It’s a rare case much anymore for the majority of fighters to appear on the Ultimate Fighter to stay in the weight class they competed on during the show.

Due to possibility of weight cutting several times over what is usually a six week period for shooting, a great number of fighters that appear on the reality show compete at a higher weight and then once the competition is over, they move down to a more competitive weight class.

For this season of the Ultimate Fighter, the opposite was true for Team Carwin competitor Sam Alvey.

The biggest part of Alvey’s career has been spent between light heavyweight and middleweight, but when the call came in to be a part of the 16th season of the reality show, the Team Quest fighter had to jump at the opportunity.

“Most of my career I’ve been at 205 and then I made the cut to 185 and that was a pretty big cut. Then 29 days before the show aired I got asked to be on the show, so I cut 40lbs in that 29 days,” Alvey told MMAWeekly Radio on Monday.

The rough weight cut didn’t show during his first appearance on the show as Alvey won by first round knockout. His plan was to try and fight as soon as possible during the quarterfinal round so he wouldn’t have much of a chance to put too much weight back on.

Alvey got his wish because his coach Shane Carwin chose him to compete in the second fight of the season overall, but it all back fired in the fight after another tremendously tough weight cut.

“I was so drained after the cut and I just never regained, I mean in the fight I threw three punches, I had two takedowns or what could have been takedowns had I used it, it just wasn’t my day,” said Alvey.

He pays credit to opponent Joey Rivera, who was looked at as a big underdog heading into the fight against the No. 1 pick from Team Carwin.

“Even if I would have had an easy weight cut maybe I would have lost, he’s an incredible opponent,” Alvey stated.

While the Ultimate Fighter experience as a whole was a great time for Alvey to learn and grow as a competitor, and also giving him his first show in the UFC, he knows now that cutting to welterweight may not have been the best idea.

If the UFC decides he’s best built for the 170lb weight class, of course he’ll stay there, but otherwise Alvey is done with the draining effects of dropping down that low and he plans a return to the middleweight division.

“Ideally, I’m going to go back to middleweight as fast as I can,” Alvey commented.

“But Dana White is now my boss, and if Dana White calls me up and says he wants me at 55, I’ll find a way to make 55. Wherever I’m needed, whatever is offered is where I’ll fight, but 185 I would like to be my home.”

For more news and rumors make sure you’re following MMAWeekly.com on Twitter –> Here

Dustin Poirier talks impromptu visit from Yancy Medeiros before weight miss

NEW ORLEANS – Of course, UFC lightweight Dustin Poirier can’t be too mad that Yancy Medeiros missed weight for their meeting tonight at UFC Fight Night 68. He knew about it beforehand, and he still g read news >>

Joseph Benavidez discusses state of flyweight division, managers in MMA

MEXICO CITY -- Joseph Benavidez talks about the state of the flyweight division heading into UFC 188, what he would like to happen next, the state of managers in MMA, and more. read news >>

Frankie Edgar 'Disappointed' He's Not the Reserve Guy for UFC 189

The UFC featherweight division is the most talent-rich weight class in the sport today. With numerous perennial contenders residing atop the division, the 145-pound title picture often resembles a th read news >>

Erick Silva details game plan against Rick Story, vows to 'end the fight as soon as possible'

Erick Silva talks about his upcoming bout against Rick Story, his gameplan and how the change in locations affected his training. Erick Silva wants to get noticed in the welterweight division once ag read news >>

Vitor Belfort: I'm still at the top of my division and can make another run at the UFC title

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight No. 1 contender, Vitor Belfort, was blown away by Chris Weidman at the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) event last month in Las Vegas, Nevada (video read news >>

Dustin Poirier was fine with Yancy Medeiros missing weight

"The Diamond" shares the story of how his opponent visited him before weigh-ins, to confess that he wouldn't make the limit. Usually, if a fighter misses the weight limit, it is a disappointment to h read news >>

UFC 188 live results stream

One of these guys is the "real" heavyweight champion. Whether it's reigning division kingpin Cain Velasquez or interim titleholder Fabricio Werdum will be decided this Saturday night (June 13, 2015), read news >>

Video: Francisco Rivera talks lack of bonus, possible rematch with Urijah Faber

After a 21-second thrashing of Alex Caceres, Francisco Rivera openly begged for a $50,000 fight-night bonus. He didn’t get it, but he hopes UFC officials will grant his other wish.Filed under: Featur read news >>

Max Holloway: The UFC Featherweight Division's Next Rising Star

There is something special about seeing a fighter coming into his own, and Max Holloway is in the midst of making that process a reality. The 23-year-old Hawaiian scrapper may have struggled to find read news >>

Sam Alvey credits 'finding that groove' and his wife's input for UFC success

UFC middleweight Sam Alvey is always smiling, hence the nickname "Smilin'", but with a three-fight win streak in the Octagon, he's got a lot of reasons to be grinning. "I've been getting hit up on Fa read news >>