The woman responsible for the only blemish on the record of Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos is setting her sights on a Strikeforce title -- but not the one previously held by her old opponent.

Erica Paes hasn’t fought since 2005 -- the same year she submitted Santos in what was both women’s pro debuts -- instead taking time off from combat sports to focus on her career as a singer. Last year, however, the Rio de Janeiro resident and sister of late Brazilian Top Team coach Eraldo Paes returned to training with designs on joining the stateside promotion’s burgeoning 135-pound division. Paes is currently training at Rio’s X-Gym alongside some of the sport’s biggest names, like Anderson Silva and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza.

Sherdog.com recently caught up with Paes to find out more about her planned comeback.

Sherdog.com: When did you return to training MMA?
Paes: It’s been a year that I’ve been back in Rio de Janeiro, training at X-Gym. I was coming off an injury, but I’ve been cleared to train by my doctor and physiotherapist. Now, I’m counting the days until my next fight, and I think I’ll come back to climb into the Octagon next month.

Sherdog.com: How is it training with Anderson Silva, who’s generally considered the best fighter in the world?
Paes: Anderson is a darling, a guy who we all try to emulate, and he always gives me the greatest attention. Not just him, but Rafael Feijao, Ronaldo Jacare, Erick Silva. The guys give me special attention here and I’m proud to be part of the X-Gym family, in which I’m the only woman.

Sherdog.com: Do you want to face anyone in particular? Perhaps a second fight against Cris Cyborg?
Paes: I don’t have any opponent in particular who I want to face. Everyone always talks about Cris; people think there’s a rivalry, but it doesn’t exist. It was a fight that happened and I won. After that, I only had one more fight, and then I stopped to dedicated myself to music.

Sherdog.com: What is your main goal in returning to MMA?
Paes: I’m returning to MMA seeking the belt of the world’s biggest event for women, which is Strikeforce. But my coaches -- Josuel Distak, Rogerio Camoes and Sylvio Behring -- first want me to get back into the rhythm of fighting. I need to have one or two fights here in Brazil to prepare myself and then go abroad.

Sherdog.com: So, ideally, you’ll be the champion at 135 pounds and Cyborg at 145, right?
Paes: In Strikeforce, there’s only Cris, an excellent athlete and an exemplary professional. I hope she overcomes this difficult stage. We are both Brazilian, but if we need to fight again, I’ll accept it. Whoever is there can come. I’m training to face anyone.

Leonardo Fabri contributed to this report.

Michael Bisping Plans to Knock Anderson Silva Out

Seventh-ranked middleweight Michael “The Count” Bisping has always wanted to fight former champion Anderson Silva and plans to knock him out when they meet on Feb. 27. read news >>

Retirement Not in the Plans for Anderson Silva

There’s no question that the stage lights are dimming on former middleweight champion Anderson Silva’s fighting career, but the 40-year-old Brazilian has no plans of retirement. read news >>

Chris Weidman Talks Luke Rockhold, Compares UFC Rematch to Anderson Silva Fights

Former UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman has called for an immediate rematch against Luke Rockhold, whom he said he plans to "demolish" in a bout that means more to him than his wins over Ander read news >>

Rosa still prospect with plenty of upside despite 1-2 UFC record

On paper, Charles Rosa is 1-2 in the UFC, which is nothing to write home about, but the truth of the matter is that he remains one of the top emerging talents in the featherweight ranks, despite what read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Daria Ibragimova: Invicta FC 15 Live Stream, Card and Prediction

A huge year in mixed martial arts is off to a fantastic start that promises to continue on Saturday night with Invicta FC 15 featuring Cris Cyborg seeking her fifth straight win as she takes on Daria read news >>

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Nick Diaz’s Reduced Suspension

In this weeks episode of Beyond the Fight Chael Sonnen discusses the reduction of Nick Diaz's suspension and Anderson Silva's failed test. read news >>

Cris Cyborg vs. Daria Ibragimova: Winner, Recap, Reaction from Invicta FC 15

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino's scorched-earth campaign through Invicta FC's featherweight division continued at Invicta 15 with the champion defeating Daria Ibragimova in the main event via first-round read news >>

Invicta FC 15 Results: Cris Cyborg Smashes Daria Ibragimova

Cris "Cyborg" Justino proved once again that she reigns on high as queen of Invicta with a first-round finish of Daria Ibragimova at Invicta FC 15 on Saturday in Orange County, Calif. read news >>

Michael Bisping's plan: 'Destroy Anderson Silva,' get long-awaited title shot

Michael Bisping has no doubt he’s going to have his way with Anderson Silva at UFC Fight Night 83. When he does, he said he plans to “demand” a UFC title shot.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After 18 straight wins, what's next for Jimmie Rivera? Top-10 opponent, preferably

With 18 straight wins and a perfect 3-0 record, what’s next for rising bantamweight prospect Jimmie Rivera? Preferably an opponent in the top 10, he said.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>