David Castillo Charging to a Title, Shot at the Bigs


David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 29 days ago
  • 1 views

The 32-year old Brazilian is sure of his success in his upcoming bout and hopes to finally have his shot at the Bantamweight title after a string of bad luck. Seeking a rematch against the UFC Bantam read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 8 views

If former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight kingpin Georges St. Pierre was still on the fence about making his return to mixed martial arts (MMA), after taking a break from combat spo read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 18 views

Nine individuals hold a championship title in the UFC. All have achieved greatness by defeating the best to reign atop their division. In that, some current and former champions have flirted with the read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 47 views

Keep your title shot. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight contender Donald Cerrone has now won five straight -- with four finishes -- inside a stacked 155-pound division, the kind of bli read news >>

  • 2 days ago
  • 17 views

UFC bantamweight competitor Bryan Caraway discusses his upcoming match-up with Raphael Assuncao, as well as Manny Gamburyan, who called him out on Saturday night at UFC 178. Once seen referred to as read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 3 views

Potentially fighting for a title shot, Gegard Mousasi and Ronaldo Souza went to war in the main event of UFC Fight Night 50 last night (Fri., Sept. 5, 2014) at Foxwoods Resort Casino in Mashantucket, read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 7 views

Whether or not Georges St-Pierre ever plans to grace the Octagon again remains one of the UFC's most talked-about mysteries. So rather than wait for "GSP" to make the decision to come back, UFC presi read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 4 views

UFC president Dana White joined the Jacare vs. Mousasi weigh-in show on Fox Sports 1 on Thursday to break down the fight card, including the main event, of which he said the winner will be "damn clos read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 1 views

If Georges St-Pierre decides to end his sabbatical and return to the Octagon, a title shot is likely waiting for him. With rumblings that the former longtime welterweight champion could return next y read news >>

Jump to: