Fabricio Werdum wants a crack at the gold.

Following his first-round knockout of Mike Russow at UFC 147 on Saturday night, Werdum said he was ready to take on heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos -- should the UFC desire. However, if the promotion has other plans, “Vai Cavalo” has no problem fighting again before challenging for the title.

“For sure, I’m close [to a title shot] now. If the UFC asks, then I’m ready for sure,” Werdum told Fox Sports after his win, “but maybe [I will have] one more fight, maybe on the [Cain] Velasquez-dos Santos card. After that, if I win, maybe I will fight [the champion] in Brazil. I don’t know. I’m just here to fight.”

Dos Santos is the man who ended Werdum’s first UFC run in 2008. Then an Octagon debutant, “Cigano” sent Werdum packing with a devastating uppercut at UFC 90. Since the loss, Werdum has won five of six, returning to the UFC in February and blasting Roy Nelson with punches and knees en route to a unanimous decision win at UFC 143.

Russow fared even worse than “Big Country” on Saturday night, as the American found himself standing at the end of Werdum’s range in the bout’s opening minutes before catching a hard uppercut on the jaw. Russow collapsed to his knees and Werdum followed him down, dropping punches and hammerfists for a first-round stoppage.

“I was doing a lot for this fight for three months at Kings MMA,” said Werdum. “I’m very happy because it’s a big difference, fighting in Brazil. I haven’t fought in Brazil in, like, nine years. Just to hear [the fans] say my nickname [made] me very happy.”

Werdum used the overwhelming crowd support as extra motivation to earn his victory over Russow, who had never before been knocked out. Now, the former Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion looks toward his next fight. Though his opponent and fight date are both currently unknown, Werdum says he will get back to his training regimen in short order and begin his preparation.

“I’m just going to rest for one week. Then, I will go back to training again,” said Werdum. “I’m just going to wait for what the UFC says.”

Cain Velasquez rematches Fabricio Werdum at UFC 207 in Las Vegas

The two former heavyweight champions meet on Dec. 30. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez Rematch Booked for Year's End | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey fight card has been growing fast this week, but got its biggest addition yet on Thursday. read news >>

UFC 207: Cain Velasquez-Fabricio Werdum Rematch Official

UFC 207 was heavily rumored to contain a rematch between former heavyweight champions Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez, now the fight has been made official.Yahoo's Kevin Iole reported the mat read news >>

Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum to rematch at UFC 207

Former heavyweight champs will clash for a second time at UFC 207.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Fabricio Werdum vs. Cain Velasquez 2 official for UFC 207

A heavyweight title between former foes Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez has been added to UFC 207 in December.A heavyweight rematch between former champions Cain Velasquez vs. Fabrcio Werdum has b read news >>

Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum Announced for UFC 207: Comments, Reaction

Cain Velasquez lost to Fabricio Werdum by third-round submission at UFC 188 in June 2015, but the promotion announced Thursday that the 34-year-old will have a shot at redemption. According to the Lo read news >>

Werdum-Velasquez rematch set for UFC 207

There will be no world championship on the line when Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez meet for the second time in a UFC 207 bout on Friday, December 30 in Las Vegas. But don’t expect there to be an read news >>

Breaking down Werdum-Velasquez 2

The long-anticipated rematch between Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez at UFC 207 in Las Vegas closes out 2016 with what has now become a can’t-miss card, one that also features the return of Ronda read news >>

UFC 207 opening odds: Cain Velasquez the favorite over fellow ex-champ Fabricio Werdum

Who emerges victorious in UFC 207’s clash of former heavyweight champions?Filed under: News read news >>

Fabricio Werdum not happy with Reebok deal, says he's negotiating Nike sponsorship

• a day ago

Former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum is not thrilled with the UFC’s Reebok deal and is working on an outside-the-cage sponsorship deal with the official apparel sponsor’s main rival.Filed read news >>