David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Saint Preux - Idiot's Guide Preview to the FS2/Fight Pass Prelims

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about an undercard that inexplicable has Sara McMann on it this August 8, 2015 in Nashville. Superior fighters to the main card get buried read news >>

Why UFC champ Ronda Rousey left her belt in Brazil after UFC 190

Following a victory at this past weekend’s massive UFC 190 event, women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has left her belt in Brazil – but for a good reason.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov seemed to predict WSOF 22 brawl with 'bullsh-t guy' Nate Diaz

A wild cageside brawl marred this past weekend’s WSOF 22 event. One of its participants, Khabib Nurmagomedov, seemed to predict it could happen.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos, WSOF read news >>

UFC 190 results: 'Bigfoot' Silva blasts past Soa Palelei with second-round TKO

RIO DE JANEIRO – Antonio Silva may have finished the first round against Soa Palelei on his back, getting his head bounced off the mat, but he came back with a vengeance to start the second. Filed un read news >>

UFC 190: Fight Card, PPV Start Time and Final Rousey vs. Correia Predictions

Over the past few years, Rio de Janeiro has become a favored destination for UFC, and on Saturday, the company will once again occupy the HSBC Arena. UFC 190 will begin with the UFC Fight Pass prelim read news >>

Fightweets: What if Bethe Correia actually defeats Ronda Rousey?

Unless you've been out wandering the desert for the past week or so, you're probably aware that Ronda Rousey is fighting on Saturday night. Rousey defends her UFC women's bantamweight title against B read news >>

After latest win, Bryan Caraway wants Michael McDonald or UFC title shot

After beating Eddie Wineland at this past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 16 event, bantamweight Bryan Caraway would like to welcome Michael McDonald back into the UFC’s octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, N read news >>

UFC 190: Rousey vs. Correia - Idiot's Guide Preview to the TUF: Brazil 4 Finalists

David Castillo breaks down everything you need to know about the lightweight and bantamweight finals from TUF: Brazil 4 that everyone hopes can't end quick enough for UFC 190 in Brazil. The four fina read news >>

UFC 190: Rousey vs. Correia - Idiot's Guide Preview to Stefan Struve vs Antonio Nogueira

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about a Heavyweight fight you wish didn't exist, this August 1, 2015 in Brazil. A heavyweight bout no one asked for hopes to avoid depress read news >>

UFC 190: Rousey vs. Correia - Idiot's Guide Preview to Antonio Silva vs Soa Palelei

David Castillo breaks the three things you need to know about an entertaining but hierarchy-averse Heavyweight bout between Antonio Silva and Soa Palelei this weekend in Brazil. The Heavyweight divis read news >>