Draining Weight Cut on TUF 16 Leads Sam Alvey to Return to Middleweight Division

• submit to reddit

It’s a rare case much anymore for the majority of fighters to appear on the Ultimate Fighter to stay in the weight class they competed on during the show.

Due to possibility of weight cutting several times over what is usually a six week period for shooting, a great number of fighters that appear on the reality show compete at a higher weight and then once the competition is over, they move down to a more competitive weight class.

For this season of the Ultimate Fighter, the opposite was true for Team Carwin competitor Sam Alvey.

The biggest part of Alvey’s career has been spent between light heavyweight and middleweight, but when the call came in to be a part of the 16th season of the reality show, the Team Quest fighter had to jump at the opportunity.

“Most of my career I’ve been at 205 and then I made the cut to 185 and that was a pretty big cut. Then 29 days before the show aired I got asked to be on the show, so I cut 40lbs in that 29 days,” Alvey told MMAWeekly Radio on Monday.

The rough weight cut didn’t show during his first appearance on the show as Alvey won by first round knockout. His plan was to try and fight as soon as possible during the quarterfinal round so he wouldn’t have much of a chance to put too much weight back on.

Alvey got his wish because his coach Shane Carwin chose him to compete in the second fight of the season overall, but it all back fired in the fight after another tremendously tough weight cut.

“I was so drained after the cut and I just never regained, I mean in the fight I threw three punches, I had two takedowns or what could have been takedowns had I used it, it just wasn’t my day,” said Alvey.

He pays credit to opponent Joey Rivera, who was looked at as a big underdog heading into the fight against the No. 1 pick from Team Carwin.

“Even if I would have had an easy weight cut maybe I would have lost, he’s an incredible opponent,” Alvey stated.

While the Ultimate Fighter experience as a whole was a great time for Alvey to learn and grow as a competitor, and also giving him his first show in the UFC, he knows now that cutting to welterweight may not have been the best idea.

If the UFC decides he’s best built for the 170lb weight class, of course he’ll stay there, but otherwise Alvey is done with the draining effects of dropping down that low and he plans a return to the middleweight division.

“Ideally, I’m going to go back to middleweight as fast as I can,” Alvey commented.

“But Dana White is now my boss, and if Dana White calls me up and says he wants me at 55, I’ll find a way to make 55. Wherever I’m needed, whatever is offered is where I’ll fight, but 185 I would like to be my home.”

For more news and rumors make sure you’re following MMAWeekly.com on Twitter –> Here

On this week's edition of Shameless MMA, the guys talk with former MFC Champ turned UFC hopeful Sam Alvey. Also joining the show is American Top Team co-founder Ricardo Liborio. more

Although drastic weight cuts are anything but uncommon in MMA, UFC welterweight Mike Rhodes may have taken things to a whole new level for his octagon debut in January. Filed under: News, UFC more

Ultimate Fighter winner Kelvin Gastelum discusses his upcoming fight with Nico Musoke, adapting to the cut to 170lb. and what his future plans include. Kelvin Gastelum may be young and relatively inexperienced, but he is well aware that he is the favourite in his upcoming match-up on Saturday night. The Ultimate Fighter season 17 winner is scheduled to take part in the upcoming UFC Fight Night event in San Antonio, Texas, where he will face Nico Musoke in a featured contest on the main card. The more

Michael Thompson and Kevin Ross hit their contracted marks to make official the Lion Fight 16 main event. more

With UFC 175 on Saturday and The Ultimate Fighter 19 finale on Sunday, it was a busy weekend. Chris Weidman and Ronda Rousey both defended their championships at UFC 175. The middleweight champion faced some adversity in the later rounds, but Weidman ultimately held Lyoto Machida off for a decision win. Getting her hand raised in much smoother fashion, Rousey knocked Alexis Davis out in only 16 seconds after tossing the challenger to the canvas. On Sunday, Frankie Edgar brought an end to BJ Penn more

Three new bouts have been added to “The Ultimate Fighter 19” Finale, rounding out the card to 10. more

The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale (TUF 19 Finale) Date: July 6, 2014 Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center Location: Las Vegas TUF 19 Finale Articles TUF 19 Finale Videos TUF 19 Finale Fight Card Frankie Edgar (16-4-1) vs. BJ Penn (16-9-2) Justin Scoggins (9-0) vs. Dustin Ortiz (13-3) Derrick Lewis (10-2, 1 NC) vs. Guto Inocente [...] more

With the addition of three new bouts to the fight card, The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale could feature a lineup that’s light on cast members.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

Team Edgar teammates Corey Anderson and Patrick Walsh fought for a spot in the light heavyweight finals on the eleventh episode of The Ultimate Fighter 19. more