Legacy FC 13 PosterConsidering how far he’s come in just a couple years, you’d never have guessed that top Texas heavyweight prospect Derrick Lewis had virtually no background in combat sports prior to getting involved in MMA.

“I don’t even know that guy,” says Lewis, looking back on his early fights. “It was so embarrassing to watch. Even the fights that I won, I could have lost those fights because I didn’t know as much technique as I know right now.

“(Without) some submissions or a couple combos I know right now, I could have lost at least half of those fights that I won.”

Lewis, in particular, feels his ground game has improved since he started fighting two years ago.

“If I get taken down, I get right back up,” he said. “I’m not letting my opponent lay and pray on me.”

Lewis’ developing ground game could be a big determining factor in his upcoming fight, as he headlines Legacy FC 13 in Dallas on Friday night, live on AXS TV, against Jared Rosholt.

“Since my loss to Tony Johnson this is a pretty good (opportunity) to see if I’ve improved or not on my takedown defense and how I can handle a wrestler with the background (Rosholt) has,” said Lewis.

“I feel like he’d be a fool to try to stand up with me. If he tries to stand up with me, he’s crazy; so I’m prepared for him to try to take me down.”

While a win on a nationally televised live event would be huge for Lewis’ career, there’s more on the line than just money or glory; he’s fighting for something far more important to his personal life.

“This will be the last chance for my grandpa to be in attendance (at one of my fights),” said Lewis.

“I was going to (Kilgore) College before I got locked up in prison and all of that, and he was coming to all my (football) games and I feel like I let him down by getting into trouble. And now he has cancer, and the doctors say he probably won’t make it this year, so I feel I owe this to him right here and let him know he can still be proud of me.”

Lewis continued, “That’s why I feel like with this fight being on TV and all of that, I’m not even worried about it.”

With a chance to take a big step forward in his career, and with so much riding on the line to him personally, Lewis feels Friday night’s fight is going to be explosive and fans shouldn’t miss his bout with Rosholt at Legacy FC 13.

“It’s going to be exciting; win, lose or draw,” he said. “I’m going to give it my all, like it’s my last fight ever, like my life is on the line. I’m going to give it my all.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more on Legacy FC 13 and other MMA News.

Andy Nguyen To Defend Her KOTC Title After Legacy FC 57 Fight Against Bi Nguyen

Nguyen returns to Legacy FC this Friday in Shreveport, Louisiana, to take on a fighter she’s very familiar with in the debuting Bi Nguyen in a main card bout. read news >>

Tony Kelley Heads Into Legacy FC 57 Title Fight Knowing He’s Facing a ‘Big Test’

Tony Kelley will have his biggest test as a pro to date when he takes on Kevin Aguilar for the vacant Legacy FC 145-pound title in the main event on Friday. read news >>

For Legacy’s Kevin Aguilar, It’s All About the Victory; The Title is Just a Bonus

For Legacy FC's Kevin Aguilar, it's all about the fight and the victory. The fact that he would win a title on Friday night is just an added bonus. read news >>

Legacy FC 57 Results and Highlights: Kevin Aguilar Captures Featherweight Title

Four first-round finishes and a five-round championship war highlight another thrilling night of fights at Legacy FC 57. Check out the results and highlights. read news >>

Roy Nelson: ‘Derrick Lewis is the Black Fedor’ (Full Scrum Video)

Heading into his UFC Fight Night 90 "black panty night" co-main event, Roy Nelson calls his opponent, knockout artist Derrick Lewis, the Black Fedor. read news >>

At UFC Fight Night 90, Derrick Lewis Could Become Fans' New Favorite Heavyweight

It's two days before UFC Fight Night 90, and Derrick Lewis is cutting weight and doing phone interviews in Las Vegas. A reporter asks him how he's doing. “Horrible," Lewis said. "How are you doing?” read news >>

UFC Fight Night 90 Results: Derrick Lewis Takes Split Decision Over Roy Nelson, Calls for Rematch

Rising heavyweight Derrick Lewis requested a fight against tenth ranked Roy Nelson and got what he asked for on Thursday in the UFC Fight Night 90 co-main event in Las Vegas. read news >>

Roy Nelson vs. Derrick Lewis Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC FN 90

Derrick Lewis defeated Roy Nelson by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) at UFC Fight Night 90. It was a clash of styles, and the Las Vegas crowd was not a fan of the scorecards that were read. We w read news >>

UFC's Derrick Lewis Took a Nap During Post-Fight Press Conference

Being a fighter is incredibly difficult. They train for months in anticipation of getting punched in the face for a tiny paycheck, and then afterward? They have to sit in front of the media and answe read news >>

Legacy FC 58 Results and Highlights: BJJ Champ Makenzie Dern Dominates in Debut

In her mixed martial arts debut tonight, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu world champion Mackenzie Dern dominated Kenia Rosas. read news >>