brock-lesnar-alistair-overeem-ufc-141It appears former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar‘s potential return to the UFC has gone from a “you never know” to a simple “no.”

Just a few weeks ago, UFC President Dana White said the WWE star’s return to the UFC was “definitely a possibility.” These days, though? Not so much.

The topic that never dies got a new life at Saturday’s UFC 169 event, where main-card winner Alistair Overeem called out Lesnar. After a three-round beatdown of Frank Mir (16-9 MMA, 14-9 UFC) in a featured bout (watch the Overeem vs. Mir highlights), Overeem (37-13 MMA, 2-2 UFC) directed his post-fight interview at Lesnar, whom he beat via TKO in late 2011 at UFC 141.

Overeem apparently had heard White’s recent comments about Lesnar’s potential return, and he campaigned for the rematch.

“I heard word that Brock Lesnar is coming back to the UFC,” Overeem said after Saturday’s victory, which aired on pay-per-view from Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. “Well, I’ll be here waiting for him.”

However, in the post-fight news conference, White dismissed the possibility of both the fight and a potential Lesnar return.

“Brock Lesnar is not coming back,” he said. “Brock Lesnar is not fighting. I mean, does he want to come back? We’ve talked about him wanting to come back, and he feels like he wasn’t 100 percent while he was here. He feels like he sold himself a little short and all the stuff I’ve told you before.

“But no, he’s not. We have not deal with Brock Lesnar. He’s not coming back anytime soon.”

After battling a life-threatening bout of diverticulitis, Lesnar, who held the UFC title from 2008 to 2010, returned from a lengthy layoff to fight Overeem in late 2011. But after the defeat, which followed a title loss to Cain Velasquez 14 months prior, Lesnar announced his retirement and ultimately returned to the pro-wrestling circuit with the WWE.

Although the 36-year-old’s best days may be behind him, Lesnar was one of the UFC’s biggest PPV draws during his impressive run and reportedly helped the organization crack the million-buyrate threshold on four occasions in just seven UFC fights.

However, with Lesnar apparently out of the mix and Overeem halting a two-fight skid, what’s next for the hard-hitting Dutchman?

“Every fight in the UFC is interesting to me,” he said. “On that note, for now, it’s holiday time. Then we’re going to sit together with the team, and then we’re going to figure out the next steps.”

For complete coverage of UFC 169, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Bobby Lashley Comments on Potential MMA Fight vs. Brock Lesnar

  • 2 days ago

Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashley are currently the two biggest crossover stars in the realm of professional wrestling and MMA, and Lashley is of the belief that a clash with the Beast Incarnate in the read news >>

NSAC: Brock Lesnar readying supplement defense, Jon Jones gets flack for delay

  • 17 days ago

It appears Brock Lesnar is preparing a defense following his UFC 200 positive drug test.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anthony Hamilton says he's fighting Francis Ngannou at December's UFC 102 in Albany, N.Y.

  • 23 days ago

It appears the UFC’s first visit to the New York state capital city has its first fight. Filed under: News read news >>

Coker Undeterred by Potential of Public Backlash Ahead of Bellator's Israel Debut | FIGHTLAND

  • 22 days ago

Photo via Scott Coker/Twitter Last month, Bellator announced its first event in Israel, which is scheduled to take place on November 10 at Tel Aviv’s 11000-seat Menora Mivtachim Arena. The card boast read news >>

Jon Jones, Nate Diaz, Brock Lesnar push off NSAC, but Conor McGregor’s hearing set

  • 21 days ago

Conor McGregor – and/or his duly appointed representative – will go before the Nevada State Athletic Commission to answer for a news conference fracas in connection with his rematch against Nate Diaz read news >>

UFC Fight Night 97 to be rescheduled following injury to B.J. Penn

  • 21 days ago

The UFC will not be returning to the Philippines this month.According to a report from FloCombat, the UFC willre-scheduleUFC Fight Night 97, which was expected to go down on October 15 at the Mall of read news >>

UFC vet Gerald Harris ends retirement, fights Aaron Cobb in Legacy FC 63 headliner

  • 20 days ago

Gerald Harris is returning from a three-year layoff – and he’s doing it in a hometown headliner.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Rafael Carvalho vs. Melvin Manhoef Championship Rematch Headlines Bellator 168 |

  • 20 days ago

Bellator is returning to Italy with an MMA main event that will feature Rafael Carvalho and Melvin Manhoef in a championship rematch. read news >>

What If Vince McMahon Could Script Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson? |

  • 20 days ago

There's so much feel good potential on the UFC 204 card that's it's too bad you couldn't script it, WWE-style, to make it an MMA card for the ages. Let's imagine if Vince McMahon was booking the main read news >>

Conor McGregor Not-So-Humbled by Nevada's Bottle-Throwing Punishment |

  • 17 days ago

After the Nevada Athletic Commission dropped the hammer on Conor McGregor, it appears the punishment has done little to humble the brash Irish fighter. read news >>