Derek BrunsonAfter starting off his career in high fashion, having had – and won – 11 fights combined over a two-year span, the last seven months have been the lowest point for Derek Brunson, sidelined over vision issues.

Shortly before he was to have the biggest fight of his career this past March against former Strikeforce middleweight champion Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza, Brunson’s poor sight caused the fight to be scrapped.

“Man, that was the most frustrating and disappointing thing ever,” said Brunson.

“Even though I took the fight on short notice, I got down to (Greg) Jackson’s, doubled up my training, got in real good shape, and I was ready to go. Two weeks before the fight, the eye exam was the last thing I had to go, and the Ohio State Athletic Commission rejected it saying I didn’t pass my exam, saying my eyes weren’t good enough if my contacts got knocked out.”

After having Lasik surgery to correct his vision and taken time off to heal, Brunson is eager to return to action this Saturday in Springfield, Mo., as part of ShoFIGHT 20 against Kendall Grove.

“For a while there I was wondering when I was going to fight again, because I was so used to fighting,” said Brunson. “I had like eight fights in one year. Everything came so fast and then all of a sudden it came to a halt. I was frustrated, was re-evaluating things, but this fight came through, my eyes feel good, everything feels good, and I’m ready to go.”

For Brunson, Grove represents the next level fight that he was denied in March against Souza.

“He’s definitely a game opponent,” Brunson told “He won The Ultimate Fighter, has been with some good camps, and has beaten top guys in the world, so he’s definitely a good step up.

“He’s good off his back, he’s very odd in terms of his length, and that can present problems, but at the end of the day I’ll work my striking and wrestling against his.”

Having never had such a long gap between fights in his career before, Brunson’s gas tank could be cause for concern, but he’s not overly worried about it. He’s put his time in at the gym.

“Condition-wise, I should be good,” he replied. “Sometimes in fights you’ve got to gut one out, and this might be one of those fights, but it’s not going to be one where I go out there, get fatigued and gas out. I turned it up in my training, so I’m feeling really good about my cardio.”

Now that he’s ready to fight again, Brunson has already been informed by Strikeforce matchmaker Sean Shelby that a return to that promotion is imminent, so he can continue to build off the momentum he had prior to being sidelined.

“I talked to him personally and he told me I’ll be fighting on the August card where Ronda Rousey will be fighting Sarah Kaufman,” said Brunson. “I’m not sure who I’ll be fighting at the time, but I’m excited to have the fight.

“Each fight is big to me, no matter who I’m fighting. I’m an undefeated fighter and that’s how I want to stay. That means more money, more sponsorships, and bigger opportunities. It’s just better for me altogether and that’s my goal to stay undefeated.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow on Twitter and Facebook.

Roger Huerta Rekindling His Career Heading into Yoji Ando Fight

Rekindling his career, Roger Huerta heads into ONE: Odyssey of Champions looking for a big victory over Yoji Ando. read news >>

The Beaten Path: Longtime Prospect Gleristone Santos Is Ready for Bellator Debut

Do the career arithmetic on Gleristone Santos, and things get a little fuzzy. He’s only 27 years old, but has somehow racked up a professional record of 27-4. He began in 2005, which means he was 17 read news >>

UFC Fight Night 75 pre-fight facts: Josh Barnett returns to Japan after career-long layoff

For the first time in more than one year, the octagon touches down in “The Land of the Rising Sun” on Saturday as UFC Fight Night 75 takes place at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.Filed under: read news >>

Justin Harrington Has Something to Prove, but SFL Title Defense is His Focus

Justin Harrington has a point to prove, but defending his SFL America lightweight championship is his focus. read news >>

Victory at Titan FC 35 Could Launch Zane Kamaka’s Career into Orbit

Zane Kamaka is well aware that a win over Belal Muhammed at Titan FC 35 could skyrocket his career. read news >>

Fight Path: Dad gave BAMMA 22's Tom Duquesnoy a year to prove MMA worth

Tom Duquesnoy headlines this weekened’s BAMMA 22. His promising MMA career is the result of a challenge from his dad, who gave his son one year to prove to he could succeed in the sport.Filed under: read news >>

Miesha Tate says she's stuck in 'limbo,' says White's 'career killer' comment 'offensive'

Miesha Tate continues to voice her displeasure of the UFC’s decision to grant Holly Holm a title shot against UFC champ Ronda Rousey after she was promised the next crack at the gold. Filed under: Fe read news >>

The 10 Greatest Moments of Nick Diaz's MMA Career

If you fixate on one particular corner of the MMA fan sphere, it can seem like the sky is always falling. Some terrible injustice or indignity is constantly gripping and stifling the sport, harming a read news >>

Teddy Holder Turned the Fight of His Career into Opportunity of a Lifetime

WSOF light heavyweight Teddy Holder stepped up last-minute for the biggest victory of his career, and has turned it into a shot at a title. read news >>

Out of the Shadow: Keri Anne Taylor-Melendez Ready to Blast into Bellator

Her career isn't yet at the level of her husband, Gilbert's, but Keri Anne Taylor-Melendez hopes to change that starting with Bellator debut at Dynamite. read news >>