Elvis Mutapcic - MFCFor MFC middleweight contender Elvis Mutapcic, his promotional debut in August against Jacen Flynn couldn’t have gone much better.

“I went out there and fought at my pace and I thought I performed pretty well,” said Mutapcic of his 99-second TKO victory. “I thought the fight was going to go longer, but it ended pretty quick, so I’m happy about that.

“I was prepared for the best Jacen ever and assumed he was a well-rounded fighter, which he was, but landed a good knee on his chin and ended the fight.”

Getting a chance to gain exposure in the MFC was a big step forward, according to Mutapcic.

“It definitely felt good to fight in front of a larger crowd, more people, and get more exposure and show case my skills and showcase what I’ve got,” he said.

Mutapcic’s reward for his performance is an opportunity to win the promotion’s 185-pound championship at MFC 35 Friday night live on AXS TV. He faces former Ultimate Fighter participant Joseph Henle for the vacant title.

“Henle’s a tough guy. He’s well-rounded, but I think I’m better in every area,” said Mutapcic. “I think that the first mistake he makes, I’m going to capitalize on it and get the W.

“I think both of us are going to turn it up off the bat. I think both of us are seasoned enough and well-rounded enough that nobody’s going to make a mistake without putting pressure on the other guy. I think both of us are going to come forward and neither of us is going to back down. It should be a good show for the crowd.”

Mutapcic told MMAWeekly.com that he sees Friday night as a chance to take a big step forward in his career.

“This is exactly what I need. I want to fight the best in the world, and Henle’s one of those guys I’ve got to get over just to keep moving up,” he said.

Should Mutapcic make it past Henle, he sees no reason why it won’t set up for what could very well be a breakout year for him in 2013.

“I want to take it one fight at a time, but I think next year will be a bigger year than 2012,” he said. “I had to take some time off due to injury and then took some time off before this last fight, so I think next year will be a bigger year than this one.

“I’m currently a full-time fighter, but I also have a full-time job, and I just want to be able to support my family and do what I love instead of working a job. That’s the main goal right now.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your MMA news and updates.

Devin Clark Plans to Take RFA Light Heavyweight Belt as His Star Rises

Undefeated Devin Clark intends to capture the RFA light-heavyweight title on Friday night, and then keep reaching for new heights. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey's UFC Return Amid Miesha Tate Fight Rumours

UFC president Dana White believes former women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is "ready to fight" again, and she will return to the Octagon in November or December. That could open the door for read news >>

WSOF 30 Video Highlights: Jon Fitch Defeats Joao Zeferino to Capture Welterweight Title

Jon Fitch captured the World Series of Fighting welterweight championship on Saturday by defeating Joao Zeferino in the WSOF 30 co-main event in Las Vegas. read news >>

Michael Bisping Video: ‘I Deserve a Title Fight’

With his recent win over Anderson Silva, Michael Bisping believes that he deserves a shot at the UFC middleweight champion. read news >>

Vitor Belfort Says Winner of His UFC 198 Fight with Jacare Souza Deserves Title Shot

Third-ranked middleweight Vitor Belfort believes the winner of his UFC 198 bout against second-ranked Jacare Souza deserves a title fight. read news >>

UFC 198's Antonio Rogerio Nogueira had no plans to retire alongside brother

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira is the last man standing in the UFC from his family after twin brother Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira retired in September. But “Little Nog” insists he’s got a lot left in the tank read news >>

Jose Aldo Talks Conor McGregor's 'Lucky' Punch, Lack of UFC Rematch Frustration

Former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo believes Conor McGregor only won their highly anticipated fight at UFC 194 in December because he was "lucky" to land a knockout shot just seconds into the read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Thinks Justin Bieber Could Do MMA

Urijah Faber is heading into a fight of his own, but he believes entertainer Justin Bieber could also be a fighter. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Plans 'World Domination' as Lyoto Machida Issues Cyborg Warning

Ronda Rousey is planning a return to the UFC and is aiming to reassert the dominance she enjoyed before her November defeat to Holly Holm, according to her nutrition coach, Mike Dolce. Before the bru read news >>

Derrick Lewis plans to stop Gabriel Gonzaga in first, stop Roy Nelson in July

ZAGREB, Croatia – Heavyweight Derrick Lewis has a simple plan for his UFC Fight Night 86 appearance: knock Gabriel Gonzaga out in the first round and book a fight with Roy Nelson.Filed under: Feature read news >>