Fabricio Werdum wants a crack at the gold.

Following his first-round knockout of Mike Russow at UFC 147 on Saturday night, Werdum said he was ready to take on heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos -- should the UFC desire. However, if the promotion has other plans, “Vai Cavalo” has no problem fighting again before challenging for the title.

“For sure, I’m close [to a title shot] now. If the UFC asks, then I’m ready for sure,” Werdum told Fox Sports after his win, “but maybe [I will have] one more fight, maybe on the [Cain] Velasquez-dos Santos card. After that, if I win, maybe I will fight [the champion] in Brazil. I don’t know. I’m just here to fight.”

Dos Santos is the man who ended Werdum’s first UFC run in 2008. Then an Octagon debutant, “Cigano” sent Werdum packing with a devastating uppercut at UFC 90. Since the loss, Werdum has won five of six, returning to the UFC in February and blasting Roy Nelson with punches and knees en route to a unanimous decision win at UFC 143.

Russow fared even worse than “Big Country” on Saturday night, as the American found himself standing at the end of Werdum’s range in the bout’s opening minutes before catching a hard uppercut on the jaw. Russow collapsed to his knees and Werdum followed him down, dropping punches and hammerfists for a first-round stoppage.

“I was doing a lot for this fight for three months at Kings MMA,” said Werdum. “I’m very happy because it’s a big difference, fighting in Brazil. I haven’t fought in Brazil in, like, nine years. Just to hear [the fans] say my nickname [made] me very happy.”

Werdum used the overwhelming crowd support as extra motivation to earn his victory over Russow, who had never before been knocked out. Now, the former Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion looks toward his next fight. Though his opponent and fight date are both currently unknown, Werdum says he will get back to his training regimen in short order and begin his preparation.

“I’m just going to rest for one week. Then, I will go back to training again,” said Werdum. “I’m just going to wait for what the UFC says.”

Junior dos Santos wants Werdum rematch in Brazil if Vai Cavalo wins the title

Junior dos Santos analysed Fabricio Werdum's chances against Cain Velasquez at UFC 188 and says he would like to rematch his fellow Brazilian in their home country, should Werdum emerge victorious ag read news >>

Video: Fabricio Werdum has real UFC heavyweight title because Cain Velasquez hasn't fought in two years

Video: Fabricio Werdum says (via YouTube) that his UFC heavyweight title is the real one because heavyweight champion and fellow UFC 188 pay-per-view (PPV) headliner Cain Velasquez has not competed i read news >>

Junior dos Santos: MMA and UFC are 'bigger than boxing now'

The former UFC heavyweight champion feels, the UFC and MMA in general have become bigger than the sweet science. read news >>

After Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, Junior dos Santos says MMA is ‘way bigger than boxing’

Now that one of the biggest fights of all times is in the books, what’s next for boxing and MMA? Floyd Mayweather defeated Manny Pacquiao on Saturday night in one of the most anticipated fights in th read news >>

Mark Hunt wants vengeance on Fabricio Werdum: 'I've never lost a rematch'

UFC heavyweight contender Mark Hunt discusses his unfinished business with interim champ Fabricio Werdum ahead of his clash with Stipe Miocic at UFC Fight Night 65 on Saturday. Mark Hunt will stand t read news >>

Junior dos Santos: Alistair Overeem only calls me out when I'm injured

"Cigano" also says "The Reem" is a much better talker than he is fighter. Alistair Overeem has made it a point to prove to mixed martial arts (MMA) fans -- and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Pr read news >>

Junior dos Santos on Alistair Overeem: 'He's a better talker than a fighter'

Injured Junior dos Santos responded to Alistair Overeem's recent comments about wanting to fight him. read news >>

The MMA Hour - 280 - Junior dos Santos

Junior dos Santos discusses his recent injury rehab and what's next for him. read news >>

Junior dos Santos: Alistair Overeem ‘is a better talker than a fighter’

Alistair Overeem was matched up twice against Junior dos Santos in the UFC, but had to pull out both times for different reasons. "The Reem" is once again calling out the former champion, and the Bra read news >>