Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has often said that he planned on being finished fighting by the time he is 35 years old. Many fans and pundits thought he might be done as soon as his UFC 144 bout with Ryan Bader was over.

The latter surely isn’t happening, and the former is in doubt now as well.

Despite a serious knee injury that hampered his training for and his performance against Bader, following the fight, Rampage sounded as if he had found the fountain of youth to his career.

“I know I’m getting to the end of my career cause I said I don’t want to fight past 35, but honestly, before I hurt my knee, you guys should have seen how I was training. I was looking like a superstar, then I hurt my knee,” he commented at the UFC 144 post-fight press conference.

“Now I know what I can do if I come in at 100 percent. I think I got a lot of years and I’m ready to put on more shows,” he continued.

“I heal up fast; I’m like a werewolf. I wasn’t even supposed to fight here. I heal up really fast. I’ll be back soon.”

With that, Rampage declared that not only is he not done fighting, it sounds like he might be willing to grant himself an extension beyond the 35-years-old deadline he set.

Rampage has a long history fighting in Japan, being one of the mainstays of the Pride organization for a number of years. He has another, more personal, connection as well.

“My kids are from Japan; my kids’ grandparents are from there,” he said in the lead-up to the fight. So a knee injury wasn’t going to stop him. It hindered him, but it didn’t stop him.

“I’m not surprised that I lost the fight,” Rampage revealed. “I tried to keep it secret. I injured my knee pretty bad and my doctor told me not to fight. I didn’t need surgery or nothing, but he just told me it wasn’t a good idea to fight.”

He never offered the injury up as an excuse. Rampage is a fighter, that’s what he does, and he’s always seen fighting through the injuries as part of the job.

This time, it may or may not have cost him the fight. It surely didn’t help matters against a former Ultimate Fighter winner that has been making waves in the UFC light heavyweight division.

But Rampage the fighter is born of the Japanese fight culture. And in the Japanese fight culture, a fighter is often revered as much for his heart in trying to overcome the odds, or perhaps even more so, than for actually winning the fight.

“I just wanted to put on an exciting fight. I’m just happy to make it here and try to put on a show for the Japanese fans.”

Follow @KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken Pishna.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

After a False Start for Original RFA Debut, Joe Gigliotti Looks to Impress

After missing weight for his original RFA debut, Joe Gigliotti looking to impress at RFA 37 on Friday night. read news >>

Fans invited to Wednesday's UFC 197 open workouts, Friday's weigh-ins in Las Vegas

The UFC returns to pay-per-view this week with UFC 197, and ahead of Saturday’s event, fans have an opportunity to get up close and personal with some of the fighters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier's Injury, More

Jon Jones has never been shy about voicing his opinion on Daniel Cormier in the past. On Monday, the former UFC light heavyweight champion went on the record to question whether it was an injury that read news >>

Conor McGregor Hints at Retirement in Post on Twitter

Mixed martial arts fans will want to watch Conor McGregor as much as they can now, because the 27-year-old may not be around in the sport much longer. In a cryptic tweet Tuesday, McGregor seemed to i read news >>

UFC 197 Open Workout Videos: Dememtrious Johnson, Henry Cejudo, and Ovince Saint Preux

Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson, Henry Cejudo, and Ovince Saint Preux worked out for fans and the media prior to their UFC 197 bouts on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>

Mega Thursday Fight Update

UFC matchmakers Joe Silva and Sean Shelby have been working overtime to bring fight fans plenty of compelling action this spring and summer, with eight new fights confirmed over the last 24 hours tha read news >>

Jon Jones Questions Daniel Cormier Injury (UFC 197 Video)

Jon Jones expressed his doubt about the legitimacy of Daniel Cormier's injury at the UFC 197 Media Day in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 197’s Edson Barboza says fight with Anthony Pettis is the one fans most request

LAS VEGAS – UFC lightweight Edson Barboza found it “interesting” the promotion matched him with former champion Anthony Pettis. After all, Barboza said, he fell short in his previous fight against To read news >>

Jon Jones Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Shin and Return

UFC star Jon Jones is dealing with a bruised shin after defeating Ovince Saint Preux by unanimous decision to capture the interim 205-pound title belt at UFC 197 on Saturday. Continue for updates. Jo read news >>

UFC 197 attendance: Event draws 11,352 fans for $2.3 million live gate in Las Vegas

LAS VEGAS – Saturday’s UFC 197 event drew an announced attendance of 11,352 fans for a live gate of $2.3 million.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>