Despite 1-1 mark in promotion, UFC 163's Tom Watson says sights on title


UFC middleweight Tom Watson (16-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC) may not be a household name or ranked fighter, but that doesn’t mean his aspirations fall short of earning a world championship.

“Whenever I’m with an organization, the goal is to become the champion and – that’s what the belt represents,” Watson told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “The UFC is the same when I signed. I signed to be the champion, I didn’t sign to face some UFC fighters and have a good time.”?

After splitting his first two trips to the octagon, the 31-year-old is just days away from his opportunity to truly let fans know what he’s all about when he makes his UFC pay-per-view debut against Thales Leites (20-4 MMA, 5-3 UFC) at UFC 163.

Leites was a UFC title challenger himself once upon a time, and a victory over him, especially inside the hostile HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, would raise Watson’s stock higher than ever before. His fight with Leites is on the pay-per-view main card following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Even though Leites is making a return to the UFC after a nearly four-year absence, he still is the most notable name “Kong” has fought to date.

He will provide a true test for Watson and help determine whether or not his dream of fighting for a world title ever has the chance of becoming reality.

While Leites may carry more weight in terms of name value than any of Watson’s previous opponents, the Englishman has the utmost faith he will be victorious on Saturday and believes anything other than that type of self-confidence would be a red flag. “Anybody in your division, you should believe you can beat,” said Watson. “If you don’t, then you should look for a different career path.”

In a division that is top-heavy with such names as Chris Weidman, Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfort and Yushin Okami, Watson is aware of the long and painful road to the top, but knows he will get there.

Why?

It’s simple; he wouldn’t compete if his career expectations were anything less than holding UFC gold.

“I signed to be No. 1, and that’s why I do this sport,” he said. “So if that’s not going to be an option, then I’ll retire today.”

For more on UFC 163, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.?

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 10 days ago
  • 0 views

A middleweight matchup between Brazilian Rafael Natal and Englishman Tom Watson is the latest addition to January’s UFC 183 lineup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 1 views

A middleweight match up between Tom Watson and Rafael Natal has been penciled in for the upcoming UFC 183: "Silva vs. Diaz" pay-per-view (PPV) mixed martial arts (MMA) event on Jan. 31, 2014 inside M read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 0 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship continues to round out UFC 183 on Jan. 31, adding a middleweight pairing of Tom Watson versus Rafael Natal. read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 1 views

It’s Brazil vs. the world in Las Vegas. The UFC announced on Thursday that Rafael Natal and Tom Watson are set to collide at the UFC 183 pay-per-view card in Las Vegas on Jan. 31. So far, seven of th read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 14 views

Mark Hunt and Fabricio Werdum will be fighting for the interim title at UFC 180, the sixth interim heavyweight title fight in UFC history. MMAmania.com looks back at the history of the substitute str read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 35 views

From Yahoo Sports: Hunt says he weighs over 300 pounds, but when he got the call from Dana White, "there was never a doubt." read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 4 views

Next month Mark Hunt fights for the interim UFC heavyweight title. Check out this video as he recounts the call from UFC executives when they offered him the fight.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 17 views

Days after UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman questioned the Nevada State Athletic Commission for not drug testing Vitor Belfort leading up to their UFC 184 bout, "The Phenom" has submitted to a read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 0 views

From Yahoo Sports: The middleweight hopeful would fall farther behind too many relevant fighters if he can't get past Rockhold Friday. read news >>

Jump to: