Disappointed Luke Rockhold targets quick return following UFC on FX 8 defeat

• submit to reddit

luke-rockhold-11.jpgJARAGUA DO SUL, Brazil – Prior to Saturday night, Luke Rockhold (10-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) hadn’t lost in the past five-and-a-half years. After suffering a first-round TKO loss to Vitor Belfort (23-10 MMA, 12-6 UFC), he’s anxious to erase that feeling from his mind.

“It doesn’t feel good,” Rockhold said. “I haven’t lost in a long time. I don’t like losing.

“I train to win, and I came to win. It definitely doesn’t feel good.”

Rockhold and Belfort faced off in the main event of Saturday’s UFC on FX 8 card, which took place at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. Rockhold was making his UFC debut and hoped to make a statement against MMA legend Belfort, who boasts a near-17-year history in the sport and is a former UFC champion.

After a brief feeling-out process, a patient Belfort unleashed a pinpoint spinning wheel kick that landed flush to the face and sent Rockhold toppling to the floor. Belfort seized the opportunity and swarmed with punches until the fight was waved off at the 2:32 mark of the opening round.

Rockhold said he wasn’t exactly sure how it all went wrong.

“I mean it’s hard to say what went wrong,” Rockhold told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I was feeling good. I was finding my timing. I felt like I was controlling things, and then he landed a spinning heel kick to my head.”

Rockhold and Belfort had endured a spirited build-up to the fight with the former Strikeforce champ openly questioning the legitimacy of the Brazilian’s commission-approved use of testosterone-replacement therapy.

Things got more heated during fight week. A press conference staredown saw Belfort put his fist next to Rockhold’s chin. Rockhold countered at the following day’s weigh-ins by pressing into his opponent’s face, earning a shove from Belfort in the process. Despite the emotion, Rockhold said he didn’t believe he fought recklessly.

“I felt good in this fight,” Rockhold said. “I had a great camp. I felt good in the fight. I was focused. I don’t know if I got overconfident or what exactly happened. I don’t know. I thought I had it.

“I felt good. I saw his punches. I saw everything. I was landing some shots. I felt like I was starting to control things, and then I got caught. It happens.”

Rockhold offered a bit of an olive branch after the fight by crediting his opponent’s skills – and not TRT – for earning Belfort the win.

“TRT had nothing to do with that kick,” Rockhold said.

Still, he admits the sting of the loss is difficult to swallow, and he hopes to return to action as quickly as possible.

“It sucks right now,” Rockhold said. “I don’t know. I want to get back in there. I want to fight, obviously. Everyone says it, but what can you do at this point? I want to get in there. I want to fight. I want to redeem myself.”

Brazilian media members suggested a potential rematch with Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza, a fellow former Strikeforce champ who Rockhold beat in 2011. However, UFC officials tends to match fighters with similar recent results when arranging bouts.

Rockhold could have potentially earned a fight with the winner of July’s UFC middleweight title fight between champ Anderson Silva and challenger Chris Weidman, but now his next move is unclear.

Rockhold kept his head down for most of the evening’s post-event presser, and his emotion was evident. But he also seemed to deal with the reality of his position, and he said he now hopes to get back to work as quickly as possible.

“I lost to one of the best guys in the world, and it was something pretty spectacular,” Rockhold said. “I don’t know what to really think about anything right now. I just want to get back and fight and beat someone up. That’s what I’m focused on. Good job by Vitor. What can I say?”

For complete coverage of UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

It's a Chris Weidman title fight, "The Phenom" rematch or bust, for the former Strikeforce middleweight champion. Despite pleas from his teammates to move on, Luke Rockhold just can't seem to get Vitor Belfort out of his mind, 14 months after getting knocked out by "The Phenom." Time and again, Rockhold has pleaded for a do-over against the Brazilian, though not much has come of it; as Belfort has bigger fish to fry in the form of a middleweight title fight. However, there is one thing that Luke more

The week's most interesting bits from the MMA and UFC twitter world A few updates on what's been going on in the MMA & UFC Twitterverse -- There's a ton of tweets below, but first, don't forget to follow me on twitter and instagram: @antontabuena Oh, and these guys are probably worth following as well: The Official BloodyElbow Twitter Account, Kid Nate, Brent Brookhouse, Richard Wade, Chris Barton, D.E.O, Scott Broussard, Matt Bishop, Fraser Coffeen, Dallas Winston, KJ Gould, Ben Thapa, T.P. Gra more

LAS VEGAS -- Luke Zachrich talks about his emotional victory over Guilherme Vasconcelos at UFC 175, his road back to the UFC, his gameplan entering the final round, and more. more

Top-ranked middleweight contender Luke Rockhold has been cleared to resume training after recovering from a broken toe in his right foot, MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani reported on UFC Tonight. A former Strikeforce champion, Rockhold (12-2) suffered the injury midway through his dominant UFC 172 performance over Tim Boetsch, which he won in a little over two minutes via an inverted triangle/kimura. The 29-year-old AKA product is currently the No. 5 ranked middleweight in the UFC, and including more

Whew, that's a relief. Somebody call the athletic commission and tell them to wrap this thing up, we're all good on this end. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight and part-time light heavyweight, Wanderlei Silva, is either off his rocker, or privy to information the rest of the mixed martial arts (MMA) community has yet to discover. I'm not sure how else to explain his cavalier attitude toward his recent dust up with the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC). One that could see th more

• a day ago

When Chris Weidman defeated Lyoto Machida at UFC 175, it was clear that his original foe, Vitor Belfort, was next in line for a shot at the middleweight championship. For Weidman’s third defense, things aren’t as simple for the UFC as faxing out a pair of bout agreements and picking an arena, as the Brazilian’s drug testing issues aren’t completely behind him. Belfort tested positive for elevated testosterone levels in a random drug screening in Nevada back in February, and if the Nevada State A more

• 6 hours ago

And when "The Count" disposes of Cung Le, he's ready to silence the Strikeforce import. Michael Bisping: Fighter, mixed martial arts (MMA) analyst ... life coach? "The Count" was a recent guest on UFC Tonight, and had some career advice for Luke Rockhold, who is currently waiting for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) to find him an opponent. In the interim, he can probably help his own cause by ditching his teenage friends. Says Bisping: "When Luke Rockhold is done making a douche bag out of more

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey plans to take a break from fighting following her UFC 175 bout against Alexis Davis on July 5. more

Dominick Cruz’s extended hiatus could finally be reaching its end. more