Emanuel Newton-BellatorWhile incremental increases in a fighter’s game is to be expected over time, for Bellator light-heavyweight tournament participant Emanuel Newton, his game has undergone a huge leap forward just in the past couple months.

“I think I really discovered who I am and what’s my style and what works for me and makes me hard to deal with when I’m inside the cage for sure over the past couple of years, but the past two months I really think my game has taken off, especially on the feet,” said Newton.

“Working at the Wild Card gym, my stand-up has completely changed, especially in the realm of my hands and my movement.”

Newton’s improved striking helped pay a part in his two recent tournament wins, and more so in his KO victory over Mo Lawal in February.

“Before the Mo fight I wasn’t with my trainers for very long, so that’s why you saw a night and day difference in my striking in my fight against Mo as opposed to my fight against Atanas (Djambazov),” said Newton. “Everything is coming together and I want to keep it going.”

After falling short in last year’s light-heavyweight tournament in a controversial split-decision loss to Attila Vegh in the semi-finals, Newton now has a chance to redeem himself this Thursday night in Tampa, Florida, against Mikhail Zayats for this season’s 205-pound tournament title.

“He’s a very tough fighter who is very awkward striking and has good on the ground, especially off his back, but I fill I’m better in all areas of the game,” said Newton of Zayats.

“Not to take anything away from him, he’s a very tough fighter and it’s going to be a very good fight, but with my wrestling and my newfound striking skills it’s going to be hard for him to deal with me.”

While Newton feels Bellator has always taken good care of him, he told MMAWeekly.com that he knows he wasn’t the tournament favorite, but because of the format, anyone can make their way to glory.

“I know that they were expecting Mo and Babalu (Sobral) to be the two top dogs, but the tournament gives everybody the opportunity to make their own destiny,” said Newton. “It’s not about who talks the most on Twitter or has the most Twitter followers, it’s about who truly deserves the opportunity to be in there.

“That’s one thing I really enjoy about Bellator, anybody can showcase their skills and earn their opportunity to get the belt.”

Bellator 149's Emanuel Newton: 'Stupid' pre-fight sex contributed to Phil Davis loss

Fighters explaining the circumstances around a loss is commonplace in MMA. Emanuel Newton’s reasoning for his most recent defeat might be a new one, though.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

'In Focus' video: Bellator 149 co-headliner 'Dada 5000' – and a backyard brawl

Get to know Dhafir Harris – perhaps best known as “Dada 5000” – and get an up-close look at the backyard business that brought him to prominence.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Former UFC, PRIDE standout Wanderlei Silva to appear at Bellator 149 Fan Fest

• a day ago

Bellator may have taken the next step toward getting Wanderlei Silva into its fold by getting the former UFC standout and PRIDE champion onto its Fan Fest lineup for next week.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

Kendall Grove vs. Francisco France completes Bellator 150 card in Kansas

• a day ago

The card is complete for Bellator 150 later this month with the addition of a new middleweight fight to the main card. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 150 Fight Card Finalized with Addition of Kendall Grove vs. Francisco France

A fifth and final main card fight has been added to Bellator 150: Galvao vs. Dantas 2 at Kansas Star Arena in Mulvane, Kansas on February 26. read news >>

Bellator signs trio of women to build up flyweight division

• a day ago

Bellator is continuing their push to expand their roster and build up their women’s flyweight division with the announced signing of three women.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

'Shamrock/Gracie/Kimbo/Dada 5000' debuts tonight on Spike ahead of Bellator 149

• a day ago

As a reminder, “Shamrock/Gracie/Kimbo/Dada 5000,” which previews next week’s Bellator 149 event, debuts tonight on Spike.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Ex-champ Michael Chandler signs long-term extension with Bellator

• 20 hours ago

After talking up his value and calling for big fights, ex-lightweight champ Michael Chandler has signed a long-term contract extension with Bellator MMA.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tito Ortiz cited for misdemeanor battery after allegedly grabbing woman’s phone at club

• 18 hours ago

UFC Hall of Famer and Bellator light heavyweight Tito Ortiz was cited for misdemeanor battery early this morning after an alleged struggle with a woman in a Las Vegas nightclub.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

Tito Ortiz Reportedly Cited for Misdemeanor Battery: Latest Details, Reaction

• 18 hours ago

Former UFC light heavyweight champion and current Bellator MMA fighter Tito Ortiz has reportedly been cited for misdemeanor battery. According to TMZ Sports, police responded to a call regarding a di read news >>