The woman responsible for the only blemish on the record of Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos is setting her sights on a Strikeforce title -- but not the one previously held by her old opponent.

Erica Paes hasn’t fought since 2005 -- the same year she submitted Santos in what was both women’s pro debuts -- instead taking time off from combat sports to focus on her career as a singer. Last year, however, the Rio de Janeiro resident and sister of late Brazilian Top Team coach Eraldo Paes returned to training with designs on joining the stateside promotion’s burgeoning 135-pound division. Paes is currently training at Rio’s X-Gym alongside some of the sport’s biggest names, like Anderson Silva and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza. recently caught up with Paes to find out more about her planned comeback. When did you return to training MMA?
Paes: It’s been a year that I’ve been back in Rio de Janeiro, training at X-Gym. I was coming off an injury, but I’ve been cleared to train by my doctor and physiotherapist. Now, I’m counting the days until my next fight, and I think I’ll come back to climb into the Octagon next month. How is it training with Anderson Silva, who’s generally considered the best fighter in the world?
Paes: Anderson is a darling, a guy who we all try to emulate, and he always gives me the greatest attention. Not just him, but Rafael Feijao, Ronaldo Jacare, Erick Silva. The guys give me special attention here and I’m proud to be part of the X-Gym family, in which I’m the only woman. Do you want to face anyone in particular? Perhaps a second fight against Cris Cyborg?
Paes: I don’t have any opponent in particular who I want to face. Everyone always talks about Cris; people think there’s a rivalry, but it doesn’t exist. It was a fight that happened and I won. After that, I only had one more fight, and then I stopped to dedicated myself to music. What is your main goal in returning to MMA?
Paes: I’m returning to MMA seeking the belt of the world’s biggest event for women, which is Strikeforce. But my coaches -- Josuel Distak, Rogerio Camoes and Sylvio Behring -- first want me to get back into the rhythm of fighting. I need to have one or two fights here in Brazil to prepare myself and then go abroad. So, ideally, you’ll be the champion at 135 pounds and Cyborg at 145, right?
Paes: In Strikeforce, there’s only Cris, an excellent athlete and an exemplary professional. I hope she overcomes this difficult stage. We are both Brazilian, but if we need to fight again, I’ll accept it. Whoever is there can come. I’m training to face anyone.

Leonardo Fabri contributed to this report.

UFC 193 draws reported 56,214 attendance to set new company record

MELBOURNE, Australia – By fewer than 500 fans, the UFC set its new attendance record at Saturday night’s UFC 193. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Can UFC 193 headliner Ronda Rousey set attendance record?

MELBOURNE, Australia — Ronda Rousey’s match-up with Holly Holm at UFC 193 tonight is set to break the all-time attendance record for a mixed martial arts event.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Comments on Expected Gate for Rousey vs. Holm, UFC 193

Ronda Rousey will put her undefeated record on the line at UFC 193 in Australia against Holly Holm on Saturday. According to Damon Martin of Fox Sports, the fight is anticipated to break the all-time read news >>

Thomas Almeida hosts coming out party in hometown of Sao Paulo

Antonio “Minotauro” Nogueira, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo ... Brazilian fans are not lacking in UFC superstars. In the wee hours of Sunday morning at the Ibirapuera Gymnasium, Thomas Almeida, another c read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 post-fight facts: Almeida's winning streak hits 20, KO record and more

The UFC's final stop in Brazil this year was a good one. Eight of 13 fights ended in a stoppage and multiple UFC record were set or tied. [autotag]Vitor Belfort[/autotag] (25-11 MMA, 14-7 UFC) scored read news >>

UFC 197 Confirmed for Rio in March; Could Anderson Silva Make the Card?

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced on Saturday that UFC 197 will take place in Rio de Janeiro in March. Could Anderson Silva make his return there? read news >>

UFC Brazil exec: Ex-champ Anderson Silva wants to fight in Brazil upon return

SAO PAULO – The UFC’s point man in Brazil believes ex-middleweight champ Anderson Silva has a hankering to fight again on home soil. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Sao Paulo Results: Gleison Tibau Scores Record-Setting Win Over Abel Trujillo

Gleison Tibau continued to set records on Saturday night at UFC Fight Night 77, securing a first-round victory over Abel Trujillo. read news >>

UFC 193 Free Fight Video: Ronda Rousey Taps Cat Zingano in Record Time

UFC champion Ronda Rousey is known for her quick finishes, but she took that to an entirely new level with her win over Cat Zingano. read news >>