Quinton “Rampage” Jackson has often said that he planned on being finished fighting by the time he is 35 years old. Many fans and pundits thought he might be done as soon as his UFC 144 bout with Ryan Bader was over.

The latter surely isn’t happening, and the former is in doubt now as well.

Despite a serious knee injury that hampered his training for and his performance against Bader, following the fight, Rampage sounded as if he had found the fountain of youth to his career.

“I know I’m getting to the end of my career cause I said I don’t want to fight past 35, but honestly, before I hurt my knee, you guys should have seen how I was training. I was looking like a superstar, then I hurt my knee,” he commented at the UFC 144 post-fight press conference.

“Now I know what I can do if I come in at 100 percent. I think I got a lot of years and I’m ready to put on more shows,” he continued.

“I heal up fast; I’m like a werewolf. I wasn’t even supposed to fight here. I heal up really fast. I’ll be back soon.”

With that, Rampage declared that not only is he not done fighting, it sounds like he might be willing to grant himself an extension beyond the 35-years-old deadline he set.

Rampage has a long history fighting in Japan, being one of the mainstays of the Pride organization for a number of years. He has another, more personal, connection as well.

“My kids are from Japan; my kids’ grandparents are from there,” he said in the lead-up to the fight. So a knee injury wasn’t going to stop him. It hindered him, but it didn’t stop him.

“I’m not surprised that I lost the fight,” Rampage revealed. “I tried to keep it secret. I injured my knee pretty bad and my doctor told me not to fight. I didn’t need surgery or nothing, but he just told me it wasn’t a good idea to fight.”

He never offered the injury up as an excuse. Rampage is a fighter, that’s what he does, and he’s always seen fighting through the injuries as part of the job.

This time, it may or may not have cost him the fight. It surely didn’t help matters against a former Ultimate Fighter winner that has been making waves in the UFC light heavyweight division.

But Rampage the fighter is born of the Japanese fight culture. And in the Japanese fight culture, a fighter is often revered as much for his heart in trying to overcome the odds, or perhaps even more so, than for actually winning the fight.

“I just wanted to put on an exciting fight. I’m just happy to make it here and try to put on a show for the Japanese fans.”

Follow @KenPishna on Twitter or e-mail Ken Pishna.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Fighter Suffers Gruesome Hand Injury at UFC Fight Night 87

Fight fans got an ugly sight on Sunday afternoon at UFC Fight Night 87 in the lightweight bout between Josh Emmett and Jon Tuck. In the latter half of their three-round fight, Emmett was clearly favo read news >>

Chris Weidman’s Open Letter to Fans, Explaining Severe Neck Injury

Chris Weidman on Wednesday penned an open letter to fans, posting it on Facebook, to explain the severe neck injury that forced him out of UFC 199. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Talks with Mayhem Miller: Missing Weight, More Fights, and UFC Exit

• a day ago

Chael Sonnen goes one on one with Mayhem Miller about missing weight by 24 pounds, what his future holds, and the backstage blow-up that led to his UFC exit. read news >>

Chris Weidman Reveals Neck Injury That Could Put Him Out 6 to 12 Weeks

News broke on Tuesday that Chris Weidman was out of UFC 199. On Wednesday, he revealed a serious neck injury that could put him out 6 to 12 weeks. read news >>

Michael Bisping gets UFC 199 title shot following Chris Weidman injury

Michael Bisping is stepping in for the injured Chris Weidman to face champion Luke Rockhold for the middleweight championship at UFC 199 in Los Angeles on June 4. read news >>

Back from ACL Injury, Georgi Karakhanyan Wants to Stay Busy, Starting with Bellator 155

Finally bouncing back from an ACL injury, Georgi Karakhanyan wants to stay busy starting with Bellator 155 on Friday night. read news >>

Mayhem Miller Misses Weight by 24 Pounds, Out of Venator Title Fight

Venator FC had to know they were taking a risk when they inked a deal with Jason "Mayhem" Miller, but had to be surprised when he missed weight by 24 pounds. read news >>

Jason Miller vs. Mattia Schiavolin Official After Mayhem Makes Weight for New Venator Fight

Jason “Mayhem” Miller made the required fight on Saturday for his revised Venator FC 3 fight with Mattia Schiavolin. read news >>

BJ Penn Pulled from UFC 199: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC fans will not get the opportunity to watch BJ Penn square off against Cole Miller at UFC 199 in Los Angeles on June 4. According to a statement on the UFC’s official website, Penn was suspended b read news >>

BJ Penn Pulled from UFC 199: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction