With the 15th season of “The Ultimate Fighter” set to debut Friday on FX, there’s no love lost between coaches Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber.

Faber dropped a unanimous decision to Cruz last July, but during a recent appearance on HDNet’s “Inside MMA,” Faber was quick to remind the UFC bantamweight champion that he submitted him with a guillotine choke back in 2007.

“He’s alive right now because there’s rules in MMA, and I had to release his neck and let him breathe,” Faber said. “So you're welcome, Dominick Cruz, for giving you life and letting you live. Next time I'm going to do the same thing. I'm going to let you live, but it's going to be painful.”

Naturally, Cruz didn’t appreciate Faber’s comments.

“He can say whatever he wants, but he’s just saying ignorant things because I get under his skin,” Cruz told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He starts trying to go for the jugular, but that was one of the dumbest things he could have said because he’s been allowed to live several times. Tyson Griffin let him live. Mike Brown let him live. Jose Aldo chopped his leg off, so I’d be fighting him with no leg right now. He’s just saying stupid things to try to hype things up. It just makes no sense.”

The Griffin loss was Faber’s first in MMA. It took place about a year and a half before he beat Cruz.

“If there weren’t rules in MMA, back in 2005, Tyson Griffin put him to sleep with a knockout and he would have finished him right then and there, and I would have never fought Urijah Faber,” Cruz said. “There would have never been a rivalry. There would have never been nothing. This is a sport. This isn’t a death match. If it’s a death match, I’ll grab a pitchfork and stab him through his chest. It’s not a death match, man. … It’s a sport. It’s a sporting event.”

Faber has said Cruz is a good fighter. However, he believes the champion focuses on scoring points and doesn’t pose any real danger in the Octagon.

“He caught me in a submission in 2007. He beat me. I never made one excuse for it,” Cruz said. “I go and I beat him, and he has nothing but excuses. It’s a sport. You can win by points or you can win by finish. I did not finish him. I beat him by keeping him going backwards the entire fight, landing more punches than him and getting more takedowns than him. Yes, it’s hard to finish him. He’s one of the best fighters on the planet and so am I. He didn’t finish me either.”

Cruz expects a decisive finale, though, when they meet a third time on July 7 at UFC 148.

“I’m going to put a whooping on him, and this time I’m going to finish him,” he said. “I’m tired of hearing him run his mouth with that big chin of his.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 47:00).

Urijah Faber hopes rib injury wouldn't delay Dominick Cruz title fight

BOSTON – Although the stars seem to be aligning for a potential rubber match between new UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz and rival Urijah Faber, one possible hiccup awaits.Filed under: News, read news >>

Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz have exchanged trash-talk by phone for years

Urijah Faber may have lost six consecutive title bouts, but that isn’t stopping him from thinking he’s in position to challenge newly crowned UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz.Filed under: Feat read news >>

It’s Time to Book Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber for a Rubber Match

For Dominick Cruz, Urijah Faber is next logical fight and it's silly to think otherwise. read news >>

TJ Dillashaw Talks Dominick Cruz Rematch, Potential Urijah Faber UFC Title Shot

T.J. Dillashaw has admitted he would be "sick to his stomach" if Urijah Faber is granted a shot at the UFC bantamweight title ahead of him earning a rematch with Dominick Cruz. Per Shaun Al-Shatti of read news >>

TJ Dillashaw or Urijah Faber: Who Should Dominick Cruz Fight Next?

Dominick Cruz and TJ Dillashaw battled for five rounds in a UFC bantamweight classic in January. It marked Cruz’s return after another major knee injury, and he took back his spot on the throne of th read news >>

Champ Dominick Cruz ready to 'gift' Urijah Faber title shot: 'I'm all he's got left'

Newly crowned UFC bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz said he’s ready to put his rivalry with Urijah Faber to bed nearly a decade after it first began.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Urijah Faber: The only reason Dominick Cruz is alive is we have rules in MMA

• a day ago

Former WEC champ Urijah Faber is firing back at Dominick Cruz after the UFC bantamweight champ offered to “gift” him a title shot.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Urijah Faber Wants to be the One to Break Glass Joe… Err, Dominick Cruz

• 23 hours ago

Urijah Faber seems to think he's the man to expose Dominick Cruz as the live version of Punch-Out's Glass Joe! read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux's new style? 'People running into my punches'

LAS VEGAS – After an August 2015 loss to former title challenger Glover Teixeira, Ovince Saint Preux decided to take some time off and work on his fighting style.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 salaries: Browne ($120K), Cruz ($110K) earn top payouts

Co-main-event winner Travis Browne and main-event victor Dominick Cruz earned the largest disclosed paydays at this past month’s UFC Fight Night 81 event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>