It’s a rare case much anymore for the majority of fighters to appear on the Ultimate Fighter to stay in the weight class they competed on during the show.

Due to possibility of weight cutting several times over what is usually a six week period for shooting, a great number of fighters that appear on the reality show compete at a higher weight and then once the competition is over, they move down to a more competitive weight class.

For this season of the Ultimate Fighter, the opposite was true for Team Carwin competitor Sam Alvey.

The biggest part of Alvey’s career has been spent between light heavyweight and middleweight, but when the call came in to be a part of the 16th season of the reality show, the Team Quest fighter had to jump at the opportunity.

“Most of my career I’ve been at 205 and then I made the cut to 185 and that was a pretty big cut. Then 29 days before the show aired I got asked to be on the show, so I cut 40lbs in that 29 days,” Alvey told MMAWeekly Radio on Monday.

The rough weight cut didn’t show during his first appearance on the show as Alvey won by first round knockout. His plan was to try and fight as soon as possible during the quarterfinal round so he wouldn’t have much of a chance to put too much weight back on.

Alvey got his wish because his coach Shane Carwin chose him to compete in the second fight of the season overall, but it all back fired in the fight after another tremendously tough weight cut.

“I was so drained after the cut and I just never regained, I mean in the fight I threw three punches, I had two takedowns or what could have been takedowns had I used it, it just wasn’t my day,” said Alvey.

He pays credit to opponent Joey Rivera, who was looked at as a big underdog heading into the fight against the No. 1 pick from Team Carwin.

“Even if I would have had an easy weight cut maybe I would have lost, he’s an incredible opponent,” Alvey stated.

While the Ultimate Fighter experience as a whole was a great time for Alvey to learn and grow as a competitor, and also giving him his first show in the UFC, he knows now that cutting to welterweight may not have been the best idea.

If the UFC decides he’s best built for the 170lb weight class, of course he’ll stay there, but otherwise Alvey is done with the draining effects of dropping down that low and he plans a return to the middleweight division.

“Ideally, I’m going to go back to middleweight as fast as I can,” Alvey commented.

“But Dana White is now my boss, and if Dana White calls me up and says he wants me at 55, I’ll find a way to make 55. Wherever I’m needed, whatever is offered is where I’ll fight, but 185 I would like to be my home.”

For more news and rumors make sure you’re following MMAWeekly.com on Twitter –> Here

Nutritionist George Lockhart talks IV ban, how to safely cut weight and rehydrate

Top MMA nutritionist, George Lockhart gave his expert insight into the recently announced IV rehydration ban, how to safely cut weight and rehydrate, the impact of body fat percentage for fighters, a read news >>

The MMA Hour - 289 - Dan Lambert

ATT co-founder & owner Dan Lambert talks about his involvement on TUF 21 and Robbie Lawler's title defense at UFC 189. read news >>

The MMA Hour - 289 - Jorge Masvidal

Jorge Masvidal talks about his UFC welterweight debut against Cezar Ferreira at TUF 21 Finale this weekend. read news >>

Angela Magana describes thought process behind controversial Twitter persona

LAS VEGAS -- Angela Magana talks about her controversial Twitter persona, fighting Michelle Waterson at the TUF 21 Finale, why she feels like she's the best in the world and much more. read news >>

TUF 21 Finale Weigh-in Results: Finals Set, but Two Main Carders Miss Weight

Sunday night's main and co-main events are set for the TUF 21 Finale, although two main card fighters missed the mark for their bouts. read news >>

TUF 21 Finale: Jorge Masvidal vs. Cezar Ferreira video highlights

LAS VEGAS – Moving up a weight class to face an opponent moving down a division, Jorge Masvidal was at a size disadvantage on paper.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Chris Weidman: Stephen Thompson is 'serious' problem for whole division

LAS VEGAS -- After TUF 21 Finale, UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman discusses Stephen Thompson's performance. Also, Thompson talks about his win, the relationship with his father, what he learn read news >>

TUF 21 Finale Salaries: Masvidal leads the day with 100k payday

UFC payed out $596,000 in reported salaries for their TUF 21 Finale. Jorge Masvidal and Jake Ellenberger were big earners. Check out all the numbers for Sunday's fight card. Overshadowed on a major f read news >>

Video: What's next for 'The Karate Hottie' after TUF 21 Finale win?

LAS VEGAS – After moving up a weight class, signing with the UFC, and making a successful promotional debut, what’s next for “The Karate Hottie”?Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Morning Report: Urijah Faber talks second scuffle with Conor McGregor during TUF filming

Urijah Faber and interim featherweight champion Conor McGregor can't keep their hands off each other. The pair had their notorious backstage tickle fight prior to the weigh-ins at UFC 189 on July 10 read news >>