With his Bellator contract nearing an end, Eddie Alvarez could not afford to lose his April 20 rematch against Shinya Aoki.

Alvarez was already coming off a loss to Michael Chandler in November. A second consecutive defeat would have hurt his bargaining power when it comes time to strike a new deal with Bellator or move on to a different promotion, possibly the UFC. Plus, it would have marked his second loss to Aoki in as many meetings between the two.

Alvarez was determined to get back in the cage, though, and getting revenge against Aoki provided plenty of motivation.

“I’ve been sitting for so long,” Alvarez told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “They made me sit for six months. I get to fight twice a year. I’m not 45. I’m 28 and I just feel like if an opportunity presents itself for me to fight, I feel like I should take it. ... If I wasn’t into gambling, I wouldn’t have fought Shinya Aoki for a second time. If I would have lost, I feel like it would have been career suicide for me. I’m a gambling man.”

Aoki heel-hooked Alvarez just 92 seconds into their December 2008 encounter in Japan. In the rematch at Bellator 66, the submission specialist came out aggressively on the feet.

“I didn’t expect him to throw any punches,” Alvarez said. “He just never throws punches. It definitely threw me off guard. He got me with a hook. He caught me with a hook and I went, ‘Whoa, man. He’s throwing some punches here.’”

It didn’t take Alvarez long to adjust. He cracked Aoki with an uppercut and then pounded him out on the ground at the 2:14 mark of the first.

“In my head, I think I was the most calm, the most relaxed, and the most empty minded I’ve ever been,” Alvarez said. “Although I was very aware of what the fight meant and if I won or lost what it would mean, at the same time I found myself able to focus on only the things that I could control and I just sort of took everything else and threw it out. I was very different going into this fight, [more] than any other fight in that I was very calm, relaxed and I felt like all my preparation was done correctly.”

Alvarez actually left his home in Philadelphia to train for the bout in Florida with the Blackzilians camp at Imperial Athletics. His training went so well, he might move there. In fact, Alvarez plans to live with his family in Florida for part of the summer as he weighs his career options.

“We’re going to live down there for maybe half the summer and see how everything works out and possibly seriously consider relocating,” Alvarez said. “I also, in all fairness, love my home and what’s going on, but these next couple of years are going to be defining moments in my career. I’m going to do everything I can to take full advantage of the opportunities that are given to me. If that means having to relocate, my wife is completely a part of my team and is behind me and so are my kids. We’ll just do what I have to do.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:11:55).

Frustrated with the career development of Bellator's Michael Page? Well he is, too

Michael Page’s career hasn’t exactly gone the way he or his devoted followers had hoped after more than four years in the game.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 153's Chris Honeycutt: Playing 'Russian roulette' led to first career loss

Chris Honeycutt rolled the dice the last time he entered the Bellator cage. The numbers didn’t come up in his favor, and he suffered the first loss of his career, by knockout, in just 40 seconds. It read news >>

Michael Page and Fernando Gonzalez set to meet at Bellator 158 in London

Michael Page will take the next step in his Bellator career when he faces streaking welterweight Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator 158.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Matt Mitrione makes Bellator debut against Carl Seumanutafa at Bellator 157

Matt Mitrione will step into the Bellator cage for the first time at Bellator 157 when the heavyweight squares off with Carl Seumanutafa.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 153 results: Andrey Koreshkov dominates Benson Henderson to retain title

All the talk leading up to Bellator 153 revolved around Benson Henderson’s jump from the UFC to Bellator. Andrey Koreshkov put a five round beating on Henderson to retain his welterweight title and r read news >>

Twitter reacts to Benson Henderson's upset loss to champ Koreshkov at Bellator 153

Benson Henderson was supposed to make waves in the first fight of his Bellator career at Bellator 153. Apparently Andrey Koreshkov didn’t receive the memo. Check out the top reactions to Koreshkov’s read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Andrey Koreshkov Routes Benson Henderson to Keep the Belt

Benson Henderson received a rude welcome from welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov at Bellator 153 on Friday night in Uncasville, Conn. read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Benson Henderson Results: Winner, Reaction for Bellator 153

When the Bellator brass decided to put new free-agent signing Benson Henderson in a title fight with Andrey Koreshkov, there was the potential for its reigning champion to receive a huge boost in pro read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Koreshkov vs. Henderson Card

Bellator welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov was too big and strong for Benson Henderson on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. The 25-year-old Russian dominated the form read news >>

Bellator 153 highlights: Benson Henderson falters, and Michael Page taunts after toehold

Benson Henderson’s heavily promoted Bellator debut didn’t go as planned – not for him, anyway. Check out the video highlights of that headliner and other Bellator 153 bouts.Filed under: Bellator, Fea read news >>