Dominick Cruz: I’m Tired of Urijah Faber Running His Mouth

• submit to reddit

With the 15th season of “The Ultimate Fighter” set to debut Friday on FX, there’s no love lost between coaches Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber.

Faber dropped a unanimous decision to Cruz last July, but during a recent appearance on HDNet’s “Inside MMA,” Faber was quick to remind the UFC bantamweight champion that he submitted him with a guillotine choke back in 2007.

“He’s alive right now because there’s rules in MMA, and I had to release his neck and let him breathe,” Faber said. “So you're welcome, Dominick Cruz, for giving you life and letting you live. Next time I'm going to do the same thing. I'm going to let you live, but it's going to be painful.”

Naturally, Cruz didn’t appreciate Faber’s comments.

“He can say whatever he wants, but he’s just saying ignorant things because I get under his skin,” Cruz told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He starts trying to go for the jugular, but that was one of the dumbest things he could have said because he’s been allowed to live several times. Tyson Griffin let him live. Mike Brown let him live. Jose Aldo chopped his leg off, so I’d be fighting him with no leg right now. He’s just saying stupid things to try to hype things up. It just makes no sense.”

The Griffin loss was Faber’s first in MMA. It took place about a year and a half before he beat Cruz.

“If there weren’t rules in MMA, back in 2005, Tyson Griffin put him to sleep with a knockout and he would have finished him right then and there, and I would have never fought Urijah Faber,” Cruz said. “There would have never been a rivalry. There would have never been nothing. This is a sport. This isn’t a death match. If it’s a death match, I’ll grab a pitchfork and stab him through his chest. It’s not a death match, man. … It’s a sport. It’s a sporting event.”

Faber has said Cruz is a good fighter. However, he believes the champion focuses on scoring points and doesn’t pose any real danger in the Octagon.

“He caught me in a submission in 2007. He beat me. I never made one excuse for it,” Cruz said. “I go and I beat him, and he has nothing but excuses. It’s a sport. You can win by points or you can win by finish. I did not finish him. I beat him by keeping him going backwards the entire fight, landing more punches than him and getting more takedowns than him. Yes, it’s hard to finish him. He’s one of the best fighters on the planet and so am I. He didn’t finish me either.”

Cruz expects a decisive finale, though, when they meet a third time on July 7 at UFC 148.

“I’m going to put a whooping on him, and this time I’m going to finish him,” he said. “I’m tired of hearing him run his mouth with that big chin of his.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 47:00).

Between Urijah Faber and his sister Michaella being in the extended video and Justin Scoggins singing and bopping his way to the Octagon as it echoed through the American Airlines Center in Dallas... more

After losing his sixth straight title bid at UFC 169, Urijah Faber will look to start a new win streak against Alex Caceres at this Saturday night's (July 5, 2014) UFC 175 from Las Vegas. Does "Bruce Leeroy" have any chance of knocking off "The California Kid?" Read our fight preview to find out! Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweights Urijah Faber and Alex Caceres will square off in the headlining preliminary card bout of UFC 175 this Saturday night (July 5, 2014), airing live on FOX more

Former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber discussed his position on the UFC 175 fight card, which he considers to be a smart decision for more exposure. Urijah Faber is not concerned with being placed on the preliminary portion of the UFC 175 fight card. In fact, he believes the UFC's decision to place him there "makes a little more sense." The former WEC Featherweight champion indirectly caused a wave of frustration from fans and pundits alike when it was announced that he would be headlin more

While Duane Ludwig was originally expected to depart Team Alpha Male earlier this year to start his own facility in Colorado, Urijah Faber revealed that "Bang" is still doing work every day in Sacramento, Calif., despite their rift over money. more

UFC bantamweight competitor Urijah Faber spoke with MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani and explained why Duane Ludwig doesn't corner him during his fights. more

LAS VEGAS -- UFC bantamweight Urijah Faber spoke to the media Thursday at the UFC 175 media day, opening up about facing Alex Caceres on the preliminary card on Fox Sports 1, his rift with Duane Ludwig, what happened to Chael Sonnen and more. more

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog more

LAS VEGAS – Former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber is a massive favorite over Alex Caceres at this weekend’s UFC 175 event, but “The California Kid” said he never concerned himself with how little he stands to gain with a win.Filed under: (...) more

And it's all thanks to the "cheapskates" who don't but the events, according to "The California Kid." If you thought Urijah Faber was upset that he was relegated to the prelims and denied a spot on the main card of this weekend's (Sat., July 5, 2014) UFC 175 pay-per-view (PPV) event, you're sadly mistaken. In fact, "The California Kid" asked to headline the preliminary card -- which airs on FOX Sports 1 -- opposite Alex Caceres. Why? Because more people will tune in to watch his free fight as op more