Cain Velasquez UFC 155UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez looks to defend his title for the first time against Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva in the main event of UFC 160 on May 25. He heads into the rematch with exactly the same mentality he did when the two first met at UFC 146.

Velasquez (11-1) defeated Silva in one-sided fashion a year ago on May 26, 2012, finishing “Bigfoot” inside the first round.  But that was a different fight on a different night.

“This is a whole new fight.  Obviously we saw what Bigfoot can do in his last two fights.  You can’t take him lightly.  He is a tough competitor,” said Velasquez on a recent media conference call.  “I don’t see this as anything less than a hard, grueling fight and that’s what I’m expecting.”

Having defeated Silva before doesn’t detract from Velasquez’s motivation in this fight.

“As far as motivation, I’m motivated to do good.  And it being a rematch, I mean, it is what it is.  We have fought before, but you kind of learn from that fight, but not really thinking too much of it.  You’ve got to kind of think of it as a whole new fight, a whole new strategy is involved and just take it from there,” he said.

“I’m the same.  I’m hungry.  I just want to win, definitely the same.  Just obviously, maybe a different game plan from Bigfoot maybe, but that’s the only thing that’s different in this fight.  But I’ve been hungry and wanting this win. I’m 100 percent there,” added the 30-year-old fighter.

While Silva’s game plan will likely be different than the first time they fought, Velasquez’s remains the same.

“For me, the game plan is staying the same, but I just have to be ready for everything, whatever his game plan is. If he comes out more aggressive, he does different stuff. I’m looking for stuff out there, but I’m looking for my game plan to be the same.”

This is Velasquez’s second title reign.  He defeated Brock Lesnar at UFC 121 to capture the belt, but failed to successfully defend it.  He was knocked out by Junior dos Santos in his first title defense, but recaptured the belt at UFC 155 by avenging the previous loss to the Brazilian heavyweight.

This time around, Velasquez plans to hold onto that title.

“To me right now, it’s the most important thing to defend it, just to hold on to it.  This is the position that I want to be in, so I have to go out and perform,” said the champion.

UFC 200 Primer: Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne Head-to-Toe Breakdown

When the loaded UFC 200 pay-per-view gets underway it will be two of the best heavyweights in the world kicking off the show. No. 3-ranked* Cain Velasquez (13-2), according Bleacher Report's June MMA read news >>

UFC 200 Primer: Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne Head-to-Toe Breakdown

When the loaded UFC 200 pay-per-view gets underway, it will be two of the best heavyweights in the world kicking off the show. No. 3-ranked Cain Velasquez (13-2), according to Bleacher Report's June  read news >>

Cain Velasquez in a Do-or-Die Fight at UFC 200 Opposite Travis Browne

Cain Velasquez seemed completely unstoppable not all that long ago. His wrestling was too good. His hands were too heavy. His gas tank was too deep. He could outwrestle strikers, outstrike wrestlers read news >>

Cain Velasquez in a Do-or-Die Fight at UFC 200 Opposite Travis Browne

Cain Velasquez Talks Training Differently to Avoid Injury (UFC 200 Video)

Cain Velasquez fields questions from the press before his upcoming UFC 200 fight against Travis Browne at Wednesday's pre-fight press conference. read news >>

UFC 200 Results: Cain Velasquez is Back; Takes Out Travis Browne in First Round

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez wasted little time re-establishing his position in the division, taking out Travis Browne at UFC 200. read news >>

Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne Results: Winner, Knockout Reaction from UFC 200

After more than a year away from the Octagon, Cain Velasquez is back in the heavyweight conversation with a first-round TKO win over Travis Browne on the main card at UFC 200 on Saturday. Bleacher Re read news >>

UFC 200 Video Highlights: Cain Velasquez Rolls Over Travis Browne

Former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez returned to the Octagon on Saturday on the UFC 200 main card against contender Travis Browne. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Would Like to Fight Cain Velasquez Again (UFC 200 Video)

After defeating Mark Hunt at UFC 200, Brock Lesnar said he would like another shot at Cain Velasquez. Of course, there is one caveat to that. read news >>

Cain Velasquez: ‘I Want the Winner of Stipe Miocic and Alistair Overeem (Video)

Following his first-round finish of Travis Browne at UFC 200, former heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez wants to fight the winner of champion Stipe Moicic and Alistair Overeem. read news >>