With his Bellator contract nearing an end, Eddie Alvarez could not afford to lose his April 20 rematch against Shinya Aoki.

Alvarez was already coming off a loss to Michael Chandler in November. A second consecutive defeat would have hurt his bargaining power when it comes time to strike a new deal with Bellator or move on to a different promotion, possibly the UFC. Plus, it would have marked his second loss to Aoki in as many meetings between the two.

Alvarez was determined to get back in the cage, though, and getting revenge against Aoki provided plenty of motivation.

“I’ve been sitting for so long,” Alvarez told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “They made me sit for six months. I get to fight twice a year. I’m not 45. I’m 28 and I just feel like if an opportunity presents itself for me to fight, I feel like I should take it. ... If I wasn’t into gambling, I wouldn’t have fought Shinya Aoki for a second time. If I would have lost, I feel like it would have been career suicide for me. I’m a gambling man.”

Aoki heel-hooked Alvarez just 92 seconds into their December 2008 encounter in Japan. In the rematch at Bellator 66, the submission specialist came out aggressively on the feet.

“I didn’t expect him to throw any punches,” Alvarez said. “He just never throws punches. It definitely threw me off guard. He got me with a hook. He caught me with a hook and I went, ‘Whoa, man. He’s throwing some punches here.’”

It didn’t take Alvarez long to adjust. He cracked Aoki with an uppercut and then pounded him out on the ground at the 2:14 mark of the first.

“In my head, I think I was the most calm, the most relaxed, and the most empty minded I’ve ever been,” Alvarez said. “Although I was very aware of what the fight meant and if I won or lost what it would mean, at the same time I found myself able to focus on only the things that I could control and I just sort of took everything else and threw it out. I was very different going into this fight, [more] than any other fight in that I was very calm, relaxed and I felt like all my preparation was done correctly.”

Alvarez actually left his home in Philadelphia to train for the bout in Florida with the Blackzilians camp at Imperial Athletics. His training went so well, he might move there. In fact, Alvarez plans to live with his family in Florida for part of the summer as he weighs his career options.

“We’re going to live down there for maybe half the summer and see how everything works out and possibly seriously consider relocating,” Alvarez said. “I also, in all fairness, love my home and what’s going on, but these next couple of years are going to be defining moments in my career. I’m going to do everything I can to take full advantage of the opportunities that are given to me. If that means having to relocate, my wife is completely a part of my team and is behind me and so are my kids. We’ll just do what I have to do.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:11:55).

Bellator 146 Results: Melvin Manhoef Adds to List of Career Knockout Wins

Melvin Manhoef earned his 28th career knockout with a first-round finish of Hisaki Kato at Bellator 146 in Thackerville, Okla. on Friday evening. read news >>

Bellator 146 video: Melvin Manhoef scores 28th knockout in 30th career win

One thing is nearly certain when Melvin Manhoef fights: You’re going to see a knockout – whether he’s on the giving or receiving end.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator Champ Will Brooks on Patricky Freire: 'Dude Is Garbage'

Will Brooks isn't looking past Marcin Held. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a few words for Patricky Freire. Brooks, who defends his Bellator lightweight title against Held this Friday at Bella read news >>

Bellator's Marcos Galvao confident he'll get trilogy rematch with Joe Warren – eventually

Marcos Galvao is looking for a fight. He had one, and he lost it. He thought he had a new one – and it would’ve been a doozy. But he lost that, too.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Daniel Cormier, UFC Agree to New Contract: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier (17-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) signed an eight-fight contract with the organization Monday. According to Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie, Cormier met with the UFC and read news >>

Bobby Lashley Questions Champion’s Bellator Hiatus

Bobby Lashley is looking forward to avenging his loss to James Thompson, but he's also questioning why Bellator's heavyweight champion disappeared. read news >>

Why Bobby Lashley isn't pining for a potential fight with Kimbo Slice

Outside the cage, Bellator heavyweights Bobby Lashley and “Kimbo Slice” share a relationship, one that’s cordial, but not necessarily close. Still, it makes at least one of them a little uncomfortabl read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): Daniel Cormier and Daniel Straus

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Daniel Cormier and Daniel Straus.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 145's David Rickels on Chandler rematch: 'This one's special to my heart'

For David Rickels, his rematch with Michael Chandler is an opportunity to prove how far he’s come.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Reminder: Part 2 of 'Road To Bellator 145: With A Vengeance' airs tonight on Spike

As a reminder, the second part of a behind-the-scenes series previewing this week’s Bellator 145 event premiers tonight on Spike.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>