francis-carmont-7.jpgFrancis Carmont (20-7 MMA, 4-0 UFC) hasn’t lost in nearly five years, but to hear him talk about his most recent appearance, it’s clear he doesn’t consider it a true victory.

Carmont has eyes on an eventual shot at the UFC middleweight title, but he knows a split-decision win over Tom Lawlor isn’t going to get him there any faster.

“I didn’t make the fight I wanted,” Carmont told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I want to finish all my fights, so I’m not satisfied with my performance against Tom Lawlor, but I’m going to come back strong to make a good fight.”

For the 31-year-old Carmont, a French-born fighter now living in Canada, that UFC 154 fight proved a more difficult challenge than he expected. A veteran of fights around the globe, Carmont fought in his adopted hometown of Montreal, and he admits the experience proved problematic.

“I didn’t feel good,” Carmont admitted. “I think there was a lot of pressure because I had a lot of friends and family in Montreal. Usually I go to another country to fight, but this was my country now, and I think there was a little bit of pressure

“When go to another country, you don’t know anybody. You just do your work. But when you fight in your own country, it’s so different.”

Despite the challenge, Carmont did pick up a victory, and he now boasts a nine-fight win streak that includes four UFC outings. He’ll put that run on the line at next month’s “UFC on FOX 7: Henderson vs. Melendez” event, where he meets Strikeforce import Lorenz Larkin (13-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on the evening’s FUEL TV-broadcast preliminary card.

Larkin is a flashy striker who is certainly capable of highlight-reel moments, and Carmont said he’s excited for the chance to engage.

“He’s one of the best middleweights in the world,” Carmont said. “He’s undefeated. He had good performances in Strikeforce, and now he comes to the UFC very hungry to make a big fight and go to the title. But you know, it’s the same for me. I want to have good fights and continue my way to the middleweight belt. But I like the fight because it’s an exciting fighter.

“He’s not a wrestling guy will look to kill the fight. He comes for an exciting fight. I come for that, too. It’s going to be an exciting fight. I prefer to stand up in the fight. He is the same. It’s true, it’s MMA, and you must do wrestling and jiu-jitsu, but if he wants to strike, I’m ready for that.”

And with a win, Carmont could very well be ready for a matchup with a top contender at 185 pounds. With Lawlor, Karlos Vemola, Magnus Cedenblad and Chris Camozzi in his rear-view mirror, Carmont is now starting to let himself consider what lies ahead.

“It’s my target; I want to have that belt,” Carmont said. “For the moment, I’m focused on Lorenz Larkin, but we fight in the best organization in the world, and I want the belt. I want to be the first man in the UFC to defeat Anderson Silva. But it’s not for the moment. It’s Lorenz Larkin, and I’m focused on him.”

And Carmont said he’s focused on getting finishes as he makes his way up the ladder.

“I want people to know who I am,” Carmont said. “I don’t want to make a boring fight. That happens to every fighter. Even Anderson Silva has had boring fights. But I want to forget about that last fight. I want to move forward and put on exciting fights.”

For more on UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC Fight Night 74 results: Patrick Cote flattens, then finishes, Josh Burkman for first time ever

Patrick Cote finished Josh Burkman in the third round of their highly-entertaining Welterweight battle at UFC Fight Night 74 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, earlier tonight (Sun., Aug. 23, 2015) read news >>

Can Max Holloway Join the Featherweight Elite?

Max Holloway has quietly built a reputation as one of the more exciting featherweight fighters in the UFC, but is he destined to become one of the elite? read news >>

Protect ya neck, Do Bronx is coming

Charles Oliveira makes the UFC more exciting. And “Do Bronx” has been doing it since his debut on August 1st, 2010. After only 41 seconds inside the Octagon, the then 20-year-old from Sao Paulo, read news >>

Johny Hendricks doesn't care what Georges St-Pierre thinks, doesn't think Carlos Condit is exciting, either

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/7/26/9039039/johny-hendricks-ufc-194-still-hoping-theres-chance-robbie-lawler Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Welterweight champion, Johny Hendricks, was amon read news >>

Video: 'Cowboy' Cerrone knows one way UFC title rematch with dos Anjos will be different

Donald Cerrone hasn’t lost in nearly two years, and it’s a setback that will be brought up many times in the next four months. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Retired striking coach Matt Pena talks about building Robbie Lawler into a UFC champion

Perhaps lost in the shuffle of the massive UFC 189 event was the retirement of Robbie Lawler's striking coach Matt Pena, who had cornered "Ruthless" for his last 26 professional bouts. Pena recently read news >>

'McGregorMania' Reaches New Heights with Nutty Bettings Odds for Jose Aldo Fight

The entire MMA universe seems to have lost its mind over the upcoming UFC featherweight title unification bout between Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor. Promoters have become fans. Fans have become zealo read news >>

Opinion: Sara McMann is as important as ever for Women's MMA despite her Nashville loss

Sara McMann may have lost her fight with Amanda Nunes at UFN in Nashville, but the divisional war still needs her if it hopes to remain coherent. Three years ago, Invicta decided to put Shayna Baszle read news >>

UFC 191 free video: Demetrious Johnson vs John Dodson full fight

Exciting Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Flyweight stars Demetrious Johnson (22-2-1) and John Dodson (17-6) will look to outdo themselves after previously participating in one of the best back-a read news >>

From bad decisions to justifiable stoppages, seven thoughts on UFC Fight Night 73

Beneil Dariush got a gift decision, while Glover Teixeira proves that he can still identify and exploit an opponent’s weaknesses with the best. Plus five other scattered thoughts after UFC Fight Nigh read news >>