UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is in jeopardy of being stripped of his title if he’s unable to return in early 2014.  Consecutive knee surgeries have sidelined the titleholder since for nearly two years.

While Cruz recovers, the UFC crowned an interim bantamweight champion, Renan Barao, that defended his title for the second time at UFC 165: Jones vs. Gustafsson on Saturday.

A unification bout is expected between Cruz and Barao early next year, but Cruz could have taken an easier route in his return.  He could have opted for a warm-up fight and given up the title.  After all, returning to fighting after more than two years on the shelf is already an uphill battle.

But Cruz has no intentions of giving up his belt and isn’t interested in a warm-up fight.  He questions whether or not there even is one in the stacked 135-pound division.

“Tell me who is a warm-up fight in the 135-pound division?” he asked during the UFC 165 Post Show on Fox Sports 2.

“I’ve always said I wanted to fight the best guy when I come back.  I’m not lying about that.  When I come back I wanted to fight the guy that’s number one, the best in the world in the division,” he added.

Cruz won the title in March 2010 by defeating Brian Bowles.  He’s on a ten-fight winning streak and doesn’t want to have to work his way back up to the top of the division that he’s already conquered.

“There is no warm-up fight.  Everybody in the division is tough.  Everybody in there has a threat,” he said.

“The difference is, I earned the title.  I earned that position in a line of great athletes, and I want that shot to fight the best guy in the world.  I don’t want to come back and go to the back of the line and have to work up,” Cruz explained.  “I want to fight the best to prove that I belong here and why I have the title.  Why I’m the best 135-pounder in the world.”

Sitting in a studio or cage-side watching the division where he holds the title move on without him hasn’t been easy for the 28-year-old athlete.

“There’s nothing I can do right now, and that’s frustrating for me.  It has nothing to do with being mad at anybody.  I’m not mad at Renan.  I’m not mad at anybody.  What I’m mad at is I can’t go in there and do what I want to do now, right now,” said Cruz.

UFC president Dana White recently stated that if Cruz was unable to return to action by the beginning of 2014 that the organization would likely strip him of the title.  Cruz understands why the UFC would take that action, but fully expects to be completely healthy by the early 2014 expiration date.

“The boss has spoken, has he not?  So the bottom line is he says I need to be ready by the first of the year.  That means I better be ready by the first of the year or they take the belt and Barao fights somebody else for the real title, not the interim title.  I get it,” said Cruz. “My thing is, I’m on track to be back by the beginning of the year.  That’s my goal.

“This doctor is going to clear me.  And when this doctor clears me, I’m going to be able to train full-time.  When I train full-time, I’m looking to be back at the beginning of this year.  I’m putting everything in my life on hold to come back and fight the best 135-pound interim champion in the world.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Why Mark Munoz is walking away from fighting before reaching his ultimate goal (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Munoz isn't walking away on top, but he's doing it on his terms and for the right reason. read news >>

Bellator champ Brandon Halsey's simple goal? To be the best fighter on the planet

With just eight professional contests to his name, Bellator MMA middleweight champion Brandon Halsey’s goal is simple: become the best fighter on the planet.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Alistair Overeem still hoping for Junior Dos Santos, expects next assignment to come any day

Alistair Overeem is a busy, busy man, so to say he's waiting for the phone to ring wouldn't exactly be fair. That said, he is looking forward to receiving his next assignment from the UFC, and he's h read news >>

Video: Watch Frankie Edgar's buzzer-beater over Cub Swanson in 2014

Sure, UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson recently set an unbreakable record for a buzzer-beating submission. But before him, Frankie Edgar’s name was in the record book.Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

UFC Fight Night 65 Stipe Miocic vs Mark Hunt full fight video preview

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) expects heavyweight fists to fly during its upcoming UFC Fight Night 65 mixed martial arts (MMA) main event "Down Under," scheduled for later tonight (Sat., May 9 read news >>

Ben Nguyen: Not Your Typical UFC Debut Story

If you never heard of Ben Nguyen before March 8, 2014, you probably didn’t think that his fight against Julian Rabaud was going to go too well for him. Now tattoos never won a fight, but you figure t read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson: Early Head-to-Toe Breakdown

Maybe you're the type who actually prefers this fight over the one that was supposed to be. Maybe you didn't want to see the pound-for-pound king try to get past who is, for all intents and purposes, read news >>

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao live stream online

Watch Mayweather vs. Pacquiao live stream online on MMA Fighting, starting at 8 p.m. ET for early action and the pre-fight show from Las Vegas.Floyd Mayweather will try to improve his record to 47-0 read news >>

Warning: Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather fight might start early tonight on PPV

Executives from both pay-per-view (PPV) providers, HBO and Showtime, are a bit concerned heading into the historic broadcast later this evening (Sat., May 2, 2015) inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in La read news >>

Buy early! Pacquiao vs Mayweather PPV start time set for 9 p.m. ET tonight

Get in real early, stay super late. Even though the Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao pay-per-view (PPV) event will cost boxing fans almost a whopping $100 per pop tonight (Sat., May 2, 2015), expe read news >>