David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Miesha Tate Announces Her Retirement at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Miesha Tate has been fighting for the past decade, but she's had enough. read news >>

Storming off stage? Dana White clarifies Ronda Rousey's quick exit after UFC 207 face-off

This past week former UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey made a rare appearance during a face-off with upcoming UFC 207 opponent and current titleholder Amanda Nunes. She then appeared to read news >>

Keri Melendez Carries the Weight of Expectation into Her MMA Debut | MMAWeekly.com

It’s safe to say that over the past year, few fighters have had the level of expectations placed upon them that Keri Melendez has. read news >>

Ryan Bader and Rogerio Nogueira Talk Rematch, Six Years in the Making (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Ryan Bader and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira talk about the past and their first fight six years ago, as well as the future and what they see happening this time. read news >>

OK, UFC 205 was huge, but it didn't break all the records

This past weekend’s UFC 205 event was a big one, based on numerous metrics. But it didn’t break all the records.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Despite past accusations, Gegard Mousasi says Lyoto Machida's USADA suspension 'a little bit too much'

BELFAST, Northern Ireland – Gegard Mousasi has made plenty of strong statements about Lyoto Machida in the past. However, even he thinks the recent 18-month suspension handed out to the former UFC li read news >>

Bellator's Competitive Excellence on Display with Michael Chandler

Bellator has been getting itself a little more respect over the past little while. Sure, you have Tito Ortiz and Chael Sonnen exchanging cringeworthy barbs in the name of selling a fight no one asked read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio is on vacation, but here's how to catch up on past episodes

MMAjunkie Radio is on vacation today and Friday for Thanksgiving, and it returns on Monday. Now, though, is the perfect time to download and catch up on past episodes, including this past week’s star read news >>

UFC Fight Night 101 results: Ben Nguyen cruises past Geane Herrera for easy unanimous decision

MELBOURNE, Australia – Geane Herrera sprinted across the cage to start his bout with Ben Nguyen, delivering a flying side kick to the body that put Nguyen down.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 166's former champ Marcos Galvao using losses to Dantas to come back stronger

For nearly four years, Marcos Galvao has gotten past everyone Bellator has put in front of him … except Eduardo Dantas. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>