It’s a rare case much anymore for the majority of fighters to appear on the Ultimate Fighter to stay in the weight class they competed on during the show.

Due to possibility of weight cutting several times over what is usually a six week period for shooting, a great number of fighters that appear on the reality show compete at a higher weight and then once the competition is over, they move down to a more competitive weight class.

For this season of the Ultimate Fighter, the opposite was true for Team Carwin competitor Sam Alvey.

The biggest part of Alvey’s career has been spent between light heavyweight and middleweight, but when the call came in to be a part of the 16th season of the reality show, the Team Quest fighter had to jump at the opportunity.

“Most of my career I’ve been at 205 and then I made the cut to 185 and that was a pretty big cut. Then 29 days before the show aired I got asked to be on the show, so I cut 40lbs in that 29 days,” Alvey told MMAWeekly Radio on Monday.

The rough weight cut didn’t show during his first appearance on the show as Alvey won by first round knockout. His plan was to try and fight as soon as possible during the quarterfinal round so he wouldn’t have much of a chance to put too much weight back on.

Alvey got his wish because his coach Shane Carwin chose him to compete in the second fight of the season overall, but it all back fired in the fight after another tremendously tough weight cut.

“I was so drained after the cut and I just never regained, I mean in the fight I threw three punches, I had two takedowns or what could have been takedowns had I used it, it just wasn’t my day,” said Alvey.

He pays credit to opponent Joey Rivera, who was looked at as a big underdog heading into the fight against the No. 1 pick from Team Carwin.

“Even if I would have had an easy weight cut maybe I would have lost, he’s an incredible opponent,” Alvey stated.

While the Ultimate Fighter experience as a whole was a great time for Alvey to learn and grow as a competitor, and also giving him his first show in the UFC, he knows now that cutting to welterweight may not have been the best idea.

If the UFC decides he’s best built for the 170lb weight class, of course he’ll stay there, but otherwise Alvey is done with the draining effects of dropping down that low and he plans a return to the middleweight division.

“Ideally, I’m going to go back to middleweight as fast as I can,” Alvey commented.

“But Dana White is now my boss, and if Dana White calls me up and says he wants me at 55, I’ll find a way to make 55. Wherever I’m needed, whatever is offered is where I’ll fight, but 185 I would like to be my home.”

For more news and rumors make sure you’re following MMAWeekly.com on Twitter –> Here

TUF 24 Finale Athlete Outfitting pay: Champ Demetrious Johnson leads 2016's second-highest non-PPV payout

LAS VEGAS – Fighters from Saturday’s The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok, totaling $185,000.Filed under read news >>

TUF 24 Finale Quick Results: Mighty Mouse Retains, the Flyweight Division Shines | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Tracy Lee-USA TODAY Sports On Saturday night, the UFC returned to glimmering Las Vegas, Nevada with the finale of the latest season of The Ultimate Fighter. When all was said and done, this read news >>

Jorge Masvidal: 'I've Got Three Times The Heart of Anybody at Welterweight' (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jorge Masvidal talks to the media about his TUF 24 Finale win over Jake Ellenberger, the strange ending and having more heart than anyone in the division. read news >>

Dana White Says Cris Cyborg Shot Down UFC Featherweight Title Fight | MMAWeekly.com

While Cris Cyborg has been calling for a UFC featherweight division, Dana White said that she shot down his attempts to put her in a 145-pound title fight. read news >>

Henry Cejudo, Three Others Possibly Suspended Until June 2017 (TUF 24 Finale) | MMAWeekly.com

Henry Cejudo and three other fighters could be sidelined until June of 2017 after landing on the TUF 24 Finale suspension list. read news >>

Derrick Lewis Fighting for His Family's Future (UFC Albany Video) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Derrick Lewis talks about his life story and why he feels like he has lived two different lives. Don't miss Lewis in the main event of UFC Albany. read news >>

Dooho Choi Brings Electricity to Featherweights in Conor McGregor's Absence

• 18 hours ago

The most terrifying man in the UFC featherweight division looks like he’s straight out of a K-pop smash hit, smiling and baby-faced, with a mop of (occasionally dyed) hair that brushes the top of his read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum Recounts UFC 205 Weight Cut, Updates Progress for UFC 206 (video) | MMAWeekly.com

• 10 hours ago

Kelvin Gastelum talks about his UFC 206 fight with Tim Kennedy, his flubbed weight cut at UFC 205, and his progress toward making weight for Toronto. read news >>

Tim Kennedy Talks UFC 206, the MMA Athletes Association, and Retirement (video) | MMAWeekly.com

• 9 hours ago

Tim Kennedy addressed Kelvin Gastelum, his participation in the new MMA Athletes Association, and the possibility that this could be his final fight. read news >>

Donald Cerrone: The Eye Injury was Real... Sort Of (video) | MMAWeekly.com

• 8 hours ago

Donald Cerrone talks about his eye injury, his fight with Matt Brown, and his stance on the MMAAA, including strong words about Bjorn Rebney. read news >>