Despite pre-event headaches, White changes mind, says UFC to make Boston return


dana-white-107.jpgAfter some pre-event drama in Beantown, UFC President Dana White has changed his mind and said the organization will, in fact, make a return to Boston in the future.

It’s an about-face from comments White made prior to this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 26 event, which faced a handful of headaches from outside interests.

The issues?

The first involved the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety enacting a little-used state law requiring foreign-born martial artists and boxers to have social security numbers before competing in the state. Then, Unite Here, a group representing members of the Las Vegas Culinary Union, tried to block UFC Fight Night 26 headliner Chael Sonnen from gaining a license for the event based on concerns with his “moral turpitude.” The group also successfully petitioned Boston City Council President Stephen Murphy to push for a ban would prohibit minors from attending UFC events in the state.

Even though the ban couldn’t be enacted before UFC Fight Night 26, White, who formerly lived in Boston and continues to have strong ties to the city, suggested the organization would venture to nearby Connecticut rather than return to Massachusetts for future shows.

But after a successful debut on FOX Sports 1 with one of the most entertaining cards in recent UFC history, White was in better spirits.

“First of all I love this city, it’s a great city, it’s a great sports town, and I’ve had a blast since I got here,” White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) after the event. “I just want to point one thing out. In all the things said this week leading up to this fight, I wasn’t talking about the athletic commission here. I was talking about Commissioner Murphy. That’s who I was talking about.”

Despite his longtime nemeses at the culinary union, whom White labeled “bullies,” he believes it actually benefited the event, which garnered heavy local media attention and drew an estimated 12,539 attendees and $1.53 million live gate.

“I think a lot of good came out of this,” White said. “We all know, we’ve been through this all week and talking about this, that the union came in here and got some union puppets fired up in this town, and they came after us. But when this whole thing is all resolved, I think everybody in the city of Boston, people like the athletic commission and people who are involved in combat sports here, love this event and want us to come back.”

That, apparently, made his decision easier.

“We will be back,” he said. “This was a great experience. Don’t let all the stuff that was said earlier this week make you guys think (otherwise). I love this city. This is my city. I love this city. Everything here was a huge success. It was great, and we’ll be back here.”

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 26, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 26 days ago
  • 4 views

UFC President Dana White wants to make sure that Kelvin Gastelum and John Lineker never have issues cutting weight again. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 27 views

UFC president Dana White still hasn't given up hope of a superfight between Anderson Silva and Georges St-Pierre. It seems the the elusive superfight that was never able to come together still might read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 8 views

UFC president Dana White on Wednesday said that they are targeting Jon Jones vs. Anthony Johnson for May. read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 10 views

According to UFC President Dana White, light heavyweight champ Jon Jones will likely defend his title in May against No. 1 contender Anthony Johnson.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 1812 views

UFC President Dana White may not have been in attendance for Anthony Johnson's massacre of Alexander Gustafsson this past Saturday at UFC on FOX 14, but even he can't believe the ease with which John read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 6 views

UFC president Dana White on Thursday inextricably linked Nick Diaz to the Seattle Seahawks. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 7 views

Three weeks ago, UFC president Dana White said that Anderson Silva would get a title shot with a win over Nick Diaz. Silva doesn't seem to agree. On January 7th, Dana White declared that Anderson Sil read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 3 views

Hey, remember when UFC President Dana White said Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz was a dumb idea and would never happen? We can file that away next to "pay-per-view (PPV) price hike is a one-time thing" read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 245 views

According to Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White, just because Chris Weidman won’t be fighting at UFC 184 in Los Angeles, that does not mean Vitor Belfort won’t be also. read news >>