With the 15th season of “The Ultimate Fighter” set to debut Friday on FX, there’s no love lost between coaches Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber.

Faber dropped a unanimous decision to Cruz last July, but during a recent appearance on HDNet’s “Inside MMA,” Faber was quick to remind the UFC bantamweight champion that he submitted him with a guillotine choke back in 2007.

“He’s alive right now because there’s rules in MMA, and I had to release his neck and let him breathe,” Faber said. “So you're welcome, Dominick Cruz, for giving you life and letting you live. Next time I'm going to do the same thing. I'm going to let you live, but it's going to be painful.”

Naturally, Cruz didn’t appreciate Faber’s comments.

“He can say whatever he wants, but he’s just saying ignorant things because I get under his skin,” Cruz told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He starts trying to go for the jugular, but that was one of the dumbest things he could have said because he’s been allowed to live several times. Tyson Griffin let him live. Mike Brown let him live. Jose Aldo chopped his leg off, so I’d be fighting him with no leg right now. He’s just saying stupid things to try to hype things up. It just makes no sense.”

The Griffin loss was Faber’s first in MMA. It took place about a year and a half before he beat Cruz.

“If there weren’t rules in MMA, back in 2005, Tyson Griffin put him to sleep with a knockout and he would have finished him right then and there, and I would have never fought Urijah Faber,” Cruz said. “There would have never been a rivalry. There would have never been nothing. This is a sport. This isn’t a death match. If it’s a death match, I’ll grab a pitchfork and stab him through his chest. It’s not a death match, man. … It’s a sport. It’s a sporting event.”

Faber has said Cruz is a good fighter. However, he believes the champion focuses on scoring points and doesn’t pose any real danger in the Octagon.

“He caught me in a submission in 2007. He beat me. I never made one excuse for it,” Cruz said. “I go and I beat him, and he has nothing but excuses. It’s a sport. You can win by points or you can win by finish. I did not finish him. I beat him by keeping him going backwards the entire fight, landing more punches than him and getting more takedowns than him. Yes, it’s hard to finish him. He’s one of the best fighters on the planet and so am I. He didn’t finish me either.”

Cruz expects a decisive finale, though, when they meet a third time on July 7 at UFC 148.

“I’m going to put a whooping on him, and this time I’m going to finish him,” he said. “I’m tired of hearing him run his mouth with that big chin of his.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 47:00).

Who is Next for Dominick Cruz? Dana White Weighs In | MMAWeekly.com

Bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz defended his title in June at UFC 199. His next title defense is in the works, but whom he’ll face is still in question. read news >>

John Lineker wants Dominick Cruz after beating John Dodson | UFC Fight Night

Hear from John Lineker following his win over John Dodson at UFC Fight Night in Portland, Oregon. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96 winner John Lineker: 'Small mistake' of missing weight shouldn't cost me Dominick Cruz fight

PORTLAND, Ore. – John Lineker doesn’t believe missing weight for the fifth time in his UFC career should hold him back in the bantamweight title picture after he bested John Dodson by split decision. read news >>

TJ Dillashaw slams Dominick Cruz for ducking and running from him

TJ Dillashaw erupts when talking about Dominick Cruz read news >>

Dominick Cruz explains how he would beat Conor McGregor

Dominick Cruz is confident he could beat Conor McGregor read news >>

Dominick Cruz Would Fight Conor McGregor at 145 or Even 155 Pounds (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz isn't going to call out Conor McGregor, but he's willing to fight him at 145 or even 155 pounds. read news >>

Urijah Faber faces Brad Pickett at UFC on FOX 22 in December

“The California Kid” will fight at home this December. UFC officials today announced that Urijah Faber will face fellow veteran bantamweight Brad Pickett at UFC on FOX 22.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Urijah Faber vs. Brad Pickett at UFC on FOX 22

A UFC fight card in Sacramento, California just wouldn't be right without Urijah Faber as he'll be facing Brad Pickett at UFC on FOX 22.With UFC Sacramento going down in December, the card read news >>

Urijah Faber Isn't Done Yet, Books Next UFC Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Although retirement rumors have swirled around Urijah Faber after each of his last several bouts, he's already booked his next fight. read news >>

UFC Sacramento: Urijah Faber Gets Hometown Fight Against Brad Pickett

UFC Sacramento was not going to be complete until the card added the town's MMA legend Urijah Faber. Now he is on the card against Brad Pickett.The UFC officially announced the contest on their read news >>