UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is in jeopardy of being stripped of his title if he’s unable to return in early 2014.  Consecutive knee surgeries have sidelined the titleholder since for nearly two years.

While Cruz recovers, the UFC crowned an interim bantamweight champion, Renan Barao, that defended his title for the second time at UFC 165: Jones vs. Gustafsson on Saturday.

A unification bout is expected between Cruz and Barao early next year, but Cruz could have taken an easier route in his return.  He could have opted for a warm-up fight and given up the title.  After all, returning to fighting after more than two years on the shelf is already an uphill battle.

But Cruz has no intentions of giving up his belt and isn’t interested in a warm-up fight.  He questions whether or not there even is one in the stacked 135-pound division.

“Tell me who is a warm-up fight in the 135-pound division?” he asked during the UFC 165 Post Show on Fox Sports 2.

“I’ve always said I wanted to fight the best guy when I come back.  I’m not lying about that.  When I come back I wanted to fight the guy that’s number one, the best in the world in the division,” he added.

Cruz won the title in March 2010 by defeating Brian Bowles.  He’s on a ten-fight winning streak and doesn’t want to have to work his way back up to the top of the division that he’s already conquered.

“There is no warm-up fight.  Everybody in the division is tough.  Everybody in there has a threat,” he said.

“The difference is, I earned the title.  I earned that position in a line of great athletes, and I want that shot to fight the best guy in the world.  I don’t want to come back and go to the back of the line and have to work up,” Cruz explained.  “I want to fight the best to prove that I belong here and why I have the title.  Why I’m the best 135-pounder in the world.”

Sitting in a studio or cage-side watching the division where he holds the title move on without him hasn’t been easy for the 28-year-old athlete.

“There’s nothing I can do right now, and that’s frustrating for me.  It has nothing to do with being mad at anybody.  I’m not mad at Renan.  I’m not mad at anybody.  What I’m mad at is I can’t go in there and do what I want to do now, right now,” said Cruz.

UFC president Dana White recently stated that if Cruz was unable to return to action by the beginning of 2014 that the organization would likely strip him of the title.  Cruz understands why the UFC would take that action, but fully expects to be completely healthy by the early 2014 expiration date.

“The boss has spoken, has he not?  So the bottom line is he says I need to be ready by the first of the year.  That means I better be ready by the first of the year or they take the belt and Barao fights somebody else for the real title, not the interim title.  I get it,” said Cruz. “My thing is, I’m on track to be back by the beginning of the year.  That’s my goal.

“This doctor is going to clear me.  And when this doctor clears me, I’m going to be able to train full-time.  When I train full-time, I’m looking to be back at the beginning of this year.  I’m putting everything in my life on hold to come back and fight the best 135-pound interim champion in the world.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

UFC 191's Demetrious Johnson's 'ultimate goal' is record-setting 11 UFC title defenses

Only five more to go ... There have been plenty of greats to etch their names into the Ultimate Fighting Championship's (UFC) record book such as Anderson Silva and Jon Jones. Now Flyweight champion read news >>

After failed 'TUF' bid, Leandro Higo ready to 'get people's attention,' says 'Pitbull'

Leandro Higo was considered an early favorite on “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 4,” but a loss and an injury resulted in a disappointing effort. Tonight, he tries again.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, New read news >>

Fedor Emlianenko, Kazushi Sakuraba and Frank Shamrock all headed to Bellator Fan Fest

Three of the biggest stars of the early days of mixed martial arts will be part of the promotion for Bellator's next tentpole event on Sept. 19 in San Jose. Bellator head Scott Coker confirmed that F read news >>

Demian Maia has 'goal' to earn most submission wins in UFC history

Demian Maia has the fourth most submission wins in UFC history. He wants to top the list when all is said and done.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Claudia Gadelha eyes early 2016 return, vows to 'run through' Joanna Jedrzejczyk

Claudia Gadelha earned a shot at the UFC title with a win over Jessica Aguilar, and she hopes to be back inside the Octagon early next year. The Nova Uniao strawweight, who lost to Joanna Jedrzejczyk read news >>

Goal-oriented Vitor Belfort wants another title shot after he beats Dan Henderson or he could be 'out'

Vitor Belfort, 38, isn't getting any younger. And that means he wants to see if he can accomplish his goals in mixed martial arts (MMA) without having to wait. The hard-hitting Ultimate Fighting Cham read news >>

Dustin Poirier's Education through Fire

His ultimate goal is to become a UFC champion, and he’s determined to do whatever it takes to make that happen. read news >>

Jacare open to UFC title fight at 205 pounds, expects fight against Romero next

UFC middleweight contender Ronaldo Souza is confident that he will soon hold a UFC belt, regardless of the weight class. Currently riding an eight-fight winning streak, Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza might o read news >>

‘Jacare’ Souza expects Yoel Romero next, but would face anyone at 185 or 205: ‘I’ll be the UFC champion’

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Ronaldo Souza vs. Yoel Romero was booked for UFC 184 and UFC on FOX 15, but fell through both times due to multiple injuries. The promotion didn’t announce the next move for the pai read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 results: Dustin Ortiz pounds out Willie Gates in third

NASHVILLE – Early on, Tennessee native Dustin Ortiz made it clear what he thought about Willie Gates’ ground game, which wasn’t much.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>