Cole Escovedo was ready to hang it up.

A severe staph infection had partially paralyzed him and led to an exploratory surgery around his spine. He got through that. But if he couldn’t get through his first opponent after climbing back in the cage, then he was going to call it quits.

The foe was Michael McDonald, who has since gone on to the UFC.

“It was either do it or retire at that point,” Escovedo (Pictured) said recently during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “I was either going to go in there and win that fight or I was going to decide that there was no more room left for me in the sport. If I couldn’t come back from that surgery and win that fight, then I probably would have just given up MMA there because it would have burst a huge mental bubble. I would have that huge wall of, ‘OK, I did everything I could and sacrificed everything I could to get here, and it wasn’t enough, so I need to move on.’”

It was enough, though. Escovedo stopped McDonald in the second round of their May 2009 encounter.

“There wasn’t a single time during that fight that I ever thought I didn’t belong here,” Escovedo said. “If anything, after the first round I felt that it was more than the right decision, that I was good to be there.”

Escovedo reeled off four more wins before getting knocked out by McDonald in a rematch. He also lost his next fight against Michihiro Omigawa, but by then Escovedo was already certain that he had a future in MMA. After getting back on track with a win over Steven Siler, he got a call from the UFC’s Sean Shelby asking if he wanted a shot in the Octagon.

“Kind of a no-brainer,” Escovedo said. “It’s one of those opportunities that you don’t ever really pass up when they come. It’s not like the UFC calls you every day. It was kind of either take it or don’t. It wasn’t like, ‘Hey, let me think about it and I’ll get back to you.’ It was, ‘Yeah. What’s the purse?’”

Shelby also told him his opponent: touted prospect Renan “Barao.” Escovedo didn’t have time to look up info on the Brazilian; he just took the fight.

“I’ll be honest. Up until the time Sean Shelby asked me if I wanted to fight, I’d never heard of the guy,” Escovedo said of Barao. “As far as who he is and what he’s done and stuff, [I’m going off] what I found on the Internet. I know he’s got a good record, solid jiu-jitsu, a solid striker, but I’d never heard of him up until this fight. I don’t really know what to think. I’m not saying it’s going to be an easy fight. I’m not underestimating him at all. You don’t get a 25-1 record by being a nobody, but it doesn’t really matter to me because at the end of the day, numbers don’t really matter. He’s got to step into the cage and fight me just like I have to get in there with him.”

The fight is big for Barao -- it’s his UFC debut too -- but Escovedo considers it the “biggest opportunity” of his life.

“It’s going to be a milestone in my career,” Escovedo said. “It’s going to mark a new chapter and it’s going to mark a new section in my life. It’s going to be a new opportunity to better myself and better my life for my family.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:08:10).

UFC 205 Alvarez vs McGregor Fantasy Cheat Sheet

Alvarez or McGregor? Thompson or Woodley? Pennington for the win? Cheat Sheet takes a look at the biggest fights at UFC 205 in Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12 and helps you make your pre-fight predi read news >>

UFC 205 Betting Preview: Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez Odds, Analysis

The biggest card in MMA history will take place Saturday night at Madison Square Garden in New York City, headlined by Conor McGregor (20-3) vs. Eddie Alvarez (28-4) for the lightweight championship read news >>

Alvarez vs. McGregor: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 205

Conor McGregor has the opportunity to send his already notorious legacy into orbit on Saturday, November 12, when he takes on Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205. The UFC featherweight champion will look to bec read news >>

UFC 205 Predictions: Bleacher Report Full Card Staff Picks

Eddie Alvarez and Conor McGregor are set to headline the biggest card in UFC history, UFC 205. And boy, just look at this lineup of fights: Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor Tyron Woodley vs. Stephen read news >>

UFC 205 Fight Card: PPV Schedule, Odds and Predictions for Alvarez vs. McGregor

Eddie Alvarez and Conor McGregor will headline the biggest card in UFC history on Saturday evening, when a blockbuster UFC 205 lineup makes its way to New York City. Madison Square Garden will bear w read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

UFC 205: Raquel Pennington vs. Miesha Tate video highlights

Raquel Pennington picked up the biggest win of her pro career when she topped Miesha Tate, her former coach on “The Ultimate Fighter.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

ONE Championship 49 highlights: Shinya Aoki loses title in one of 2016's biggest upsets

For the first time in 10 fights and four-and-a-half years, Shinya Aoki has suffered an MMA loss – and it came in one of the year’s biggest upsets.Filed under: News read news >>

Michael Chandler vs. Benson Henderson: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

Benson Henderson was one of Bellator's biggest signings to date when he inked in early 2016, but his showings inside the cage have not lived up to expectations just yet. Henderson debuted in a welter read news >>

Adam Piccolotti Eyes Bellator 165 Opportunity to Continue Climbing the Ranks | MMAWeekly.com

Following a rough time around his fight in May, Adam Piccolotti is eyeing Bellator 165 as an opportunity to continue climbing the lightweight ranks. read news >>