miguel-torres-15.jpgBantamweight Miguel Torres‘ recent bust for marijuana possession hasn’t deterred his promoter’s plans for his career.

World Series of Fighting President Ray Sefo told MMAjunkie.com that Torres (40-6) will still fight Tyson Nam (12-5) “if they both want it to happen.”

Sefo discussed the plans today’s media call in advance of Friday’s WSOF 5 event in Atlantic City, N.J.

“As far as I know, Tyson definitely wants that fight,” Sefo ssaid. “So that’s a good fight. We all make mistakes, and Miguel has obviously run into a situation, and we’ll support him. He’s still fighting for World Series of Fighting.”

Torres is due in court in October to answer for a misdemeanor charge of marijuana possession, according to a rep with his management company, Authentic Sports Management. The Marshall County (Ind.) Sheriff’s Department arrest him this past month, and on the same day, Torres posted a $1,500 bond.

If convicted, the former WEC champ faces one year in prison and a maximum fine of $5,000.

Torres and Nam were on course to fight earlier this year after both were upset by hot up-and-comer Marlon Moraes. But the arrest shelved the match for WSOF 4, which took place this past month.

Nam’s trainer expressed frustration at the delay, which mirrored the fighter’s limbo following a contractual dispute with Bellator that led him to the upstart WSOF.

“We just want to fight,” said Phil Claud at Portland, Ore.’s Sports Lab. “One of the reasons we went with WSOF over Bellator was they promised to keep us active, and here we are back with long periods of inactivity. Whether it’s Tyson or any other Sports lab fighter, we just want to stay active.”

Nam most recently fought in March at WSOF 2, where he lost a decision to Moraes. The setback snapped a five-fight winning streak that culminated with a knockout of Bellator bantamweight champion Eduardo Dantas.

Torres made his WSOF debut this past November at the promotion’s first event and lost a split decision to Moraes, which brought him back-to-back losses for the first time since he lost his WEC title in 2009.

For more on WSOF’s upcoming schedule, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Miguel Torres)

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

No UFC 200? Nate Diaz announces vacation plans (and posts epic street art)

  • 27 days ago
  • 521 views

With Conor McGregor officially ruled out, it appears Nate Diaz won’t get a replacement opponent for UFC 200.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Former WSOF Champ Steve Carl Looking for Another Belt at Saturday’s Titan FC 38

  • 27 days ago
  • 5 views

Former WSOF champion Steve Carl is looking to secure the Titan FC title and earning a shot in the UFC. read news >>

Valor Fights’ Corey Browning Plans Busy Year

  • 26 days ago
  • 4 views

He may have started his pro career off slowly, but Corey Browning plans a busy 2016. He returns to the cage at Valor Fights 32 on Friday. read news >>

Amanda Nunes: ‘Miesha Tate Has a Lot of Holes in Her Game’

  • 21 days ago
  • 82 views

Title challenger Amanda Nunes says women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate has 'a lot of holes in her game,' and plans to exploit them at UFC 200. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Trolls Ronda Rousey over Recent Beach Workout

  • 19 days ago
  • 461 views

Is Cris Cyborg a master troll, or did Ronda Rousey bring this on herself? Reasonable people can debate, but there can be no disagreement on one key point: Cyborg just got off a sick burn. Earlier thi read news >>

Amir Khan Wants to Showcase His Striking at ONE: Ascent to Power

  • 19 days ago
  • 12 views

A longtime Thai fighters, Amir Khan plans to show off his striking at ONE: Ascent to Power and make everyone take notice. read news >>

Tonya Evinger Plans to Punish Colleen Schneider in Invicta FC 17 Title Defense

  • 19 days ago
  • 4 views

Tonya Evinger has plans to put the hurt on Colleen Schneider in her Invicta FC 17 title defense on Saturday night. read news >>

Watch: Alistair Overeem Knocks Out Andrei Arlovski with "Karate Kid" Crane Kick

  • 15 days ago
  • 96 views

Just 18 months ago, Alistair Overeem was the biggest bust in UFC history. 'Reem signed with the UFC in 2011 with a massive wave of hype behind him. Dream heavyweight champion. Strikeforce heavyweight read news >>

Stipe Miocic is in the fight game to win title; plans to win it for Cleveland

  • 12 days ago
  • 1 views

No. 1 contender Stipe Miocic has had a vision of winning the belt since he started in the UFC. On Saturday night in enemy territory - Curitiba, Brazil at UFC 198 - Miocic plans to take out Fabricio W read news >>

Cris Cyborg Shoots Down Ronda Rousey Talk, Plans Featherweight Return

  • 9 days ago
  • 17 views

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino made her UFC debut at UFC 198. It was a fight years in the making, highlighted by a dominant win in front of her hometown. It was her moment, and she wanted to make sure th read news >>