Evan Cutts FacebookTexas welterweight prospect Evan Cutts is riding high.

Undefeated in five fights so far, Cutts feels his game truly took a step forward last November with a win over the sibling of one of MMA’s all-time greats.

“In my third fight, I beat BJ (Penn’s) little brother Reagan, and just took it to him, and that’s what boosted me,” said Cutts. “I feel like I’m putting all my tools together and am becoming a complete fighter.

“My jiu-jitsu has always been improving and it’s the best part of my game, but I really feel like my striking and my wrestling has not only improved, but I’m blending it a lot more effectively than I ever have.”

Cutts will have an opportunity to showcase his growth on a national stage on Friday night live on AXS TV in a co-main event bout against fellow area up-and-comer Sean Spencer at Legacy FC 13 in Dallas.

“I know he has pretty decent boxing and a mean right hand,” said Cutts of Spencer. “He hits a lot of people moving backwards because of that and I think he’s best moving forward. I’m going to look to change that.

“I see some holes, especially when he gets taken down, or even when he gets a takedown, I see some holes. I don’t want to expound on it too much now, but I will say this, look for the way I work in my scrambles. I love when I get into scrambles because I feel like I’m a bit quicker on the trigger than a lot of people are.”

Having trained at some of the same facilities and come up in the sport at the same time, Cutts was asked if he feels his familiarity with Spencer will play any part in the outcome of the fight.

“I probably have just as much of insight on him as he does on me,” Cutts told MMAWeekly.com. “We’ll see if that nullifies itself.

“You can plan really, really well for a fight, but then the fight can go totally different. Game planning does matter, but when fights are live, things move so fast sometimes that it’s hard to implement what you want to do; so you’ve got to be ready in all your areas.”

The brother-in-law of Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller alum Johnny Bedford, Cutts knows how important television exposure can be for a fighter’s career. Though don’t expect him to take the same route his relative has to get his break.

“I don’t know if I could keep my sanity (in the TUF house) to be totally honest,” joked Cutts. “I love people, I love working with people, but I also enjoy my quiet time, my sleep time; so I don’t know if I could survive all that.

“Opportunities are always there, especially on national TV (like AXS), if you can finish somebody with a fantastic submission or a pretty big knockout. There are always people watching. I want to be known as one of the top, if not the top, (170-pound) fighters out of DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth), because that’s how you get to the bigger scene.”

(Photo courtesy of Evan Cutts)

Saunders making it uncomfortable for foes inside the Octagon

Saunders is headed to Boston for a showdown with Patrick Cote. It’s a matchup that has all the makings of a fan favorite fracas with two big, determined and headstrong welterweights looking to crack read news >>

B.J. Penn Planning Return to MMA, Calls out Featherweight Nik Lentz for UFC 197

Those rumors of B.J. Penn's return to MMA just became a lot more than rumors. On Wednesday afternoon, Penn posted a message and photo on his Instagram account that pledged a return to the UFC. The fo read news >>

Top free agent Aljamain Sterling not a 'guinea pig for a fighters union'

UFC bantamweight Aljamian Sterling can thank Sage Northcutt for making up his mind. Sterling told MMAjunkie Radio he might have taken a modest raise from his current pay. Then he saw Northcutt’s pay. read news >>

Video: UFC Fight Night 81’s Rob Font feels he practically cheated in UFC debut

BOSTON – UFC bantamweight Rob Font isn’t making a big deal about his knockout win over George Roop, so you shouldn’t either. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ronda Rousey and Tina Fey Making 'Do Nothing Bitches' Film?

Ronda Rousey may have endured quite the beating at the hands of Holly Holm at UFC 193, but Hollywood has never stopped treating her like a star. According to Deadline.com, a pitch has been made to Un read news >>

Cyborg Justino Closes Door on Making 135 Pounds, Keeps Door Open for Superfight

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino, the Invicta featherweight world champion and one of the best fighters in women's MMA, has said she won't be able to cut down to the 135-pound limit for the women's bantamw read news >>

Amber Leibrock Making Most of Her Pro Move Heading into Invicta FC 15

Amber Leibrock's first pro victory was a big one, and she intends to follow it up with another impressive performance at Invicta FC 15 on Saturday night. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Holly Holm Rematch and Discussions over Next Fight

Ronda Rousey has denied rumours she is planning to retire from MMA and insisted she will fight Holly Holm again in 2016. The former UFC women's bantamweight champion lost her title and her unbeaten r read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Holly Holm Rematch and Discussions over Next Fight

Ronda Rousey has denied rumours she is planning to retire from MMA and insisted she will fight Holly Holm again in 2016. The former UFC women's bantamweight champion lost her title and her unbeaten r read news >>

Legacy FC 50 results: 'Cyborg' returns from lengthy layoff with decision win

Fighting for the first time in 21 months, Evangelista Santos outstruck fellow veteran Artenas Young en route to a clearcut decision win.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>