David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Related MMA Gear

UFC 188 results: Cejudo gets past tough Camus, Williams submits Perez in 23 seconds

Check out the results of the four televised preliminary card bouts on FX, including the flyweight clash between Henry Cejudo and Chico Camus. UFC 188 came up empty on finishes in the opening three fi read news >>

UFC 188: Toe to Toe Preview - A complete breakdown of Cain Velasquez vs Fabricio Werdum

David Castillo and Phil Mackenzie tell you everything you need to know and everything you don't about persistence hunting and pointy elbows for UFC 188 in New Mexico Cain Velasquez fights Fabricio We read news >>

UFC 188: Velasquez vs Werdum - Idiot's Guide Preview to Kelvin Gastelum vs Nate Marquardt

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about Gastelum vs. Marquardt at middleweight in Mexico, and everything you don't about how to be a true detective. this June 13, 2015 at t read news >>

UFC 188: Velasquez vs Werdum - Idiot's Guide Preview to Yair Rodriguez vs Charles Rosa

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about Rodriguez vs Rosa for UFC 188 in Mexico, and everything you don't about paying tribute to the late Sir Christopher Lee. Two not that read news >>

UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum - Idiot's Guide Preview to Tecia Torres vs Angela Hill

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about Torres vs. Hill at UFC 188 in Mexico, and everything you don't about what this has to do with Burger King spokesman, Amir Sadollah. read news >>

UFC 188: Velasquez vs. Werdum - Idiot's Guide Preview to the FX/Fight Pass Prelims

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about the UFC 188 undercard in Mexico City, and everything you don't about why it'll be so disappointing after the joy of UFN 68. A few el read news >>

Anderson Silva’s NSAC hearing postponed a third time

Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva this past week received a third continuance on his response to the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s complaint against him.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Brian Ebersole wanted 'fairy tale ending' to career but ‘it just didn’t quite happen’

Brian Ebersole didn't intend for this past Saturday to be his farewell fight, but no one has ever accused the fight game of being fair to its senior class. Ebersole, the 34-year-old veteran of the ea read news >>

Tim Kennedy Wants to Fight Dan Henderson on a 'Fight for the Troops' Card

44-year-old Dan Henderson fought off Father Time this past weekend with a 28-second knockout finish of Tim Boetsch at UFC Fight Night 68. Having lost five of his previous six fights, Henderson, who t read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 Instagram roundup: Old man Hendo, Jordan's kick, Tavares' cut

Take a look back at this past weekend’s UFC Fight Night 68 event in New Orleans with an Instagram compilation of the show’s top sights and sounds.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>