UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is in jeopardy of being stripped of his title if he’s unable to return in early 2014.  Consecutive knee surgeries have sidelined the titleholder since for nearly two years.

While Cruz recovers, the UFC crowned an interim bantamweight champion, Renan Barao, that defended his title for the second time at UFC 165: Jones vs. Gustafsson on Saturday.

A unification bout is expected between Cruz and Barao early next year, but Cruz could have taken an easier route in his return.  He could have opted for a warm-up fight and given up the title.  After all, returning to fighting after more than two years on the shelf is already an uphill battle.

But Cruz has no intentions of giving up his belt and isn’t interested in a warm-up fight.  He questions whether or not there even is one in the stacked 135-pound division.

“Tell me who is a warm-up fight in the 135-pound division?” he asked during the UFC 165 Post Show on Fox Sports 2.

“I’ve always said I wanted to fight the best guy when I come back.  I’m not lying about that.  When I come back I wanted to fight the guy that’s number one, the best in the world in the division,” he added.

Cruz won the title in March 2010 by defeating Brian Bowles.  He’s on a ten-fight winning streak and doesn’t want to have to work his way back up to the top of the division that he’s already conquered.

“There is no warm-up fight.  Everybody in the division is tough.  Everybody in there has a threat,” he said.

“The difference is, I earned the title.  I earned that position in a line of great athletes, and I want that shot to fight the best guy in the world.  I don’t want to come back and go to the back of the line and have to work up,” Cruz explained.  “I want to fight the best to prove that I belong here and why I have the title.  Why I’m the best 135-pounder in the world.”

Sitting in a studio or cage-side watching the division where he holds the title move on without him hasn’t been easy for the 28-year-old athlete.

“There’s nothing I can do right now, and that’s frustrating for me.  It has nothing to do with being mad at anybody.  I’m not mad at Renan.  I’m not mad at anybody.  What I’m mad at is I can’t go in there and do what I want to do now, right now,” said Cruz.

UFC president Dana White recently stated that if Cruz was unable to return to action by the beginning of 2014 that the organization would likely strip him of the title.  Cruz understands why the UFC would take that action, but fully expects to be completely healthy by the early 2014 expiration date.

“The boss has spoken, has he not?  So the bottom line is he says I need to be ready by the first of the year.  That means I better be ready by the first of the year or they take the belt and Barao fights somebody else for the real title, not the interim title.  I get it,” said Cruz. “My thing is, I’m on track to be back by the beginning of the year.  That’s my goal.

“This doctor is going to clear me.  And when this doctor clears me, I’m going to be able to train full-time.  When I train full-time, I’m looking to be back at the beginning of this year.  I’m putting everything in my life on hold to come back and fight the best 135-pound interim champion in the world.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

In a UFC-USADA world, where do state athletic commissions come into play?

In early June, the UFC announced it had partnered with the United States Anti-Doping Agency to institute a robust year-round drug-testing program. But what does that mean for the state athletic commi read news >>

UFC 189: Early Predictions for Mendes vs. McGregor Main Event

UFC 189's main event of Chad Mendes and Conor McGregor isn't the featherweight title fight fans thought they'd be seeing, but it's one of the best consolation prizes the organization could have offer read news >>

Dana White expects UFC 189 to set U.S. gate record with $7 million in ticket sales on July 11

"Notorious" power? No Jose Aldo? No problem!. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) president Dana White is still very confident that the upcoming UFC 189 pay-per-view (PPV) event set for July 11, 201 read news >>

Frankie Edgar: Conor McGregor vs Chad Mendes is a No. 1 contender fight, not a title bout

"Early on when I heard that [Jose Aldo] was injured we threw our hat in and said, you know, we would be willing to step in. [The UFC] decided to go with Chad [Mendes] for that role. I think the expla read news >>

Rony Jason to take legal action against CABMMA if failed drug test is overturned

Ultimate Fighting Championship featherweight Rony Jason expects to sue the Brazilian Athletic Commission (CABMMA) if his failed drug test at UFC Fight Night 67 is reverted by Las Vegas doctors. Forme read news >>

Resurrection Fighting Alliance 27: Scott Thometz puts Daniel Swain into dreamland

Scott Thometz landed an absolutely brutal right hook on Daniel Swain early into the first round (30 seconds) of their Resurrection Fighting Alliance match that put the 24-year-old cleanly out. The re read news >>

UFC Strawweight Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk Gets Thumb Surgery, Expects 2015 Return

Joanna Jedrzejczyk, the UFC women's strawweight champion and maybe the most exciting fighter to break onto the big stage this year, underwent thumb surgery on Friday. The news came early on Friday in read news >>

Despite loss of Aldo vs McGregor, Dana White expects record-setting $7M gate for UFC 189

UFC 189 might have lost it's big headliner, but will still be the most profitable live event on US soil in promotion history, according to the UFC president. When it comes to promoting and marketing read news >>

Nick Diaz's lawyer not as confident about settlement, expects to present case to NAC in August or September

Nick Diaz's attorney is not nearly as optimistic about a settlement with the Nevada Athletic Commission as he was just six weeks ago. Lucas Middlebrook told MMAFighting.com in May that he was in disc read news >>

UFC's Reebok Era Begins in a Comedy of Errors

When I first began reporting on the February 2014 story that would eventually break the news that the UFC was working on creating a uniform for its fighters, I felt optimistic about the deal. I talke read news >>