Emanuel Newton-BellatorWhile incremental increases in a fighter’s game is to be expected over time, for Bellator light-heavyweight tournament participant Emanuel Newton, his game has undergone a huge leap forward just in the past couple months.

“I think I really discovered who I am and what’s my style and what works for me and makes me hard to deal with when I’m inside the cage for sure over the past couple of years, but the past two months I really think my game has taken off, especially on the feet,” said Newton.

“Working at the Wild Card gym, my stand-up has completely changed, especially in the realm of my hands and my movement.”

Newton’s improved striking helped pay a part in his two recent tournament wins, and more so in his KO victory over Mo Lawal in February.

“Before the Mo fight I wasn’t with my trainers for very long, so that’s why you saw a night and day difference in my striking in my fight against Mo as opposed to my fight against Atanas (Djambazov),” said Newton. “Everything is coming together and I want to keep it going.”

After falling short in last year’s light-heavyweight tournament in a controversial split-decision loss to Attila Vegh in the semi-finals, Newton now has a chance to redeem himself this Thursday night in Tampa, Florida, against Mikhail Zayats for this season’s 205-pound tournament title.

“He’s a very tough fighter who is very awkward striking and has good on the ground, especially off his back, but I fill I’m better in all areas of the game,” said Newton of Zayats.

“Not to take anything away from him, he’s a very tough fighter and it’s going to be a very good fight, but with my wrestling and my newfound striking skills it’s going to be hard for him to deal with me.”

While Newton feels Bellator has always taken good care of him, he told MMAWeekly.com that he knows he wasn’t the tournament favorite, but because of the format, anyone can make their way to glory.

“I know that they were expecting Mo and Babalu (Sobral) to be the two top dogs, but the tournament gives everybody the opportunity to make their own destiny,” said Newton. “It’s not about who talks the most on Twitter or has the most Twitter followers, it’s about who truly deserves the opportunity to be in there.

“That’s one thing I really enjoy about Bellator, anybody can showcase their skills and earn their opportunity to get the belt.”

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>

Michael Page sees Bellator title fight in future: 'Everyone's screaming for it to happen'

Michael Page added another victory to his undefeated resume at Bellator 144 this past weekend. Questions still remain, however, about how good Page really is.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tim Kennedy rips Reebok deal, says he'd 'definitely' fight for Scott Coker in Bellator (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Kennedy, who says he hasn't gotten a check from Reebok, isn't exactly happy with the UFC right now. read news >>

Bellator 145's Michael Chandler: 'I just know I'm better than Will Brooks'

Bellator executives haven’t come right out and told Michael Chandler what he’s fighting for at Bellator 145 next week, other than a paycheck and a possible win on his resume.Filed under: Bellator, Ne read news >>

New Bellator middleweight champ Rafael Carvalho wants to win GLORY title, too

Newly minted Bellator middleweight champ Rafael Carvalho would like to add kickboxing titleholder to his list of accomplishments.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 144 winner Goiti Yamauchi calls for winner of champ ‘Pitbull’ vs. Straus 2

Featherweight Goiti Yamauchi picked up his third straight win in the Bellator cage this past Friday at Bellator 144, and now he wants to be rewarded for his efforts.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator: Koscheck targeted for early-2016 debut, Daley possible in summer

This coming year could be an interesting one in Bellator for former UFC title challenger Josh Koscheck.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>