Anderson Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, doesn’t dislike Chael Sonnen. In fact, he thinks Sonnen is a good guy.

That doesn’t mean Soares approved of Sonnen’s comments leading up to UFC 148, however.

“I’ve always thought Chael was a good guy,” Soares told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I just thought that he crossed the line. Chael is a good person. Chael, when the cameras are off, he’s a good guy. He’s a solid guy. I like Chael. I always have, but I’ll tell you, whether he was just hyping [the fight] or not, there were times when he would start pissing me off and I had nothing to do with it.”

Sonnen leveled remarks at Silva’s wife, his country and more. For sure he helped build a huge amount of anticipation for the bout, but Soares believes Sonnen took the personal attacks too far.

“To hear Chael talk about Anderson’s wife that way and talk about Brazil … to talk about any nation and any other culture that way, I don’t see the benefit for it,” Soares said. “I really don’t see the benefit for it. I do think he crossed the line. I don’t think Chael’s a bad person. I think Chael was just trying to do what he could to try to promote the fight and make this fight as big as possible, but I think that he did cross the line. I’ll say it now and I’ve said it before: No one ever paid attention to Chael Sonnen. No one ever paid attention to him. Unfortunately his style of fighting’s not exciting to watch. The only time people started paying attention to him was when he started talking about Anderson. Once he struck that nerve and saw that it worked, I think he just took it to another level.”

Sonnen’s comments seemed to strike a nerve with Silva. At the weigh-ins, the champ hit the challenger with his shoulder during their faceoff. Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer spoke with Silva’s camp about the incident, but according to Soares, Silva will not be fined.

“Keith Kizer had a talk with us after the fight,” Soares said. “He pulled us to the side and kind of talked to Anderson about what happened. Everybody that knows Anderson knows that that was a little bit out of character. Sometimes emotions get to people. I’m not saying I 100-percent agree with what he did, but I mean, come on, man. People can’t forget that the guy was talking about his wife, talking about his country, talking about all that. At that point in time it’s like two wrongs don’t make a right, but it happens. It’s a fight.”

Of course Silva won the rematch, stopping Sonnen via strikes 1:55 into the second round. Afterward both fighters seemed more cordial with each other. Silva even invited Sonnen to his home for a barbecue, which didn’t surprise Soares as much as it reinforced his view that Silva had moved past Sonnen’s challenge with class.

“I think [Silva] just wears his heart on his sleeve,” Soares said. “It’s done with. He beat him up twice. He submitted him once. He TKO’d him the second time. Now what else does Chael have to say?”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:26:26).

Manager: UFC should not have stripped Jon Jones of light heavyweight title

Malki Kawa gets that the UFC had to suspend Jon Jones. He accepts it. But stripping his client of the light heavyweight title he earned and defended eight times? Kawa isn't a fan of the UFC's decisio read news >>

Report: Floyd Mayweather open to Manny Pacquiao rematch, but 'Pac Man' out until 2016 with rotator cuff surgery

Manny Pacquiao thinks he beat Floyd Mayweather when they battled for 12 rounds last Saturday night (May 2, 2015) in Las Vegas, Nevada (highlights here). "Money" is willing to let him prove it. Maywea read news >>

Jon Jones' Manager: Former Champ 'May Never Return to MMA'

The hit-and-run case of the now-former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones shook up MMA in a big way, and things may not settle down any time soon. According to Jones' manager, Malki Kawa, fight read news >>

Manager Says Jon Jones May Never Return to the UFC

Jon Jones' longtime manager, Malki Kawa, on Monday said that it's quite possible that we may never see Jones in the UFC Octagon ever again. read news >>

Malki Kawa unsure if Jon Jones will ever return to the UFC

Jon Jones' manager Malki Kawa went on The MMA Hour and dropped an interesting nugget regarding the future of the former light heavyweight champion. Jon Jones was supposed to be gearing up for his UFC read news >>

Manager: Jon Jones may never return to MMA

The UFC has suspended Jon Jones indefinitely following his felony arrest last week. But even if that suspension is lifted, Jones might not return to fighting, according to his manager Malki Kawa. "It read news >>

Manager: Jon Jones may never fight in UFC again

Malki Kawa is also disappointed that everybody is quick to judge and forget the great things he's done. Fair or not, it seems all of the great things Jon Jones has done in his short time in mixed mar read news >>

Trading Shots: Are frequent, depressing injuries just a fact of MMA life?

In this week’s Trading Shots, Danny Downes and Ben Fowlkes look at the continuing trend of high-profile injuries forcing late changes to major UFC fight cards, and wonder whether there’s any end in s read news >>

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: 5 symbolic fights to watch to be an informed viewer

David Castillo reflects on what he thinks are the best five fights that reflect what the in-fight narrative will be like once Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao finally settle their long awaited sco read news >>

Zab Judah: Floyd Mayweather trains like he doesn’t have a dollar to his name

Former boxing champion Zab Judah discusses his sparring sessions with Floyd Mayweather ahead of Pacquiao superfight on Saturday. read news >>