After losing to Junior dos Santos in 2008, Fabricio Werdum embarked on a career outside the UFC, signing with Strikeforce and earning the biggest victory of his life against heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko.

The BJJ black belt returned to the Octagon this month with an important victory over Roy Nelson at UFC 143 and is now preparing to serve as Wanderlei Silva’s jiu-jitsu coach on “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil.” Speaking this week with Sherdog.com, Werdum gave his thoughts on the Nelson fight, why he thinks “Big Country” could flourish at 205 pounds, and his desire to fight on the UFC’s June card in Brazil.

Fabricio Werdum: The concern wasn’t with his tactics, but with our own. I was very focused on training, and what inspired me was Wanderlei’s victory over Cung Le [at UFC 139]. I was there and saw the very good communication between [trainer] Rafael Cordeiro, Andre Dida and Wand. I looked up to that. I saw that Wand followed the tactic strictly, because it was an important fight for him to win. So, I wanted to do the same. What we planned on in training, we did in the fight.

Werdum: I was expecting it. It’s a characteristic of Roy’s, to withstand a beating. If there was another fighter who got cut like that, they could be shaken. One thing I didn’t feel from him was his strength. I don’t know if it was the diet or what he did to lose weight, but his strength wasn’t what I expected. We were sparring in the gym with Orlando Sanchez; he’s very strong and 275 pounds, so we hired him. We did a lot of clinch training, but in the fight, I didn’t feel pressure from Nelson. I was careful of his right hand because, yes, it’s heavy, but I didn’t feel his strength in the clinch.

Werdum: There’s nothing right now, but I’m pushing to fight at UFC in Sao Paulo. I’ll make it happen. Since I’m part of Wand’s team on “TUF,” it would be cool to fight at this event also, to complete our work. You can do the “TUF” well and then fight.

Werdum: When I entered and the song played, I laughed. I like the mood of the music, and it’s so popular in Brazil right now that I thought of the crowd in Sao Paulo singing the song. I’m imagining it in the UFC show in Sao Paulo. It would be like Paulo Thiago’s entrance [at UFC 134 in Rio], where everyone sang “Tropa de Elite.”

Werdum: I think he’s suited to be stronger at light heavyweight. Maybe it’s just like Samson, cutting his hair and losing his strength (laughs). He showed the world that he can be strong in any category. He knocked out Brendan Schaub and “Cro Cop” [Mirko Filipovic]. He would do well in our division, but I think it’s better for him to go to light heavyweight.

Fabricio Werdum Admits to Asking for More Money to Fight Junior dos Santos | MMAWeekly.com

Top heavyweight contender Fabrico Werdum admitted that he asked for more money to fight Junior dos Santos when Cain Velasquez was pulled from UFC 207. read news >>

Dominick Cruz: Part of Life is Losing (UFC 207 video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dominick Cruz handled losing his bantamweight belt to Cody Garbrandt quite well on Friday night, chalking it up to life. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Towers Over UFC 207 Fighter Salaries | MMAWeekly.com

Despite losing the fight, Ronda Rousey towered over the UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey disclosed fighter payroll. read news >>

Amanda Nunes: What Will She Do with Her Money? (UFC 207 video) | MMAWeekly.com

What will Amanda Nunes do with the money she made from the biggest fight of her career after beating Ronda Rousey at UFC 207? read news >>

UFC Matchmaker: What's next for Ronda Rousey, Dominick Cruz and UFC 207's other losing fighters?

With another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 207’s losing fighters.Filed read news >>

UFC 207 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Friday’s UFC 207 event in Las Vegas several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>

Tito Ortiz told Cris 'Cyborg' Justino to take featherweight title fight

Before Cris “Cyborg” Justino’s MMA career came to an abrupt halt, Tito Ortiz advised her to take a women’s featherweight title bout offered by the UFC.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Jan. 3: Meet the new No. 1 at 135 pounds

With his impressive win following a truly remarkable 2016 campaign, UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt is the new No. 1 at 135 pounds.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, U read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson's next career step? At least 12 title defenses

UFC flyweight Demetrious Johnson remains unbooked for his next title defense, but his immediate career plan is set.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After Losing Bet to Cody Garbrandt, Forrest Griffin Pays Up by Shaving Head | MMAWeekly.com

Cody Garbrandt won the UFC bantamweight title at UFC 207, but that wasn't the only thing he won. Just ask Forrest Griffin. read news >>