It’s a rare case much anymore for the majority of fighters to appear on the Ultimate Fighter to stay in the weight class they competed on during the show.

Due to possibility of weight cutting several times over what is usually a six week period for shooting, a great number of fighters that appear on the reality show compete at a higher weight and then once the competition is over, they move down to a more competitive weight class.

For this season of the Ultimate Fighter, the opposite was true for Team Carwin competitor Sam Alvey.

The biggest part of Alvey’s career has been spent between light heavyweight and middleweight, but when the call came in to be a part of the 16th season of the reality show, the Team Quest fighter had to jump at the opportunity.

“Most of my career I’ve been at 205 and then I made the cut to 185 and that was a pretty big cut. Then 29 days before the show aired I got asked to be on the show, so I cut 40lbs in that 29 days,” Alvey told MMAWeekly Radio on Monday.

The rough weight cut didn’t show during his first appearance on the show as Alvey won by first round knockout. His plan was to try and fight as soon as possible during the quarterfinal round so he wouldn’t have much of a chance to put too much weight back on.

Alvey got his wish because his coach Shane Carwin chose him to compete in the second fight of the season overall, but it all back fired in the fight after another tremendously tough weight cut.

“I was so drained after the cut and I just never regained, I mean in the fight I threw three punches, I had two takedowns or what could have been takedowns had I used it, it just wasn’t my day,” said Alvey.

He pays credit to opponent Joey Rivera, who was looked at as a big underdog heading into the fight against the No. 1 pick from Team Carwin.

“Even if I would have had an easy weight cut maybe I would have lost, he’s an incredible opponent,” Alvey stated.

While the Ultimate Fighter experience as a whole was a great time for Alvey to learn and grow as a competitor, and also giving him his first show in the UFC, he knows now that cutting to welterweight may not have been the best idea.

If the UFC decides he’s best built for the 170lb weight class, of course he’ll stay there, but otherwise Alvey is done with the draining effects of dropping down that low and he plans a return to the middleweight division.

“Ideally, I’m going to go back to middleweight as fast as I can,” Alvey commented.

“But Dana White is now my boss, and if Dana White calls me up and says he wants me at 55, I’ll find a way to make 55. Wherever I’m needed, whatever is offered is where I’ll fight, but 185 I would like to be my home.”

For more news and rumors make sure you’re following on Twitter –> Here

Dana White: The flyweight division isn't getting the respect it deserves | TUF Talk

UFC President Dana White talks about the format of season 24 of ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ the flyweight division, Joe Silva stepping down as UFC matchmaker and more. read news >>

Biggest Upset in TUF History Happened This Week |

Arguably the biggest upset in the history of The Ultimate Fighter happened on the fifth episode of TUF 24: Tournament of Champions, which aired on Wednesday. read news >>

'TUF 24' contestant Brandon Moreno in for Pettis, meets Louis Smolka at UFC Fight Night 96

Louis Smolka has had a busy day. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

From getting 'armlock king' title to headlining in Brazil, Gilbert Burns talks his long list of UFC goals

BRASILIA, Brazil – Say what you want about Gilbert Burns, but you can't question the man’s ambition. Set to face fellow countryman Michel Prazeres on this Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 95, Burns doesn’t read news >>

CES MMA 38 video highlights: Sean Soriano's mistake leads to Levan Makashvili submission

Check out the video highlights from Friday’s CES MMA 38 event, which included a battle between a pair of UFC vets in the main event.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, Videos read news >>

Joe Rogan Asks UFC to Open Women's 145-Pound Division for Cris Cyborg |

Joe Rogan isn't a fan of Cris Cyborg's difficult weight-cutting and wants the UFC to do something about it. read news >>

Joe Rogan speaks out, asks UFC to open up women’s featherweight division for 'Cyborg'

Longtime UFC commentator Joe Rogan hates hard weight cuts, so watching Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino get to 140 pounds – officially 141 – had to be hard for him.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cris Cyborg: The UFC’s Conundrum |

Cris Cyborg is arguably the most dominant champion in MMA today, but the UFC doesn't have her division and no one is lining up to face her. read news >>

John Dodson vs. John Lineker: A Head-to-Toe Breakdown

Two former 125-pound contenders who never met in the flyweight division will now meet in the main event of UFC Fight Night 96 in the hopes of becoming title contenders at bantamweight. John Lineker m read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Talks Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez UFC 205 Fight Booking

UFC fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov has branded the organisation a "freak show" after the confirmation that featherweight champion Conor McGregor would face lightweight counterpart Eddie Alvarez at UFC 2 read news >>