It’s a rare case much anymore for the majority of fighters to appear on the Ultimate Fighter to stay in the weight class they competed on during the show.

Due to possibility of weight cutting several times over what is usually a six week period for shooting, a great number of fighters that appear on the reality show compete at a higher weight and then once the competition is over, they move down to a more competitive weight class.

For this season of the Ultimate Fighter, the opposite was true for Team Carwin competitor Sam Alvey.

The biggest part of Alvey’s career has been spent between light heavyweight and middleweight, but when the call came in to be a part of the 16th season of the reality show, the Team Quest fighter had to jump at the opportunity.

“Most of my career I’ve been at 205 and then I made the cut to 185 and that was a pretty big cut. Then 29 days before the show aired I got asked to be on the show, so I cut 40lbs in that 29 days,” Alvey told MMAWeekly Radio on Monday.

The rough weight cut didn’t show during his first appearance on the show as Alvey won by first round knockout. His plan was to try and fight as soon as possible during the quarterfinal round so he wouldn’t have much of a chance to put too much weight back on.

Alvey got his wish because his coach Shane Carwin chose him to compete in the second fight of the season overall, but it all back fired in the fight after another tremendously tough weight cut.

“I was so drained after the cut and I just never regained, I mean in the fight I threw three punches, I had two takedowns or what could have been takedowns had I used it, it just wasn’t my day,” said Alvey.

He pays credit to opponent Joey Rivera, who was looked at as a big underdog heading into the fight against the No. 1 pick from Team Carwin.

“Even if I would have had an easy weight cut maybe I would have lost, he’s an incredible opponent,” Alvey stated.

While the Ultimate Fighter experience as a whole was a great time for Alvey to learn and grow as a competitor, and also giving him his first show in the UFC, he knows now that cutting to welterweight may not have been the best idea.

If the UFC decides he’s best built for the 170lb weight class, of course he’ll stay there, but otherwise Alvey is done with the draining effects of dropping down that low and he plans a return to the middleweight division.

“Ideally, I’m going to go back to middleweight as fast as I can,” Alvey commented.

“But Dana White is now my boss, and if Dana White calls me up and says he wants me at 55, I’ll find a way to make 55. Wherever I’m needed, whatever is offered is where I’ll fight, but 185 I would like to be my home.”

For more news and rumors make sure you’re following MMAWeekly.com on Twitter –> Here

TUF 23 Finale Weigh-in Results: Jedrzejczyk and Gadelha Step Out of the Shadow to Make Weight

In the shadows of a crazy 24 hours, Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Claudia Gadelha made weight to make their TUF 23 Finale title fight official. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Stands Atop TUF 23 Finale Million Dollar Fighter Payroll

Joanna Jedrzejczyk maintained her stranglehold on the UFC strawweight division on Friday, and easily topped the TUF 23 Finale fighter salaries for her efforts. read news >>

Anderson Silva Wanted to Test Himself at UFC 200, Talks Future (Video)

Former middleweight champion Anderson Silva says that he wanted to test himself against light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 and discusses his fighting future. read news >>

UFC Flashback Video: Dana White After UFC 53, TUF Beginnings and TV Deals

Take a look back at UFC president Dana White during the UFC 53 post-fight press conference. The first season of The Ultimate Fighter had just aired... read news >>

TUF 23 Finale Medical Suspensions: Three Fighters Potentially Face Lengthy Time Off

On Tuesday, the Nevada State Athletic Commission released the medical suspensions stemming from The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale, which took place on July 8 in Las Vegas. read news >>

Key Moments in UFC History: Joe Silva Talks Importance of Securing a TV Deal (Video)

In a rare interview, UFC matchmaker Joe Silva discussed the importance of getting the TV deal before it happened with MMAWeekly co-founder the late Ryan Bennett. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 91 Results: John Lineker Crushes Michael McDonald in the First

John Lineker made a statement in the UFC bantamweight division on Wednesday, knocking out Michael McDonald in the main event at UFC Fight Night 91 in South Dakota. read news >>

The UFC's Lightweight Division Is Better Than It Has Ever Been

On Wednesday in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Tony Ferguson, one of the best lightweights on the planet, nearly fell to unknown debutant Lando Vannata. Ferguson had won seven fights in a row against an read news >>

Cro Cop Comes Out of Retirement to Fight in RIZIN FF Open Weight Tournament

Former PRIDE and UFC heavyweight star Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic comes out of retirement to participate in the RIZEN FF Open Weight Gran Prix in September. read news >>

Gilbert Melendez on The Diaz Brothers: ‘Hate Them or Love Them, You’ve Got to Respect Them’ (Video)

Lightweight contender Gilbert Melendez talks about the roots of his training camp, specifically his teammates Nate and Nick Diaz and what it's like to train with the two. read news >>