After losing to Junior dos Santos in 2008, Fabricio Werdum embarked on a career outside the UFC, signing with Strikeforce and earning the biggest victory of his life against heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko.

The BJJ black belt returned to the Octagon this month with an important victory over Roy Nelson at UFC 143 and is now preparing to serve as Wanderlei Silva’s jiu-jitsu coach on “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil.” Speaking this week with Sherdog.com, Werdum gave his thoughts on the Nelson fight, why he thinks “Big Country” could flourish at 205 pounds, and his desire to fight on the UFC’s June card in Brazil.

Fabricio Werdum: The concern wasn’t with his tactics, but with our own. I was very focused on training, and what inspired me was Wanderlei’s victory over Cung Le [at UFC 139]. I was there and saw the very good communication between [trainer] Rafael Cordeiro, Andre Dida and Wand. I looked up to that. I saw that Wand followed the tactic strictly, because it was an important fight for him to win. So, I wanted to do the same. What we planned on in training, we did in the fight.

Werdum: I was expecting it. It’s a characteristic of Roy’s, to withstand a beating. If there was another fighter who got cut like that, they could be shaken. One thing I didn’t feel from him was his strength. I don’t know if it was the diet or what he did to lose weight, but his strength wasn’t what I expected. We were sparring in the gym with Orlando Sanchez; he’s very strong and 275 pounds, so we hired him. We did a lot of clinch training, but in the fight, I didn’t feel pressure from Nelson. I was careful of his right hand because, yes, it’s heavy, but I didn’t feel his strength in the clinch.

Werdum: There’s nothing right now, but I’m pushing to fight at UFC in Sao Paulo. I’ll make it happen. Since I’m part of Wand’s team on “TUF,” it would be cool to fight at this event also, to complete our work. You can do the “TUF” well and then fight.

Werdum: When I entered and the song played, I laughed. I like the mood of the music, and it’s so popular in Brazil right now that I thought of the crowd in Sao Paulo singing the song. I’m imagining it in the UFC show in Sao Paulo. It would be like Paulo Thiago’s entrance [at UFC 134 in Rio], where everyone sang “Tropa de Elite.”

Werdum: I think he’s suited to be stronger at light heavyweight. Maybe it’s just like Samson, cutting his hair and losing his strength (laughs). He showed the world that he can be strong in any category. He knocked out Brendan Schaub and “Cro Cop” [Mirko Filipovic]. He would do well in our division, but I think it’s better for him to go to light heavyweight.

Luke Rockhold Thought Fabricio Werdum Was a Joke with his Stupid Face (UFC 199 Video)

As a UFC champion, Luke Rockhold is not a fan of Fabricio Werdum and the way he carried himself as the UFC heavyweight champion. read news >>

Can Luke Rockhold Be Anderson Silva's True Successor as Middleweight Kingpin?

Since losing his UFC debut to Vitor Belfort in May 2013, Luke Rockhold has been on a devastating run. He has finished all five of his opponents, three by submission and two with strikes, and only one read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

Former Lightweight Champ Anthony Pettis Moving to the Featherweight Division

After losing three consecutive bouts, former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis plans to make the move down to the featherweight division. read news >>

‘Kimbo Slice’ Wanted to Be Remembered as a Family Man and as a Fighter Who Evolved

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson started his fighting career as a street fighter with heavy hands made famous by Youtube videos of his backyard brawls. read news >>

How Well Do You Remember the Career of Kimbo Slice?

Test your knowledge with a look back at the life and career of Kimbo Slice. read news >>

Ben Reiter Expecting to ‘Impose His Will’ at Bellator 156

Though he suffered the first loss of his career last November to Francisco France at Bellator 146, middleweight up-and-comer Ben Reiter doesn’t feel he was beaten in the fight. read news >>

Mike Santiago Taking Career to New Heights Heading into RFA 39

Following some rocky roads early on, Mike Santiago is taking his career to new heights heading into RFA 39. read news >>