Ed Soares: Chael Sonnen’s a Good Guy, But He Crossed the Line

• submit to reddit

Anderson Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, doesn’t dislike Chael Sonnen. In fact, he thinks Sonnen is a good guy.

That doesn’t mean Soares approved of Sonnen’s comments leading up to UFC 148, however.

“I’ve always thought Chael was a good guy,” Soares told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I just thought that he crossed the line. Chael is a good person. Chael, when the cameras are off, he’s a good guy. He’s a solid guy. I like Chael. I always have, but I’ll tell you, whether he was just hyping [the fight] or not, there were times when he would start pissing me off and I had nothing to do with it.”

Sonnen leveled remarks at Silva’s wife, his country and more. For sure he helped build a huge amount of anticipation for the bout, but Soares believes Sonnen took the personal attacks too far.

“To hear Chael talk about Anderson’s wife that way and talk about Brazil … to talk about any nation and any other culture that way, I don’t see the benefit for it,” Soares said. “I really don’t see the benefit for it. I do think he crossed the line. I don’t think Chael’s a bad person. I think Chael was just trying to do what he could to try to promote the fight and make this fight as big as possible, but I think that he did cross the line. I’ll say it now and I’ve said it before: No one ever paid attention to Chael Sonnen. No one ever paid attention to him. Unfortunately his style of fighting’s not exciting to watch. The only time people started paying attention to him was when he started talking about Anderson. Once he struck that nerve and saw that it worked, I think he just took it to another level.”

Sonnen’s comments seemed to strike a nerve with Silva. At the weigh-ins, the champ hit the challenger with his shoulder during their faceoff. Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer spoke with Silva’s camp about the incident, but according to Soares, Silva will not be fined.

“Keith Kizer had a talk with us after the fight,” Soares said. “He pulled us to the side and kind of talked to Anderson about what happened. Everybody that knows Anderson knows that that was a little bit out of character. Sometimes emotions get to people. I’m not saying I 100-percent agree with what he did, but I mean, come on, man. People can’t forget that the guy was talking about his wife, talking about his country, talking about all that. At that point in time it’s like two wrongs don’t make a right, but it happens. It’s a fight.”

Of course Silva won the rematch, stopping Sonnen via strikes 1:55 into the second round. Afterward both fighters seemed more cordial with each other. Silva even invited Sonnen to his home for a barbecue, which didn’t surprise Soares as much as it reinforced his view that Silva had moved past Sonnen’s challenge with class.

“I think [Silva] just wears his heart on his sleeve,” Soares said. “It’s done with. He beat him up twice. He submitted him once. He TKO’d him the second time. Now what else does Chael have to say?”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:26:26).

UFC featherweight fighter Dustin Poirier joined Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour to discuss his opinion on Ireland’s Conor McGregor, as well as the hype and starpower he has generated over the past year. Dustin Poirier is bitterly disappointed that fans are discussing a budding Irish talent instead of a proven WEC veteran for a potential featherweight title shot. A longtime competitor in the UFC's featherweight division, Poirier has gone 8-2 since joining the promotion following the WEC merger, and read news >>

Traditionally, superfights are discussed in terms of dueling champions from separate weight classes, and, like all things with loose interpretations, people tend to get all freaking argumentative about it. Not so long ago, the superest superfight conceivable was UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, a couple of surhumans. With the onset of age and vulnerability -- as well as the reluctance of St-Pierre to bolt 170 -- "super" transferred to Silva an read news >>

UFC star Nick Diaz was featured in a four-minute video clip on UFC.com, where he discussed his fitness training, fighting Anderson Silva and much more. read news >>

A superfight with UFC legend Anderson Silva on Jan. 31 brought Nick Diaz out of retirement, and his former coach Cesar Gracie believes the Stockton native could hand "The Spider" his third straight loss at UFC 183. "I already knew this fight would happen a long time ago," Cesar Gracie told MMAFighting.com, "and I think it’s a great fight." Both fighters enter the cage coming off back-to-back losses. Silva was stopped twice by Chris Weidman, while Diaz suffered decision losses to Georges St-Pierr read news >>

• 3 hours ago

RFA president Ed Soares announced Friday that the promotion will be bringing two title fights to the first legally sanctioned MMA event in the state of South Dakota. read news >>

LAS VEGAS -- UFC president Dana White discusses job opportunities in the UFC, Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz, Joe Rogan's fighting future, Gina Carano, Georges St-Pierre, and much more Friday evening at the UFC Fan Expo. read news >>

LAS VEGAS - UFC president Dana White held his annual Fan Expo question-and-answer session with the fans on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center. As usual, the event was a mix of the serious, the less serious, and the absurd, ranging from detailed questions about the company's business to painful-to-watch attempts at business pitches. One thing the UFC boss did indicate, however, is that he could very well by on the same wavelength as the fans who want the much-discussed potential Ander read news >>

Chris Weidman competes at UFC 175 to defend his middleweight title, but first, watch the fight which got him the championship. read news >>

UFC bantamweight Alex Caceres doesn’t have a high school diploma, but he believes he has a firm grasp on what the school system is all about – especially the pitfalls. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>