David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Related MMA Gear

MMAjunkie Radio on vacation this week, but download star-studded past episodes now

As a reminder, MMAjunkie Radio is on vacation through the rest of the week, but now is the perfect time to catch up on our recent star-studded episodes.Filed under: News read news >>

Video: Why Matt Hobar is surprisingly thankful for a rough year in the UFC

This past year, UFC bantamweight Matt Hobar fought three times in the promotion. He ended the year on a loss, which brought his record to 1-2 in the octagon. Not a great place to be as an up-and-comi read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 medical suspensions: Dustin Poirier receives longest term

Just four fighters from this past weekend’s UFC Fight Night 63 were issued medical suspensions following the event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

How Ronda Rousey WWE idea came about, and where WWE wants it to go

This past Sunday, when Ronda Rousey climbed into the World Wrestling Entertainment ring, it was presented as a spur of the moment incident after an in-ring verbal battle between actor/wrestler Dwayne read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas - Idiot's Guide Preview to Michael Chiesa vs. Mitch Clarke

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about two 11-2 lightweights in Michael Chiesa vs. Mitch Clarke. This April 4, 2015 lightweights Michael Chiesa and Mitch Clarke keep the F read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas - Idiot's Guide Preview to Julianna Pena vs. Milana Dudieva

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about a veritable barnburner in the women's bantamweight division between Julianna Pena and Milana Dudieva. This April 4, 2015 the women t read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas - Idiot's Guide Preview to Dustin Poirier vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about Dustin Poirier's potentially misguided move back to lightweight against Carlos Diego Ferreira. This April 4, 2015 lightweights Dusti read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas - Idiot's Guide to the Fox Sports 1 Undercard

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know for the early 1 PM (ET) undercard in Virginia that you'd probably miss even if he started at its usual time. This April 4, 2015 the underc read news >>

Michael Bisping on past losses to drug cheats: ‘There’s a little bit of sour grapes’

Michael Bisping fought 13 times in the years between 2008 and early-2013, the stretch of his career which will ultimately go down as his prime. Of those 13 fights, Bisping won nine. The other four co read news >>