Efrain Escudero on Fabricio Camoes: “He’s Mentally Weak Sometimes, He Can Be Broken”

• submit to reddit

Efrain Escudero UFC 114

Since his abrupt exit from the UFC, former “Ultimate Fighter” winner Efrain Escudero has been a busy man.

Fighting three times in the last six months, Escudero isn’t slowing down at all as he gets back in the cage tonight against fellow former UFC lightweight Fabricio Camoes at Tachi Palace Fights.

The Arizona fighter said when he left the UFC that he wanted to stay busy so he could earn his way back to the Octagon, and he’s held up to his word thus far. Three fights in with three wins, Escudero will look for No. 4 this weekend.

No time off has become a motto for Escudero lately because outside of his own training, he’s also been busy helping teammate Ben Henderson get ready for his UFC debut against Mark Bocek. Henderson was successful in his endeavor, now it’s Escudero’s turn.

“The last fight was on a Friday as well, I took the weekend off and I was back in the gym on Monday,” Escudero said about his training for this fight.

“I’ve got to think about it as a normal fight. I can’t make any excuses. I have to think Fabricio’s training hard, so I’ve got to do my sparring rounds, I have to do my strength and conditioning, I have to do everything. I can’t, just because I just fought, I can’t take it easy. I wanted to test myself. I tell my body what to do, my body doesn’t tell me what to do.”

Following his release from the UFC, Escudero had a very specific plan to build himself back up and hopefully earn a return to the Octagon. He first wanted to get his confidence back, and then build on each fight with a tougher and tougher opponent.

Facing Fabricio Camoes at Tachi Palace Fights has fallen directly in line with his plans.

“My first fight right out of the UFC I fought this guy that I disliked, I also donated my funds to a charity then afterwards I fought this guy which was on his way to go to the ‘Ultimate Fighter’, so I went to get back on a winning streak and then I fought Ashe (Bowman), and now I think I’m ready for the tough opponents again,” Escudero stated.

Fabricio Camoes is of course a fellow veteran of the UFC, going 0-1-1 during his time there. Despite the brief stint, Escudero still knows what Camoes is capable of against top talent, but he also knows what could break the Brazilian come Friday night.

“I know he has great jiu-jitsu. I know his pros and cons. I know he’s mentally weak sometimes, he can be broken,” said Escudero. “But I also know he has knockout power.”

Mental toughness is a big part of what makes any MMA fighter great or sometimes feeble. Escudero has seen the best fighters crumble under mental strain, and he’s happy to try and push Camoes to and then beyond the breaking point when they fight.

“It’s a very big matter. I kind of saw it in Bocek’s eyes when he was fighting against Ben, you saw that he broke mentally a little bit. It’s a strategy game, once somebody’s in your head it can change a lot,” Escudero explained.

“I’m ready to go 15 minutes non-stop and I know he’s not going to get in my head for the sole reason, I’m going to leave it all out there, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.”

Escudero will look to prove that when he faces Camoes at Tachi Palace Fights tonight in California.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The lineup for the postponed UFC 176 event has been just about completely rescheduled, as a lightweight matchup between Fabricio Camoes and Gray Maynard has been moved to UFC Fight Night 47.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

A lightweight tilt between Gray Maynard and Fabricio Camoes will now take place Aug. 16 in Bangor, Maine. read news >>

The fallout from the UFC 176 cancellation was fast and furious on Wednesday with the event’s undercard bouts quickly finding new dates; the latest being a lightweight bout between Gray Maynard and Fabricio Camoes. read news >>

Goodbye "City of Angels," hello "Pine Tree State." Gray Maynard will return to the Octagon after nearly eight months on the sidelines when he collides with struggling 155-pound Brazilian Fabricio Camoes at the upcoming UFC Fight Night 47 event on FOX Sports 1 from inside the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor, Maine, on Aug. 16, 2014. Their bout was originally scheduled for the "postponed" UFC 176 pay-per-view (PPV). Maynard (11-3) has been riding the pine since last November, when he suffered a t read news >>

A former Ultimate Fighter champion has found a home in the Titan Fighting Championships. Efrain Escudero, the TUF 8 lightweight season winner, has signed with the company and will debut against E.J. Brooks on August 22 at TFC 29 in Fayetteville, N.C., new TFC COO Lex McMahon announced on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. Escudero (22-8), a native of Sonora, Mexico who now lives in Tempe, Ariz., defeated Philipe Nover to win TUF 8 back in 2008. He had a pair of stints in the UFC, the last one end read news >>

On this edition of Shameless MMA, the guys are joined by the UFC's Brandon "RUKUS" Thatch, Fabricio Camoes and Lauren Murphy. Topics include a look in the new cast of challengers for champion Ronda Rousey, and more. read news >>

One day after the announcement of Efrain Escudero’s deal with Titan Fighting Championships, the TUF 8 winner has jumped to another promotion. MMAFighting.com has learned that Escudero will return to the UFC on Sept. 13, and he will face fellow TUF competitor Francisco Trinaldo. Titan FC COO Lex McMahon told MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani that UFC called him yesterday to get Escudero out of their upcoming card in Fayetteville, and Titan FC was cool with it, per their Zuffa out clause. UFC Fight read news >>

“The Ultimate Fighter 8? winner Efrain Escudero is once again back in the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Don't worry, we explain it all below. Efrain Escudero will make his return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Octagon on Sept. 13, 2014 when he faces Fransisco Trinaldo at UFC Fight Night 51, which goes down in Brasilia, Brazil. The news (via MMA Fighting) comes just one day after "Hecho En Mexico" inked a deal to compete for Titan FC. But according to newly-appointed Titan FC COO Lex McMahon -- who also serves as agent to many top UFC stars including Rory MacDonald and Liz Carmouche -- read news >>