fabio-maldonado-10.jpgBARUERI, Brazil – Although a knee injury hampered his training for a fight against Joey Beltran at UFC Fight Night 29, Fabio Maldonado was in good spirits following a split call.

Good enough spirits, that is, to make a few requests about his next bout. And Maldonado thought none other than Chael Sonnen would make a good opponent for his next UFC appearance.

Or, if Sonnen was unavailable, Australian striker James Te-Huna.

“Of course, it’s serious,” said Maldonado when asked about inklings of his preference on social media. “I would love to fight Chael Sonnen. I would like to fight James Te Huna. James is a great striker, and Chael, a lot of people think he would kill my game, that he would tie me up. But I’m very well-trained.

“It’s hard for you to see my jiu-jitsu, but I can turn it around. I would do well against James, as well.”

Sonnen, of course, is scheduled to meet Rashad Evans at next month’s UFC 167 in Las Vegas, and Te Huna meets Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC Fight Night 33. Maldonado (20-6 MMA, 3-3 UFC) had just fought a hard three rounds, however, so he may not have remembered their schedules.

The Brazilian slugger, who transitioned into MMA after amassing an undefeated record in boxing, faced Beltran (14-9 MMA, 4-6 UFC) on the FOX Sports 1-televised main card of Wednesday’s event, which took place at Jose Correa Arena in Barueri, Sao Paulo, Brazil.

The final judges’ scorecards were 28-29, 29-28 and 29-28, with two judges awarding the Brazilian Maldonado two of three rounds.

Maldonado, though, mused that the officials were having coffee with their backs turned to the cage.

“I don’t know what the judges think,” he said. “Sometimes if someone holds someone on the cage and you’re dominating, or you take someone’s back, someone’s getting beat up, just like I did against Beltran.

“But when he held me against the cage, I can stay there all day. I don’t know where they think I lost a round. I don’t know if their judges are from wrestling. I’ve been a referee in Brazil in boxing and in MMA also, and I would always let the fight go. MMA is a mix of everything. That’s what goes.”

In fact, Maldonaldo invited Beltran to press him against the cage, he said, in an effort to “play with the judges.”

“I was just trying to tell him that I can have my back against the cage and still knock him out,” Maldonado said. “And I feel like in the center in the octagon, I was in a better position. I could sprawl better. But I expected him to move forward more. I’ve watched his fights, and I’ve seen him be more aggressive. I wanted to be more aggressive so I could counter him. Maybe I could have been more aggressive, but I think I did better than my last fight.”

If Beltran feels like he didn’t do as well as he could, though, Maldonado said they could go around a second time.

“I told him let’s fight again,” he said. “I told him if he feels there’s anything we need to resolve, I would like to fight again. I think it was a style that matched.”

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 29, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Khabib Nurmagomedov pushes return from knee injury back to December

Khabib Nurmagomedov is pumping the brakes on his return from knee surgery. After undergoing surgery in May to repair his injured knee, the undefeated contender for the UFC lightweight title had targe read news >>

Fabio Maldonado calls out six fighters, Ilir Latifi replies with Dublin challenge

Fabio Maldonado just wants to fight, no matter who his opponent is. Ilir Latifi suggest that they fight on the Dublin card in October. Fabio Maldonado has been laying low since his unanimous decision read news >>

UFC Fight Night 76: Ilir latifi calls out Fabio Maldonado for fight in Ireland on Oct. 24

Sounds like a fun scrap. Ilir Latifi, respectfully, has called out hard-hitting Fabio Maldonado to a light heavyweight scrap in Dublin, Ireland, inside the 3Arena -- formerly known as the O2 -- on Oc read news >>

Dana White calls Tito Ortiz's claims on Ronda Rousey vs. Cyborg Justino 'a total lie'

The news making the rounds Saturday claiming that Dana White offered Cyborg Justino a fight against UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey was a surprise to many. Among those most surprised, read news >>

GLORY 23 results: Holzken cuts Daniels with knee, wins welterweight title; Jacoby wins four-man 'qualifier' tournament

Nieky Holzken defeated Raymond Daniels via technical knockout (cut stoppage) to become the GLORY Welterweight champion last night, while Dustin Jacoby knocked out Casey Greene and Ariel Sepulveda to read news >>

Jose Aldo UFC 190 media scrum

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Jose Aldo discusses returning to training following a rib injury, fighting Conor McGregor at the Dallas Cowboys stadium, why he thinks T.J. Dillashaw shouldn’t call him out, his rel read news >>

Things go south when Matt Mitrione calls out 'Bigfoot' Silva for UFC 193 in Australia

If one veteran gets his wish, November’s UFC 193 event in Australia will soon have a new heavyweight clash. It just doesn’t look likely.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Lightweight Al Iaquinta to Undergo Knee Surgery

UFC lightweight Al Iaquinta will require surgery on his knee, according to a report on Wednesday evening. read news >>

Injury scraps UFC 192's targeted Leslie Smith vs. Raquel Pennington bout

Although not announced, a planned women’s bantamweight bout between Leslie Smith and Raquel Pennington has been scrapped as a possible UFC 192 addition.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Cris Cyborg threatens Ronda Rousey with legal action for steroid 'lies' in the media

When Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen were scheduled to fight back in 2013, "Bones" decided the best way to talk trash was to accuse "The American Gangster" of doing steroids his entire career, an accusati read news >>