Ed Soares: Chael Sonnen’s a Good Guy, But He Crossed the Line

• submit to reddit

Anderson Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, doesn’t dislike Chael Sonnen. In fact, he thinks Sonnen is a good guy.

That doesn’t mean Soares approved of Sonnen’s comments leading up to UFC 148, however.

“I’ve always thought Chael was a good guy,” Soares told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I just thought that he crossed the line. Chael is a good person. Chael, when the cameras are off, he’s a good guy. He’s a solid guy. I like Chael. I always have, but I’ll tell you, whether he was just hyping [the fight] or not, there were times when he would start pissing me off and I had nothing to do with it.”

Sonnen leveled remarks at Silva’s wife, his country and more. For sure he helped build a huge amount of anticipation for the bout, but Soares believes Sonnen took the personal attacks too far.

“To hear Chael talk about Anderson’s wife that way and talk about Brazil … to talk about any nation and any other culture that way, I don’t see the benefit for it,” Soares said. “I really don’t see the benefit for it. I do think he crossed the line. I don’t think Chael’s a bad person. I think Chael was just trying to do what he could to try to promote the fight and make this fight as big as possible, but I think that he did cross the line. I’ll say it now and I’ve said it before: No one ever paid attention to Chael Sonnen. No one ever paid attention to him. Unfortunately his style of fighting’s not exciting to watch. The only time people started paying attention to him was when he started talking about Anderson. Once he struck that nerve and saw that it worked, I think he just took it to another level.”

Sonnen’s comments seemed to strike a nerve with Silva. At the weigh-ins, the champ hit the challenger with his shoulder during their faceoff. Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer spoke with Silva’s camp about the incident, but according to Soares, Silva will not be fined.

“Keith Kizer had a talk with us after the fight,” Soares said. “He pulled us to the side and kind of talked to Anderson about what happened. Everybody that knows Anderson knows that that was a little bit out of character. Sometimes emotions get to people. I’m not saying I 100-percent agree with what he did, but I mean, come on, man. People can’t forget that the guy was talking about his wife, talking about his country, talking about all that. At that point in time it’s like two wrongs don’t make a right, but it happens. It’s a fight.”

Of course Silva won the rematch, stopping Sonnen via strikes 1:55 into the second round. Afterward both fighters seemed more cordial with each other. Silva even invited Sonnen to his home for a barbecue, which didn’t surprise Soares as much as it reinforced his view that Silva had moved past Sonnen’s challenge with class.

“I think [Silva] just wears his heart on his sleeve,” Soares said. “It’s done with. He beat him up twice. He submitted him once. He TKO’d him the second time. Now what else does Chael have to say?”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:26:26).

Chael Sonnen tested positive for four banned substances earlier this month in a second random drug test administered by the Nevada Athletic Commission.Sonnen, who recently announced his retirement from MMA, was asked to take a blood and urine test on June 5 in Portland, Ore., by the NAC because at the time he was scheduled to fight at UFC 175 on July 5 in Las Vegas. The commission learned earlier this week that Sonnen failed those tests due to the presence of human growth hormone (HGH), recombin more

Retired UFC competitor Chael Sonnen offered his thoughts on the Luis Suarez biting controversy that took place earlier in the week in Uruguay’s match against Italy. Arguably the most talked about sporting incident to take place this week was Uruguay's Luis Suarez biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini in their World Cup group stage match on Tuesday afternoon. Suarez, dubbed the ‘Hannibal Lecter of Soccer,' was suspended for nine Uruguay matches and four matches from his early season games with Liverpo more

Anyone stepping up to challenge Chael Sonnen now knows they should watch their fingers carefully. The polarizing former UFC competitor weighed in on the Luis Suarez biting incident. If you have been living under a rock for the past few days, Suarez was banned for nine games and four months for biting an opposing player during the 2014 World Cup. Here's what Sonnen had to say about it on Wednesday night's FOX Sports Live (h/t MMA Fighting): Lets start with what happened on the soccer field. To bi more

But to be fair, I probably would have done likewise. If you stick your finger in Chael Sonnen's mouth during the course of a wrestling match, he will bite it. That's according to the "shady" UFC Tonight co-host, who weighed in on the recent kerfuffle involving Uruguayan soccer star Luis Suarez, who was banned for nine games (and four months) by FIFA for biting an opponent during the World Cup on Wednesday. His words: "Lets start with what happened on the soccer field. To bite someone in the cour more

During a segment on Wednesday night's FOX Sports Live, UFC Tonight hosts Kenny Florian and Chael Sonnen were asked to weigh-in on the recent controversy surrounding Uruguayan soccer star Luis Suarez. The Barclay's Premier League's top scorer has been banned for nine games and four months by FIFA for biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's World Cup match with Italy on Jun. 24, his third such offense. "Lets start with what happened on the soccer field," said Sonnen. "To bite so more

Less than a month after retiring from mixed martial arts, Chael Sonnen will make his debut for Brazilian jiu-jitsu promotion Metamoris on Aug. 9. more

Might be time to re-think all those submission losses in MMA... "It won't be easy... He has evolved and that's natural. If you fight MMA, you should know jiu-jitsu. That's a fact. That's why he trains jiu-jitsu like every other MMA fighter. Evolution is a consequence of training, and he has evolved a lot. I will train and fight by the rules, going for the submission on top or from the bottom. Who knows, maybe he'll pull guard. I have to be ready for every situation. If people think that (I will more

BE's striking specialist Connor Ruebusch, having already delved into the crap, now turns to the good moments from UFC 174, including Demetrious Johnson's exhibition of technical clinching against Ali Bagautinov. A few bad apples can spoil the whole bushel. That was certainly the case with UFC 174 which, like a bad bunch of apples, left a sour taste in the mouths of fans. Perhaps this was the UFC's fault, for putting together the most underwhelming pay-per-view lineup since UFC 161, but we've all more

Andre Galvao has a unique challenge ahead of him. Galvao, a multiple time jiu-jitsu world champion and ADCC winner, headlines Metamoris 4 card against UFC veteran Chael Sonnen in Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 9, in a 20-minute no-gi, submission-only match. Sonnen accepted the challenge days after announcing his retirement from MMA after testing positive in a random drug test, but the fact that he never competed in a grappling match against a guy with Galvao’s credentials doesn’t mean it’s a walk more