Eddie Alvarez is happy to be fighting Donald Cerrone at UFC 178, saying that he's at a point in his career where he only wants "big fights" that excite the fans.

Eddie Alvarez signing with the UFC was a significant move as he was one of the few fighters outside the UFC who comes in immediately as a top tier title contender. With the hold the UFC has on the sport of MMA at this point, most have to climb the ranks within the promotion's structure, but Alvarez made his name fighting for Dream in Japan and Bellator here in the United States.

Alvarez will get thrown into the deep end immediately when he faces Donald Cerrone at UFC 178. And that's just fine with Alvarez, as he told MMA Fighting:

"Look, the only fights I want to be involved with at this time in my career, at this time in my life, are big fights. Dangerous guys, big events, where fans are biting their fingernails and they're asking themselves, ‘oh my god, we have no clue what's going to go on.' Those are the sort of fights that I want to be involved in.

"I don't want to wait around. I'm here for the title. I want to make that clear right from the beginning. Don't get me wrong, the UFC is the premier company, the best company in the world. But I'm not here just to be a measuring stick. I'm here for the world title. That's why I signed and that's what I'm here for. It's nothing personal, but I'm going to get after these guys hard, man. I'm going to be a dangerous guy to fight."

When does he see himself in a position to fight for the title? Alvarez said, "A year from now, I would love to put me at three fights, 3-0 in the UFC and the UFC lightweight champion."

UFC 186's Michael Bisping: C.B. Dollaway 'hasn't made an impact in the UFC'

Michael Bisping hasn’t put together consecutive wins since 2011. That may actually be good news as he’s coming off a loss and has never lost back-to-back fights in his lengthy career.Filed under: New read news >>

UFC 186 results: Randa Markos gets the best of Aisling Daly

Aisling Daly had developed a fair bit of hype in the UFC strawweight division, as a Dubliner trained by John Kavanagh. But that alone wasn't enough to lift her to a victory at UFC 186. Canadian Randa read news >>

Rampage vs. Maldonado Results: Winner, Scorecard and Reaction from UFC 186

For the first time in four years, Quinton "Rampage" Jackson picked up a victory in the UFC with a unanimous-decision win over Fabio Maldonado at UFC 186 at the Bell Centre in Montreal. Bleacher Repor read news >>

UFC 186 results - Demetrious Johnson submits Kyoji Horiguchi with 1 second left in round 5

Check out the result from the UFC flyweight championship main event between Demetrious Johnson and Kyoji Horiguchi at UFC 186 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Demetrious Johnson looked for his 6th consec read news >>

'Rampage' Jackson eying UFC rematches with 'everybody that beat me'

MONTREAL – Should Quinton Jackson’s fighting future rest in the UFC, “Rampage” said his sights are set on a series of rematches with fighters who have topped him in the past.Filed under: Featured Vid read news >>

Nate Quarry surprised by fan backlash to UFC antitrust lawsuit

When Nate Quarry signed on to be one of the original three plaintiffs in the class-action lawsuit filed against the UFC, he knew some sort of backlash was inevitable. Quarry, along with UFC veterans read news >>

Quinton Jackson wants to avenge losses against Mauricio Rua, Glover Teixeira

MONTREAL – Now that Quinton Jackson is back in the UFC and has a win under his belt, "Rampage" is thinking about the kind of havoc he can create in the UFC's light heavyweight division. Jackson score read news >>

Rampage Jackson: 3 Potential Fights for Him After His UFC 186 Win

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson is back in the UFC...for now, at least. He's also once again in the win column. Facing Brazilian slugger Fabio Maldonado at UFC 186, Jackson pressed the action early, pushin read news >>

Back in the UFC, Rampage Jackson is on a Mission to Avenge Past Losses

Now that Rampage is officially back in the UFC after a contractual dispute with his previous employer, Bellator MMA, Quinton Jackson wants to avenge his previous losses. read news >>