It’s a rare case much anymore for the majority of fighters to appear on the Ultimate Fighter to stay in the weight class they competed on during the show.

Due to possibility of weight cutting several times over what is usually a six week period for shooting, a great number of fighters that appear on the reality show compete at a higher weight and then once the competition is over, they move down to a more competitive weight class.

For this season of the Ultimate Fighter, the opposite was true for Team Carwin competitor Sam Alvey.

The biggest part of Alvey’s career has been spent between light heavyweight and middleweight, but when the call came in to be a part of the 16th season of the reality show, the Team Quest fighter had to jump at the opportunity.

“Most of my career I’ve been at 205 and then I made the cut to 185 and that was a pretty big cut. Then 29 days before the show aired I got asked to be on the show, so I cut 40lbs in that 29 days,” Alvey told MMAWeekly Radio on Monday.

The rough weight cut didn’t show during his first appearance on the show as Alvey won by first round knockout. His plan was to try and fight as soon as possible during the quarterfinal round so he wouldn’t have much of a chance to put too much weight back on.

Alvey got his wish because his coach Shane Carwin chose him to compete in the second fight of the season overall, but it all back fired in the fight after another tremendously tough weight cut.

“I was so drained after the cut and I just never regained, I mean in the fight I threw three punches, I had two takedowns or what could have been takedowns had I used it, it just wasn’t my day,” said Alvey.

He pays credit to opponent Joey Rivera, who was looked at as a big underdog heading into the fight against the No. 1 pick from Team Carwin.

“Even if I would have had an easy weight cut maybe I would have lost, he’s an incredible opponent,” Alvey stated.

While the Ultimate Fighter experience as a whole was a great time for Alvey to learn and grow as a competitor, and also giving him his first show in the UFC, he knows now that cutting to welterweight may not have been the best idea.

If the UFC decides he’s best built for the 170lb weight class, of course he’ll stay there, but otherwise Alvey is done with the draining effects of dropping down that low and he plans a return to the middleweight division.

“Ideally, I’m going to go back to middleweight as fast as I can,” Alvey commented.

“But Dana White is now my boss, and if Dana White calls me up and says he wants me at 55, I’ll find a way to make 55. Wherever I’m needed, whatever is offered is where I’ll fight, but 185 I would like to be my home.”

For more news and rumors make sure you’re following on Twitter –> Here

Ronda Rousey’s Rowdy Questions: Would You Coach TUF Again and Favorite Fighter?

In this latest quick clip, Ronda Rousey talks about whether or not she would consider coaching on TUF again, and lays down her pick for her favorite UFC fighter. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77: Thomas Almeida vs. Anthony Birchak video highlights

Thomas Almeida continued to show the bantamweight division that he’s perhaps the most dangerous challenger to the title right now with another stoppage on Saturday. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77: Thomas Almeida Scores Vicious Knockout over Anthony Birchak

We've seen some absolutely devastating knockouts over the years in MMA, but UFC bantamweight Thomas Almeida might've scored one of the most vicious in recent memory. Facing Anthony Birchak at UFC Fig read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77’s Gilbert Burns: ‘I can submit anyone in the top 10 of my weight class’

In jiu-jitsu math, UFC lightweight Gilbert Burns is one up on ex-champ Benson Henderson.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77's Corey Anderson: 'I'm definitely a problem for the division'

SAO PAULO – Corey Anderson believes he’s done pretty well for himself in a little more than two years as a pro fighter. What can the UFC light heavyweight accomplish in another two years? The sky is read news >>

RFA 32's Leandro Higo: 'TUF: Brazil 4' disappointment won't keep me from UFC

When Leandro Higo fights tonight at RFA 32, he’ll enter the cage with the goal of almost every fighter: earning his way into the UFC.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Talks Jon Jones UFC Rematch, Pay-Per-View Target, More

Daniel Cormier believes a rematch between him and Jon Jones has the potential to be a "really, really big" fight, one that he feels can increase their previous pay-per-view numbers by more than doubl read news >>

Patrick Cummins: Still Penning An Epic Tale

Patrick Cummins’ ascension to the elite level in the UFC’s light heavyweight division is one of the great stories to hit the sport in recent years. Just don’t tell him that, as he’ll recall a time wh read news >>

Glover Teixeira: In the Prime of His Life

Respected as one of the top strikers in the light heavyweight division, one tutored by the likes of Chuck Liddell and John Hackleman, Glover Teixeira could have avoided mixed martial arts altogether read news >>

UFC's Light Heavyweight Division Needs Jones vs. Cormier 2 Now More Than Ever

The numbers are in on Daniel Cormier’s fledgling reign over the UFC light heavyweight division and, well, they’re not great. According to longtime MMA reporter Dave Meltzer, via Bloody Elbow’s Mookie read news >>