Fabricio Werdum Offers to Coach Ultimate Fighter: Mexico Opposite UFC Champ Cain Velasquez

Fabricio Werdum 767SF-478x270UFC heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum recently finished being a coach on the second season of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil opposite Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. He has offered to do it again in Mexico opposite UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

The Brazilian does UFC commentary in Spanish and could be a perfect fit for the job.

“I mentioned about doing an Ultimate Fighter in Mexico.  For those who don’t know, I am a commentator for the UFC in Spanish because I can speak in Spanish as a commentator because I lived many years in Spain,” said Werdum. “I gave the idea to the UFC about doing an Ultimate Fighter against Cain Velasquez in Mexico.”

There’s one major hiccup in him coaching opposite Velasquez.

“I don’t know if he’s going to beat Junior dos Santos.  It’s going to be a good fight,” he said.

Velasquez and dos Santos will fight for the third time later this year.

The two first faced off in the UFC’s debut event on the Fox networks on Nov. 12, 2011.  Dos Santos knocked out Velasquez in just over a minute in the opening round.

In a rematch at UFC 155, Velasquez avenged the loss by dominating dos Santos through five rounds of fighting.

Werdum’s next career move hinges on the trilogy’s outcome.

“I’m going to be there, observing both of them.  I have to wait for both of them to fight,” said the 35-year-old.

Werdum hadn’t fought in nearly a year prior to his UFC on Fuel TV 10 submission of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira on June 8.  He would prefer not to sit out for another extended period, but would if a title shot was waiting at the end of the time off.

“I’ve already spent one year without fighting because I did The Ultimate Fighter in Brazil, so I wouldn’t like for that to happen again, but if the UFC says, ‘Wait Werdum, wait a little bit more.  Do The Ultimate Fighter and then fight the champion,’ I’ll definitely wait.  And I’ll be working out to become the champion,” he said.

Werdum’s motives aren’t purely about obtaining a title fight, he also believes there’s not enough mixed martial arts in Latin America.

“I think it’s a great idea to be able to show a little bit of our sport in Latin America because Latin America is lacking our sport,” said the heavyweight contender. “And I think it would be something very good to be able to get all this audience because if it’s an audience that likes it, it’s very easy.  We need to go after those that don’t know our sport.”

Fabricio Werdum became the third Brazilian to ever win the UFC heavyweight championship, and the people of Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, gave their fellow countryman a hero’s reception on Monday. read news >>

What’s the blueprint to defeat former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos? If you thought "do what Cain Velasquez did", "Cigano" might surprise you. dos Santos returns to the Octagon on Saturd read news >>

The UFC will crown their first-ever strawweight champion on Friday night as the finale of the twentieth season of The Ultimate Fighter takes place. Division powerhouse Carla Esparza takes on surging read news >>

Fabricio Werdum, the Interim Heavyweight Champion, is the only fighter hailing from a Sport Jiu Jitsu to have UFC gold around his waist. Meanwhile six current UFC champions hail from the ranks Americ read news >>

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil -- The new UFC interim heavyweight champion, Fabricio Werdum spoke to MMAFighting.com about his hero’s reception in Porto Alegre, broke down his second round knockout victory o read news >>

• a day ago

And that would be another feather in the cap of "Vai Cavalo." Fabricio Werdum handed Fedor Emelianenko his first loss in over a decade back in 2010 by tapping "The Last Emperor" under the Strikeforce read news >>

Join us tonight for live discussion of episode 10 of The Ultimate Fighter season 20, as we crown the inaugural UFC Women's Strawweight champion. Tonight: #4 Jessica Penne vs. #5 Aisling Daly. Join us read news >>

Grappling wizard Fabricio Werdum knocked out K-1 champion Mark Hunt to win the UFC interim heavyweight championship in Mexico at UFC 180 on Nov. 15, and the flying knee that ended the bout was one of read news >>

Join us tonight for live discussion of episode 10 of The Ultimate Fighter season 20, as we crown the inaugural UFC Women's Strawweight champion. Tonight: a stacked double header with Carla Esparza vs read news >>