It’s a rare case much anymore for the majority of fighters to appear on the Ultimate Fighter to stay in the weight class they competed on during the show.

Due to possibility of weight cutting several times over what is usually a six week period for shooting, a great number of fighters that appear on the reality show compete at a higher weight and then once the competition is over, they move down to a more competitive weight class.

For this season of the Ultimate Fighter, the opposite was true for Team Carwin competitor Sam Alvey.

The biggest part of Alvey’s career has been spent between light heavyweight and middleweight, but when the call came in to be a part of the 16th season of the reality show, the Team Quest fighter had to jump at the opportunity.

“Most of my career I’ve been at 205 and then I made the cut to 185 and that was a pretty big cut. Then 29 days before the show aired I got asked to be on the show, so I cut 40lbs in that 29 days,” Alvey told MMAWeekly Radio on Monday.

The rough weight cut didn’t show during his first appearance on the show as Alvey won by first round knockout. His plan was to try and fight as soon as possible during the quarterfinal round so he wouldn’t have much of a chance to put too much weight back on.

Alvey got his wish because his coach Shane Carwin chose him to compete in the second fight of the season overall, but it all back fired in the fight after another tremendously tough weight cut.

“I was so drained after the cut and I just never regained, I mean in the fight I threw three punches, I had two takedowns or what could have been takedowns had I used it, it just wasn’t my day,” said Alvey.

He pays credit to opponent Joey Rivera, who was looked at as a big underdog heading into the fight against the No. 1 pick from Team Carwin.

“Even if I would have had an easy weight cut maybe I would have lost, he’s an incredible opponent,” Alvey stated.

While the Ultimate Fighter experience as a whole was a great time for Alvey to learn and grow as a competitor, and also giving him his first show in the UFC, he knows now that cutting to welterweight may not have been the best idea.

If the UFC decides he’s best built for the 170lb weight class, of course he’ll stay there, but otherwise Alvey is done with the draining effects of dropping down that low and he plans a return to the middleweight division.

“Ideally, I’m going to go back to middleweight as fast as I can,” Alvey commented.

“But Dana White is now my boss, and if Dana White calls me up and says he wants me at 55, I’ll find a way to make 55. Wherever I’m needed, whatever is offered is where I’ll fight, but 185 I would like to be my home.”

For more news and rumors make sure you’re following MMAWeekly.com on Twitter –> Here

UFC Fight Night 65's Sam Alvey is on a mission to beat all middleweight 'TUF' winners

Sam Alvey disappointed during his stint on “The Ultimate Fighter,” now he’s aiming to take out anyone in his weight class who has won the show.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 137’s Mike Richman talks weight-cutting troubles before miss

Three weeks from his ill-fated bout with former Bellator bantamweight champ Eduardo Dantas, Mike Richman said he felt good about fighting at 135 pounds. But, he added, it was not a fun experience.Fil read news >>

Chris Weidman talks weight cutting, punching everyone in the face with Katie Nolan

Chris Weidman was recently a guest on Garbage Time with Katie Nolan and told the world that he wants to punch Justin Bieber in the face. And Floyd Mayweather. And lots of other people. It's rare that read news >>

CB Dollaway discusses being held up in customs for six hours upon arriving to Montreal

MONTREAL -- CB Dollaway talks about his UFC 186 fight against Michael Bisping, being held up in customs for six hours upon arriving to Montreal, what went wrong against Lyoto Machida, getting under M read news >>

The Downes Side: UFC 186 Predictions

UFC / WEC veteran Dan Downes talks strategy and predictions for UFC 186: Johnson vs. Horiguchi, taking place Saturday, April 25... read news >>

Jacare Souza's manager 'surprised' by middleweight's drop in rankings

Ronaldo Souza was the No. 1 contender in the UFC’s middleweight division and made quick work of late replacement Chris Camozzi in the co-main event of UFC on FOX 15. The first-round submission victor read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians,' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 1

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the first show of the season – and his fight on the premier episo read news >>

TUF 21 American Top Team vs. Blackzilians: Episode 1 Recap and Results

The Ultimate Fighter returned with its 21st season of the long-running reality TV series Wednesday night with the first episode. This season is not like any other season, though, as two MMA gyms in t read news >>

TUF 21, The First Fight Video: Michael Graves vs. Kamaru Usman (SPOILER)

There has been a contentious rivalry between American Top Team and Blackzilians, and that spilled over into the first fight of the season. read news >>