Ed Soares: Loss to Chris Weidman Humanizes Anderson Silva



Anderson Silva suffered his first loss in the UFC when Chris Weidman knocked him out July 6, but Silva’s manager Ed Soares doesn’t think the defeat will affect the former middleweight champ’s standing in the sport.

“I think it just humanizes Anderson,” Soares told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Monday.

For seven years Silva dominated the UFC’s middleweight division. Occasionally he even climbed up to 205 pounds and didn’t lose there either. Weidman finally ended his remarkable run 1:18 into the second round of their meeting at UFC 162 when he drilled Silva with a left hook and finished him with punches on the ground.

“We hadn’t seen that yet, and I think it’s just part of the business that we’re in,” Soares said. “Eventually you’re going to lose, and it was unfortunate that he had to lose that way, but he did. But like I said, one night is not going to erase what he’s done in the past seven years. He made a mistake, and in this sport, you make a mistake -- you move left instead of moving right, you zig instead of zagging -- you could get knocked out. That’s what ended up happening to Anderson. It could happen to anybody on any day.”

After dismissing the possibility of a rematch while still in the Octagon following the loss, Silva later released a video announcing his intention to fight Weidman again. The fight has been scheduled for Dec. 28 at UFC 168.

“I believe you get to see what Anderson’s like in that video that got put out,” Soares said. “You get to see a little bit of the side of Anderson that most people don’t get to see. At the end of the day he’s a human being. He’s just like you and I. He’s got feelings and he’s a great person. We were all upset that he lost that fight and he was too, but that’s what’s going to show the world the legend that he is, is when he comes back and how he comes back from something like this.”

Soares clarified that there was no rematch clause in Silva’s contract. Rather, he said the UFC has paired Weidman and Silva back together because it’s the fight that makes the most sense. The manager expects a much different ending the second time around.

“I just think that [Silva is] going to go in there and take care of business,” Soares said. “That’s what I feel very confident about. I don’t know what his game plan is going to be. I think it’s still too early, but I believe in Anderson Silva and whatever he decides to do, I have faith in him.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:06:52).

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 43 views

Chris Weidman's busy defending his title. Anderson Silva's busy preparing for his comeback. Vitor Belfort's busy brushing off his critics. Luke Rockhold's busy vying to replace Belfort as one of his read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 34 views

Anderson Silva sends a message of support to NBA star Paul George after he suffered a similar injury to the former UFC champion. Earlier this week, NBA star Paul George suffered a horrific injury dur read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 2 views

Anderson Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, discusses his client’s scheduled return to MMA next January against Nick Diaz. Longtime manager Ed Soares is convinced that his client Anderson Silva is perfectly read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 105 views

And you wouldn't either, according to the Stockton slugger. After sitting out for nearly two years, Nick Diaz decided it was time to get back into the swing of things as he inked a new deal to return read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 26 views

A superfight with UFC legend Anderson Silva on Jan. 31 brought Nick Diaz out of retirement, and his former coach Cesar Gracie believes the Stockton native could hand "The Spider" his third straight l read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 61 views

When I jokingly said on The MMA Beat that if Nick Diaz vs. Anderson Silva was booked, I'd have to question my religious beliefs, I never thought people would take it seriously. But many did, and I'm read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 25 views

And it doesn't help that "Spider" will be two months shy of his 40th birthday when he squares off against Nick Diaz. "I believe it's going to be a stand-up fight the entire time. Nick is better on th read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 68 views

In addition, "All American" says he is okay with having to answer the bevy of questions that are sure to come with facing a man with a history of failed drug tests. Not long after the dust cleared fr read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 496 views

Even though Vitor Belfort received a conditional license to fight at UFC 181, Ray Longo doesn’t feel entirely comfortable with Chris Weidman facing “The Phenom.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>