Prior to Frankie Edgar‘s last fight against Benson Henderson, he brought in some new training partners to help him prepare for the title rematch.

One of those fighters that came in specifically to help Edgar prepare was Brazilian knockout artist Edson Barboza, who worked with the former champion on his Muay Thai and kickboxing ahead of his bout with Henderson.

Unfortunately for Edgar, he wasn’t able to wrestle the championship away from Henderson after a close, split decision loss, but he did manage to gain a friend and teammate in Barboza along the way.

As a matter of fact, Barboza enjoyed his time so much working alongside Edgar and his team, that he picked up and moved to New Jersey as he prepared for his own fight coming up at UFC on FX 7 in his home country of Brazil.

Not only has Barboza found a new training camp, he’s also found a great friend in Edgar who has become a big brother of sorts to the UFC lightweight.

“For me, it’s Frankie Edgar,” Barboza told MMAWeekly.com what the biggest difference is working with his new team. “He’s the champ, he’s been the champ for a long time, that’s a big difference. Now I know I have good training partners and good coaches. Frankie he won the last fight with Ben Henderson, he’s the best.”

Edgar has taken Barboza under his wing as he’s been getting ready for another title fight, this time against Jose Aldo, as he makes his move down to the featherweight division. Both fighters have helped each other tremendously because Barboza is a world class Muay Thai fighter, and there may not be a person better suited to get Edgar ready for a bout against Aldo.

On the flip side, Edgar and his team of coaches that includes boxing guru Mark Henry, former UFC fighter Ricardo Almeida, and legendary teacher Renzo Gracie, have helped Barboza develop into what he believes is truly the most complete fighter he’s ever been.

“I need to prove everything. I’ve been working for this fight, I’m working with really professional guys. I’ve trained in Florida, I’ve trained in Brazil before, but here in Jersey the coaches are a big difference. I’m learning everything. I think the big difference from my last fight is I’m learning everything, every day. I’m training in everything – jiu-jitsu, wrestling, boxing – I think I’ve improved everything,” said Barboza.

And of course at every step along the way, Edgar has been there to show his support and help Barboza as he gets ready for his next test inside the Octagon.

“I train with him every day. Every day he picks me up at my house for training. Training in the morning, training in the afternoon, training at night, helping me with everything. He’s helped me; I’ve helped him. We’ve stuck together,” Barboza said about Edgar.

“That’s a big difference from my last camp. I’m very happy here because I train with the best guys, and I train with good friends. I think that makes a big difference training with good friends.”

The friends Barboza has made in America will continue to help him add more and more tools to his arsenal as he gets ready to head back into the cage, and back home to Brazil for UFC on FX 7 on Jan. 19.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC news and updates.

The MMA Hour - 288 - Frankie Edgar

Frankie Edgar talks about not being chosen as plan B should Jose Aldo pull out of UFC 189. read news >>

Frankie Edgar talks getting snubbed on UFC 189 interim title shot

Frankie Edgar was ready to hijack UFC President Dana White’s airplane to campaign for a title shot after dominating Urijah Faber at UFC Fight Night 66. Unfortunately for the former lightweight champi read news >>

The MMA Hour - 288 - Marc Ratner

UFC vice president of regulatory affairs Marc Ratner talks about the latest disappointment involving MMA in New York. read news >>

Paulo Filho talks cocaine addiction, believes Jon Jones will go back to it 'sooner or later'

Former WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho talks about how his substance abuse affected his career. He also believes Jon Jones will have a relapse. Paulo Filho was one of the most promising middlew read news >>

Dana White talks Reebok unveiling, Aldo vs. McGregor, Romero's post-fight comments

NEW YORK -- UFC president Dana White talks about Tuesday's Reebok fight kit unveiling, the drama surrounding UFC 189, Yoel Romero's controversial post-fight comments and much more. read news >>

Lorenzo Fertitta 'very confident' Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor will happen on July 11

NEW YORK -- Lorenzo Fertitta talks about the new Reebok Fight Kit, the drama surrounding UFC 189, MMA in New York and much more. read news >>

Ronda Rousey on Bethe Correia: 'I've never wanted to beat someone so badly in my life'

NEW YORK -- Ronda Rousey talks about the new Reebok UFC Fight Kit, meeting Joanna Jedrzejczyk, fighting with injured ribs and her intense desire to beat Bethe Correia on Aug. 1. read news >>

Conor McGregor on UFC 189 drama: 'They say I'm just talk, but here I am walking'

NEW YORK -- Conor McGregor talks about the uncertainty surrounding his UFC 189 title fight against Jose Aldo from all angles, the possibility of fighting Chad Mendes instead, and much more. read news >>

Retired future Hall of Famer B.J. Penn talks about potential UFC comeback

One of the greatest to ever step foot inside the Octagon, B.J. Penn, retired from mixed martial arts (MMA) after losing to Frankie Edgar via third-round technical knockout at The Ultimate Fighter (TU read news >>

UFC 189: Frankie Edgar unhappy with promotion's inconsistency in rankings-based title shots

Frankie Edgar wasn't too thrilled when he discovered that Chad Mendes was pegged as Jose Aldo's replacement if and when the Brazilian is unable to face Conor McGregor at the UFC 189 pay-per-view (PPV read news >>