current champ, it se read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2323 with ex-UFC champ Junior Dos Santos

Stream or download Wednesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with former UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Woodley fine with proving people wrong, again

Tyron Woodley has been proving people wrong his whole career. Now he's the welterweight champ and is still an underdog and is ready to prove the doubters wrong yet again. read news >>

Video: Is UFC 205's Thiago Alves really ready for his cut down to 155 pounds?

NEW YORK – Is former UFC welterweight title challenger Thiago Alves really ready for his cut down to 155 pounds, or is it going to be too big of a challenge for the UFC 205 fighter?Filed under: Featu read news >>