Michael Chandler and Eddie AlvarezIt’s been nearly a year since he last fought, but Eddie Alvarez is once again under contract with Bellator MMA. He’ll make his next start for the promotion in a rematch with lightweight champion Michael Chandler on the Rampage vs. Tito pay-per-view on Nov. 2 in Long Beach, Calif.

Bellator officials announced the fight on Tuesday.

Chandler and Alvarez last fought at Bellator 58 on Nov. 19, 2011. Their positions were juxtaposed at the time with Alvarez stepping into the bout as Bellator lightweight champion.

It was a back-and-forth battle that went deep into the fourth round. There were several near finishes by both men throughout the fight, but it was Chandler that dropped Alvarez and finished him with a rear naked choke in round four.

That original bout was widely considered the fight of the year in 2011. Bellator president Bjorn Rebney would take it a step further.

“I’ve been cageside for more live fights than almost anyone on the planet,” said Rebney. “Without question, Chandler vs. Alvarez was the best MMA fight I’ve ever seen.

“I’m excited to be able to deliver this rematch to MMA fans.  It’s been a long time coming and we’ve had to jump over a lot of hurdles to get this done, but from the day we announced our PPV, I promised fans that this card was going to be the deepest we’ve ever done, and we are well on our way. This is just the start.”

The Rampage vs. Tito main event pits former UFC light heavyweight champions Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Tito Ortiz against each other.

Chandler has won three consecutive bouts since upsetting Alvarez in 2011. His most recent fight was a 44-second knockout of David Rickels at Bellator 97 on July 31.

“Without sounding too disrespectful, when I fought Eddie the first time in 2011, I didn’t even know what it meant to be an MMA fighter,” Chandler said. “Two years later, I’ve grown so much as a mixed martial artist, and there isn’t a doubt in my mind on Nov. 2, my hand will be raised and the belt will be around my waist.”

Alvarez has won both of his post-Chandler bouts by knockout, defeating Shinya Aoki and Patricky Freire.

Following the Freire knockout, however, Alvarez was mired in an ugly contract negotiation that pitted Bellator against the UFC. Had he not come to terms with Bellator, Alvarez was staring another year or two on the sidelines before the legal wrangling would have weaved its way through the judicial system.

He instead made the move to resign with Bellator to try and avenge the loss that still haunts him.

“I still lose sleep over my loss to Chandler, and I want it off my record,” Alvarez remarked. “This was a long process, but at the end of the day I’m back with Bellator and I’m happy to get back in the cage. I really believe everything happens for a reason, and at the end of the day my family and I are happy, and I’m ready to get my belt back on Nov. 2.”

Rebney has stated that there will be several Bellator title bouts on the Rampage vs. Tito fight card – the promotion’s first foray into the pay-per-view realm – but has yet to reveal any of the other fights.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Former Bellator Champ Michael Chandler Will Do Whatever it Takes to Get Belt Back

Former Bellator champ Michael Chandler has finally turned things around, and he doesn't plan on stopping before he gets the belt back. read news >>

Bellator 145's David Rickels on Chandler rematch: 'This one's special to my heart'

For David Rickels, his rematch with Michael Chandler is an opportunity to prove how far he’s come.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 145: Michael Chandler vs. David Rickels full fight video highlights

ST. LOUIS – Former champ Michael Chandler was a massive favorite in his Friday quest to get back to a lightweight title shot, and he came through with flying colors at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bell read news >>

Marcin Held scoffs at Will Brooks' 'one-dimensional' label ahead of Bellator title fight

Marcin Held has no interest in engaging in a war of words with Will Brooks ahead of their Bellator lightweight championship showdown at Bellator 145 on Nov. 6. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 146 gets Houston Alexander vs. Guilherme Viana and five more prelims

The lineup for Bellator 146 is complete with the addition of one main card bout and five preliminary contests.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 145's Justin Lawrence: It 'took a couple days' to get over Pat Curran injury

Justin Lawrence admits he was devastated when he lost out on the biggest fight of his career at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>