Fabricio Werdum 767SF-478x270UFC heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum recently finished being a coach on the second season of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil opposite Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. He has offered to do it again in Mexico opposite UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

The Brazilian does UFC commentary in Spanish and could be a perfect fit for the job.

“I mentioned about doing an Ultimate Fighter in Mexico.  For those who don’t know, I am a commentator for the UFC in Spanish because I can speak in Spanish as a commentator because I lived many years in Spain,” said Werdum. “I gave the idea to the UFC about doing an Ultimate Fighter against Cain Velasquez in Mexico.”

There’s one major hiccup in him coaching opposite Velasquez.

“I don’t know if he’s going to beat Junior dos Santos.  It’s going to be a good fight,” he said.

Velasquez and dos Santos will fight for the third time later this year.

The two first faced off in the UFC’s debut event on the Fox networks on Nov. 12, 2011.  Dos Santos knocked out Velasquez in just over a minute in the opening round.

In a rematch at UFC 155, Velasquez avenged the loss by dominating dos Santos through five rounds of fighting.

Werdum’s next career move hinges on the trilogy’s outcome.

“I’m going to be there, observing both of them.  I have to wait for both of them to fight,” said the 35-year-old.

Werdum hadn’t fought in nearly a year prior to his UFC on Fuel TV 10 submission of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira on June 8.  He would prefer not to sit out for another extended period, but would if a title shot was waiting at the end of the time off.

“I’ve already spent one year without fighting because I did The Ultimate Fighter in Brazil, so I wouldn’t like for that to happen again, but if the UFC says, ‘Wait Werdum, wait a little bit more.  Do The Ultimate Fighter and then fight the champion,’ I’ll definitely wait.  And I’ll be working out to become the champion,” he said.

Werdum’s motives aren’t purely about obtaining a title fight, he also believes there’s not enough mixed martial arts in Latin America.

“I think it’s a great idea to be able to show a little bit of our sport in Latin America because Latin America is lacking our sport,” said the heavyweight contender. “And I think it would be something very good to be able to get all this audience because if it’s an audience that likes it, it’s very easy.  We need to go after those that don’t know our sport.”

From Around the Web

Kelvin Gastelum, Efrain Escudero to coach new season of The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America

The UFC continues their conquest of the Central and South American market and has announced a second season of "The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America". Kelvin Gastelum and Efrain Escudero will serve as read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 4 cast announced

The UFC announced Wednesday the full cast for the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 4. The reality show, which was taped in Las Vegas for the first time, airs live in Brazil on Globo TV read news >>

Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum staredown pic, video from UFC 188 media day

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight kingpin Cain Velasquez came face-to-face with interim titleholder Fabricio Werdum (again) at the UFC 188 media day earlier this week inside the Four S read news >>

Gastelum vs. Marquardt Set for Mexico City Card

Currently serving as a coach on season two of The Ultimate Fighter Latin America, Kelvin Gastelum will get back to his day job on June 13, when he faces Nate Marquardt in UFC 188 action in Mexico Cit read news >>

Nogueira brothers: ‘It was hard to replace’ Anderson Silva on TUF: Brazil 4

• a day ago

UFC legend Anderson Silva was set to coach the fourth season of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil in Las Vegas in opposite to fellow former champion Mauricio Rua, but the Nevada Athletic Commission pulled read news >>

Jon Jones talks UFC Super Fight: I believe I'll beat Cain Velasquez at heavyweight

"When" Jon Jones moves up to heavyweight, he says he's confident that he has all the tools to beat the champ in Cain Velasquez. Jon Jones will be looking to defend his belt for the 9th time against A read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum, Efrain Escudero named head coaches of 'TUF: Latin America 2'

The second season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America” has its coaches, and they’re no strangers to the UFC’s long-running reality show.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 ATT vs. Blackzilians: Previewing Each Fighter

It's official. The long-running The Ultimate Fighter series is back for the UFC, but this time with a twist. It's gym vs. gym. That's right, rival Florida gyms will go head-to-head, as Dan Lambert's read news >>

Anderson Silva 'surprised' he failed UFC 183 drug test, offers Nick Diaz immediate rematch

Why did Anderson Silva fail his UFC 183 drug test? Don't ask "The Spider," because the former middleweight champion has no explanation. In fact, when his manager informed him that Nevada State Athlet read news >>