David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Related MMA Gear

Making the Case for Ronda Rousey as the Pound-for-Pound Best in MMA

Over the past few years, only Jon Jones and Jose Aldo have been nearly as dominant over their divisions in the UFC as Ronda Rousey has. Despite recent off-the-Octagon issues, Jones is still undeniabl read news >>

Anthony Johnson: 'The gameplan hasn't changed; the gameplan is to whoop some ass'

While much has changed for Anthony Johnson over the past few days, the UFC light heavyweight contender said his plan for May 23 hasn’t been altered one bit.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Champ Demetrious Johnson: My record is going to be very, very hard to break

With four finishes in his past five fights, UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has a lot to smile about. Even better, he’s now a record-holder in the promotion for the latest submission in a U read news >>

Video: Go behind the scenes of UFC 186 in Montreal in 'The Thrill and Agony'

The UFC returned to Canada this past week for UFC 186, featuring a flyweight title fight and some history. See the UFC’s new video “The Thrill and Agony” to go behind the scenes in Montreal.Filed und read news >>

The Question: How Should the UFC Handle the Jon Jones Problem?

Unless you've been living under a rock the past two days, you know all about the current shenanigans surrounding UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. Just in case, here's a quick recap: Jones wa read news >>

Back in the UFC, Rampage Jackson is on a Mission to Avenge Past Losses

Now that Rampage is officially back in the UFC after a contractual dispute with his previous employer, Bellator MMA, Quinton Jackson wants to avenge his previous losses. read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (noon ET): UFC 186 recap, Jon Jones discussion

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) as we recap this past weekend’s UFC 186 event and discuss the latest news and legal woes surrounding UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones.Filed un read news >>

Video: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao - The Legends Speak

Boxing legends from decades past, as well as former opponents of both Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao give their thoughts on next week's super showdown in Las Vegas. We're less than a week away f read news >>

UFC 186 results: Nordine Taleb cruises past Chris Clements for scorecard sweep

MONTREAL – In three rounds of action, the only respite Chris Clements managed to get from the suffocating attack of Nordine Taleb was when he accidentally kicked him in the groin early in the first f read news >>