Erick Silva: Welterweight Title Not Part of My Plans Right Now

Erick Silva is in no rush.

Though many have pointed to the 28-year-old Brazilian as a welterweight title contender in the making, Silva believes he has plenty of time to reach his full potential.

“I think it’s still too soon. To be honest, I’m not at all worried about the title belt right now,” Silva said during Saturday’s post-fight press conference after beating Jason High at UFC on Fuel TV 10. “All I want to do is do my work. I’m just going to wait for the UFC to schedule my next fight, and when they do, I’m going to focus on it. If I could do 20 fights before the belt, I would. When I go for the belt, I want to have it around my waist, so I want to have a lot of knowledge and experience. But [a title fight] is not at all part of my plans now.”

Despite his measured attitude, Silva nevertheless advanced his position in the welterweight division with his victory over High -- a superior performance that saw the Brazilian catch “The Kansas City Bandit” with a beautiful inverted triangle-armbar after sprawling on a takedown attempt and taking the American’s back. The 71-second triumph was the 16th victory of Silva’s career and served to dampen the memory of his unanimous decision defeat this past October to highly-regarded veteran Jon Fitch.

“[After my loss to Fitch], I had to improve in each different area, so I looked for good teachers who could help me focus on the different areas, [like] jiu-jitsu and muay Thai,” Silva told Fox Sports after his win at Paulo Sarasate Gymnasium in Fortaleza, Brazil. “I’m really happy with how the fight went. I’m a really good striker, but I’m really good on the ground, too. I just trained a lot and did my best.”

Related

Keith Johnson faces Mike Bronzoulis at Titan FC 29 on Friday night, but with a victory, he hopes to take aim at the promotion's welterweight championship. read news >>

Anderson Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, discusses his client’s scheduled return to MMA next January against Nick Diaz. Longtime manager Ed Soares is convinced that his client Anderson Silva is perfectly read news >>

Former Bellator welterweight champion Ben Askren steamrolled Nobutatsu Suzuki at ONE FC: Reign of Champions minutes ago, taking just a minute-and-a-half to score a TKO victory and capture championshi read news >>

UFC heavyweight title challenger Fabricio Werdum isn’t convinced Wanderlei Silva’s trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission will tarnish his career.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Lorenz Larkin started his MMA career as a light heavyweight. He dropped to middleweight in 2012, but has found mixed results. From all indications, a move down to the welterweight division is next.Fi read news >>

Watching news reports, UFC welterweight and Ferguson native Tyron Woodley immediately recognized the convenience store that served as a flashpoint in the weeks of unrest that followed the shooting of read news >>

Ben Askren talks about winning ONE FC welterweight title and Dana White's recent comments about him. read news >>

Former Shooto middleweight champion Carlos Alexandre Pereira claimed the Shooto Brazil welterweight championship with a split-decision victory over Luiz Gustavo Dutra in August, but he will have to r read news >>

If former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight kingpin Georges St. Pierre was still on the fence about making his return to mixed martial arts (MMA), after taking a break from combat spo read news >>

Related