Anderson Silva’s manager, Ed Soares, doesn’t dislike Chael Sonnen. In fact, he thinks Sonnen is a good guy.

That doesn’t mean Soares approved of Sonnen’s comments leading up to UFC 148, however.

“I’ve always thought Chael was a good guy,” Soares told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I just thought that he crossed the line. Chael is a good person. Chael, when the cameras are off, he’s a good guy. He’s a solid guy. I like Chael. I always have, but I’ll tell you, whether he was just hyping [the fight] or not, there were times when he would start pissing me off and I had nothing to do with it.”

Sonnen leveled remarks at Silva’s wife, his country and more. For sure he helped build a huge amount of anticipation for the bout, but Soares believes Sonnen took the personal attacks too far.

“To hear Chael talk about Anderson’s wife that way and talk about Brazil … to talk about any nation and any other culture that way, I don’t see the benefit for it,” Soares said. “I really don’t see the benefit for it. I do think he crossed the line. I don’t think Chael’s a bad person. I think Chael was just trying to do what he could to try to promote the fight and make this fight as big as possible, but I think that he did cross the line. I’ll say it now and I’ve said it before: No one ever paid attention to Chael Sonnen. No one ever paid attention to him. Unfortunately his style of fighting’s not exciting to watch. The only time people started paying attention to him was when he started talking about Anderson. Once he struck that nerve and saw that it worked, I think he just took it to another level.”

Sonnen’s comments seemed to strike a nerve with Silva. At the weigh-ins, the champ hit the challenger with his shoulder during their faceoff. Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer spoke with Silva’s camp about the incident, but according to Soares, Silva will not be fined.

“Keith Kizer had a talk with us after the fight,” Soares said. “He pulled us to the side and kind of talked to Anderson about what happened. Everybody that knows Anderson knows that that was a little bit out of character. Sometimes emotions get to people. I’m not saying I 100-percent agree with what he did, but I mean, come on, man. People can’t forget that the guy was talking about his wife, talking about his country, talking about all that. At that point in time it’s like two wrongs don’t make a right, but it happens. It’s a fight.”

Of course Silva won the rematch, stopping Sonnen via strikes 1:55 into the second round. Afterward both fighters seemed more cordial with each other. Silva even invited Sonnen to his home for a barbecue, which didn’t surprise Soares as much as it reinforced his view that Silva had moved past Sonnen’s challenge with class.

“I think [Silva] just wears his heart on his sleeve,” Soares said. “It’s done with. He beat him up twice. He submitted him once. He TKO’d him the second time. Now what else does Chael have to say?”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 2:26:26).

From Around the Web

Chael Sonnen's advice to Anderson Silva: If guilty, 'just come out and say you did it'

Chael Sonnen isn’t sure Anderson Silva’s failed drug test due to multiple steroids is legitimate. If it is, though, he’d like “The Spider” admit his faults.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Chael Sonnen says if Anderson Silva used PEDs, he should admit it

Anderson Silva's failed drug test has been the biggest story post-UFC 183. Needless to say, that his former challenger and long-time rival Chael Sonnen has an opinion about it to share. Chael Sonnen read news >>

Morning Report: Chael Sonnen believes it's reasonable to conclude Anderson Silva used performance enhancing drugs for ye

Nick Diaz isn't the first man to fail a drug screening after fighting former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. That small fraternity includes former middleweight and light heavyweight contend read news >>

Video: Chael Sonnen reacts to Anderson Silva's failed drug test

After the mixed martial arts (MMA) community collectively let out a gasp at the news that Anderson Silva had tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in a pre-fight screening for his UFC 183 b read news >>

Chael Sonnen Video: Free Market or Black Market, Anderson Needed to Repair His Leg | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen had a lot to say about Anderson Silva's recent drug test result, which was positive for steroids, noting the former champ had to do what was necessary. read news >>

Ed Soares on the proposed Machida-Belfort bout for UFC 184: 'It was everything that Lyoto wanted'

When news came down that UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman had suffered an injury while training for his next title defense, the UFC began scrambling to find a replacement to stand in against V read news >>

Jim Alers 'couldn't care less' about fight with 'idiot' Conor McGregor

Jim Alers thinks that long-time rival Conor McGregor has done good things in the UFC, but still thinks he is an ‘idiot.’Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre says Anderson Silva drug test failure is part of a larger issue

Georges St-Pierre thinks that a fighter entering the cage on PEDs is similar to fighting with a knife.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tweet of the Day: Chael Sonnen has an interesting theory on Anderson Silva's drug test failure

Chael Sonnen shared a possible reason on why Anderson Silva failed his drug test. Chael Sonnen, who has fought Anderson Silva twice, has now shared an interesting theory on a possible reason on why t read news >>