Fabricio Werdum Offers to Coach Ultimate Fighter: Mexico Opposite UFC Champ Cain Velasquez

Fabricio Werdum 767SF-478x270UFC heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum recently finished being a coach on the second season of The Ultimate Fighter Brazil opposite Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. He has offered to do it again in Mexico opposite UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.

The Brazilian does UFC commentary in Spanish and could be a perfect fit for the job.

“I mentioned about doing an Ultimate Fighter in Mexico.  For those who don’t know, I am a commentator for the UFC in Spanish because I can speak in Spanish as a commentator because I lived many years in Spain,” said Werdum. “I gave the idea to the UFC about doing an Ultimate Fighter against Cain Velasquez in Mexico.”

There’s one major hiccup in him coaching opposite Velasquez.

“I don’t know if he’s going to beat Junior dos Santos.  It’s going to be a good fight,” he said.

Velasquez and dos Santos will fight for the third time later this year.

The two first faced off in the UFC’s debut event on the Fox networks on Nov. 12, 2011.  Dos Santos knocked out Velasquez in just over a minute in the opening round.

In a rematch at UFC 155, Velasquez avenged the loss by dominating dos Santos through five rounds of fighting.

Werdum’s next career move hinges on the trilogy’s outcome.

“I’m going to be there, observing both of them.  I have to wait for both of them to fight,” said the 35-year-old.

Werdum hadn’t fought in nearly a year prior to his UFC on Fuel TV 10 submission of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira on June 8.  He would prefer not to sit out for another extended period, but would if a title shot was waiting at the end of the time off.

“I’ve already spent one year without fighting because I did The Ultimate Fighter in Brazil, so I wouldn’t like for that to happen again, but if the UFC says, ‘Wait Werdum, wait a little bit more.  Do The Ultimate Fighter and then fight the champion,’ I’ll definitely wait.  And I’ll be working out to become the champion,” he said.

Werdum’s motives aren’t purely about obtaining a title fight, he also believes there’s not enough mixed martial arts in Latin America.

“I think it’s a great idea to be able to show a little bit of our sport in Latin America because Latin America is lacking our sport,” said the heavyweight contender. “And I think it would be something very good to be able to get all this audience because if it’s an audience that likes it, it’s very easy.  We need to go after those that don’t know our sport.”

With heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez sidelined, Fabricio Werdum and Mark Hunt will fight in the UFC 180 main event for the interim title. read news >>

Down goes Hunt. With UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez injured, Mark Hunt stepped in on short notice to battle Fabricio Werdum for the interim title in the main event of tonight's (Sat., Nov. 1 read news >>

Mexico City was promised a UFC heavyweight championship match between Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum at UFC 180, but an injury prevented that from happening. Signs currently point to the UFC targ read news >>

Sorry, "Super Samoan," but your one-punch knockout power isn't going to be enough to defeat "Vai Cavalo." Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion, Cain Velasquez, was forced out of read news >>

After winning the interim title in Mexico, Fabricio Werdum will likely get a chance to unify the UFC heavyweight belts back there in June.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

The UFC's 2nd attempt at a heavyweight title bout between Cain Velasquez and Fabricio Werdum is being made for June of next year. Lost in the shuffle of the UFC's delayed "big announcement" and not-s read news >>

UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez may be on the shelf longer than originally expected after surgeons found additional damage in his knee during a recent operation. Javier Mendez—head coach at A read news >>

Current UFC heavyweight champion, Cain Velasquez details his knee injury and talks about the emotional devastation he felt after having to withdraw from his fight. This coming Saturday night, MMA fan read news >>

Despite losing an immediate opportunity to fight for the UFC heavyweight title, Fabricio Werdum said he was only “a bit sad” when his opponent and the stakes of his fight changed. Filed under: News, read news >>

Jump to: