Dominick Cruz ‘Far From Being Cleared’ to Train, But Staying Active


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is not enjoying his time on the sidelines after undergoing a second surgery on his ACL in late November.

“This is one of the toughest things I’ve had to do because I am a big competitor,” Cruz told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show on Feb. 18. “I miss competing. I haven’t been able to do it in a while and it hurts. But there’s nothing I can really do except sit on my hands and wait for this knee. I know it’s going to be fine. I know I’m going to heal OK. I know I’m going to be in there. I just have to do my time and wait, and that’s the hardest part. I don’t have a whole lot of patience.”

Cruz has not fought since he defended his title against Demetrious Johnson in October 2011. He tore his ACL while training for a third bout against Urijah Faber that was scheduled for UFC 148 on July 2, 2012. However, Cruz actually traces his knee issues all the way back to the WEC, when he fought Charlie Valencia on a torn MCL.

“I think that first injury gave my knee a little leeway, and over time … [it caused] my ACL to take more weight than it needed to because my MCL was a little loose,” Cruz said. “Over years and years of just training and doing what I do, it finally just had enough in a tough training accident.”

Cruz had his ACL replaced last June, but his body rejected it, making the second surgery necessary. With his return to the Octagon pushed back even further, the champion has been forced to adapt accordingly.

“It’s absolutely matured me a lot,” Cruz said. “In essence, I’ve had to find a whole different way of living. I lived a lifestyle where I just trained twice a day every day, and that’s all I wanted to do and that’s all I was ever going to do because I had to win and stay champion forever. That was my mindset. When you get an injury like this, you literally have to rewrite your whole plan from scratch. You’ve got to start over. I’ve had to start over and honestly live life a whole lot different this past year and a half and deal with things differently. A lot of how I’d deal with things in the past has been exercise. Any problem I’d have, I’d just go exercise and I’m fine. I haven’t had that option.”

At this point, Cruz isn’t even allowed to train.

“I’m so far from being cleared,” he said. “I go see the doctor again and they just cleared me to start running. I’m just running -- that’s it. I can’t grapple, I can’t kickbox, I can’t box or anything like that yet. I’ve just got to build my body up slowly.”

That doesn’t mean Cruz is just sitting around, though. He’s doing whatever he can in anticipation of a return.

“The way people are picturing it, I have a feeling, is I’m going to be completely out of the gym, not doing anything and then all of a sudden I’m hopping into a camp,” Cruz said. “I don’t operate that way. I’ve never operated that way. I would almost put money on it that I’m in better shape than a lot of people that are active fighters right now. I’m very active. I’m still doing tons of bike work. I’m still doing tons of upper body strength work. I’m working on everything I can around this knee, including working that knee and the muscles around that leg in order to come back as strong as ever.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:50:35).

view original article >>

Related News

  • 27 days ago
  • 53 views

"The Dominator" looks to begin his road back to the title this fall. Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz looks to finally make his long-awaited return to the Octagon this September, after sitting on the sidelines for nearly three years due to recurring problems with his injured ACL. And "The Dominator" already has someone in his sights, as he looks to tango against former World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) stablemate, Takeya Mizugaki. Eric Del Fierro, Cr more

  • 27 days ago
  • 37 views

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is antivcipating an August return to the octagon and likes a potential match-up against Takeya Mizugaki. Dominick Cruz is eyeing a potential return to the octagon as early as August. The former WEC and UFC bantamweight champion, who has been on a forced hiatus due to several ACL injuries, believes he could be ready to return to the octagon by UFC 177 on August 30. Cruz's coach Eric Del Fierro informed UFC Tonight's Ariel Helwani that "The Dominator" more

  • 28 days ago
  • 48 views

For Dominick Cruz, a long and often frustrating three-year wait may finally be at an end. According to Eric del Fierro, Cruz's head coach at Alliance MMA, the snakebitten former UFC bantamweight champion will be fully recovered from injury and ready to fight by August 30, 2014 at UFC 177, if the UFC's requires his services for the pay-per-view card -- although del Fierro noted that a September booking would be preferable. MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported the news on Wednesday's edition o more

  • 28 days ago
  • 47 views

Dominick Cruz’s extended hiatus could finally be reaching its end. more

  • 15 days ago
  • 43 views

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is set to return to the cage after nearly three years on the shelf. more

  • 15 days ago
  • 36 views

We’ll try this one more time. It will be just shy of three years to the day, but Dominick Cruz once again has a date mapped out for his return. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

  • 15 days ago
  • 33 views

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz will get a meaningful fight in his long-awaited return to action. Cruz, who has been sidelined by injuries for the past two-and-a-half years, will meet veteran Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 178 on Sept. 27 in Las Vegas. ESPN.com reported the bout on Tuesday. The San Diego-based fighter was world bantamweight champion dating back to winning the WEC title from Brian Bowles on March 6, 2010, in Columbus, Ohio. A successful defense against Scott Jorgensen on t more

  • 15 days ago
  • 26 views

Welcome back, Dominick Cruz. The former UFC bantamweight champion Cruz has been out of action since the fall of 2011, but he will make his return to the Octagon nearly three years later at UFC 178. Cruz teased his fight earlier in the day prior to the revelation of who his opponent would be. Cruz confirmed his return bout to ESPN on Tuesday evening, and he will go opposite No. 5-ranked Takeya Mizugaki. Mizugaki has been on a roll in recent fights. The former WEC title contender has reeled off fi more

  • 15 days ago
  • 68 views

Dominick Cruz's first fight in nearly 3 full years is official for UFC 178 in Las Vegas. The last time Dominick Cruz fought in the UFC, the promotion had ongoing contracts with Versus and Spike TV, the flyweight division didn't exist, and Jon Jones was a week removed from his first title defense. After a series of injuries forced Cruz to vacate his bantamweight belt, the former champion is set to make his comeback on September 27th. ESPN's Brett Okamoto confirmed that Cruz will fight top 10 rank more