Fabricio Werdum wants a crack at the gold.

Following his first-round knockout of Mike Russow at UFC 147 on Saturday night, Werdum said he was ready to take on heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos -- should the UFC desire. However, if the promotion has other plans, “Vai Cavalo” has no problem fighting again before challenging for the title.

“For sure, I’m close [to a title shot] now. If the UFC asks, then I’m ready for sure,” Werdum told Fox Sports after his win, “but maybe [I will have] one more fight, maybe on the [Cain] Velasquez-dos Santos card. After that, if I win, maybe I will fight [the champion] in Brazil. I don’t know. I’m just here to fight.”

Dos Santos is the man who ended Werdum’s first UFC run in 2008. Then an Octagon debutant, “Cigano” sent Werdum packing with a devastating uppercut at UFC 90. Since the loss, Werdum has won five of six, returning to the UFC in February and blasting Roy Nelson with punches and knees en route to a unanimous decision win at UFC 143.

Russow fared even worse than “Big Country” on Saturday night, as the American found himself standing at the end of Werdum’s range in the bout’s opening minutes before catching a hard uppercut on the jaw. Russow collapsed to his knees and Werdum followed him down, dropping punches and hammerfists for a first-round stoppage.

“I was doing a lot for this fight for three months at Kings MMA,” said Werdum. “I’m very happy because it’s a big difference, fighting in Brazil. I haven’t fought in Brazil in, like, nine years. Just to hear [the fans] say my nickname [made] me very happy.”

Werdum used the overwhelming crowd support as extra motivation to earn his victory over Russow, who had never before been knocked out. Now, the former Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion looks toward his next fight. Though his opponent and fight date are both currently unknown, Werdum says he will get back to his training regimen in short order and begin his preparation.

“I’m just going to rest for one week. Then, I will go back to training again,” said Werdum. “I’m just going to wait for what the UFC says.”

UFC 203 Free Fight: Fabricio Werdum’s Submission Win Over Cain Velasquez

At UFC 188 in June 2015, Fabricio Werdum won the heavyweight title by submitting Cain Velasquez. Watch the full fight video. read news >>

UFC 203 Countdown Video: Fabricio Werdum vs. Travis Browne

Former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum and Travis Browne seek an emphatic win in a rematch of their 2014 bout in the UFC 203 co-main event. read news >>

Travis Browne, 'I'm Here to Piss in His Cheerios' (UFC 203 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Fabricio Werdum has hatched a plan, but seems to have forgotten that Travis Browne might have plans of his own for UFC 203. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Reveals His Plan to Get the Title Back (UFC 203 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum plans to get back to a title fight by defeating Travis Browne again at UFC 203 on Saturday. read news >>

The past and present of Werdum vs Browne

Fabricio Werdum defeated Travis Browne by decision in 2014 that ultimately led to a title shot. On Saturday at UFC 203 the two will meet again in a pivotal rematch. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum, Urijah Faber, Other Fighters Stuck in Elevator Before UFC 203

Every bad guy in the hotel had to be counting their lucky stars they weren't on this elevator. It wouldn't have ended well for them. Not when Fabricio Werdum, Urijah Faber, CB Dollaway and a host of read news >>

Rhys McKee Looks to Finish Tommy McCafferty, Take a Crack at BAMMA Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Rhys McKee will seek his fourth straight win when he returns to BAMMA on Saturday in Dublin against veteran Tommy McCafferty in a preliminary 145-pound bout. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum Kicks Travis Browne's Coach in Cage After Fight at UFC 203

UFC 203 will go down as one of the UFC's stranger cards, but even on a night with a 0-0 ex-WWE wrestler making his MMA debut, nothing tops what happened after the co-main event fight between Fabricio read news >>

UFC 203 Results: Fabricio Werdum Defeats Travis Browne in Controversial Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum bounced back from losing the title in his last outing by defeating Travis Browne in the UFC 203 co-main event. read news >>

Fabricio Werdum vs. Travis Browne Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

In his first match since losing the heavyweight title, Fabricio Werdum got back in the win column by defeating Travis Browne via unanimous decision at UFC 203 in Cleveland. According to Yahoo Sports' read news >>