David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Zach Freeman Gunning for RFA Title, Whatever Comes Next... Comes Next | MMAWeekly.com

Following a lackluster number of fights the past couple years, Zach Freeman is focused on taking the RFA lightweight title. read news >>

Will Brooks' Tough Chicago Upbringing Built a Champion (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Fast rising lightweight Will Brooks journeys to Chicago to revisit his harrowing past where he battled his family’s struggles and homelessness. read news >>

Josh Samman Passes Away After Brief Coma at 28

Josh Samman, five-fight UFC veteran, has passed away after spending the past few daysin a coma. At this time, it is unclear how Samman and his roommate died.Last week, it was reported thatUFC Middlew read news >>

Matt Schnell breaks down his fight with Matt Rizzo from TUF 24

Matt Schnell gives insight into his win this past week on TUF read news >>

ONE Championship 48 video highlights, including Yoshitaka Naito's title defense

This past Friday’s ONE Championship 48 main card was full of submissions, including one in the championship headliner.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Singer Demi Lovato Wants an MMA Fight, According to Coach Jay Glazer

Demi Lovato has spent the past year going through MMA training, and now the singer is talking about the potential of an actual fight. TMZ Sports spoke with Unbreakable Performance Center owner Jay Gl read news >>

Legacy FC 61 results: Damon Jackson grinds past Levi Mowles, Mackenzie Dern pulls incredible submission

Three-time UFC veteran Damon Jackson returned to the regional scene with a victory, but 21-year-old prospect Levi Mowles made it an incredibly difficult affair.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Seo Hee Ham vs. Danielle Taylor rebooked for UFC Fight Night 101 in Melbourne

The fights from this past weekend’s canceled UFC Fight Night 97 event continue to find new homes, with a women’s strawweight contest the latest to be rebooked.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Lion Fight CEO Scott Kent: 'MMA Has Created Model for Combat Sports' | MMAWeekly.com

Over the course of the past couple years, the Las Vegas-based Lion Fight promotion has steadily built itself into one of the premier Muay Thai companies around. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 99 opening odds: Despite past win, Uriah Hall a massive underdog to Gegard Mousasi

Despite a recent win over his UFC Fight Night 99 opponent, Uriah Hall is a massive underdog going into the rematch.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>