David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Invicta FC 13 payouts: 'Cyborg' Justino earns $100K of $162K total payout

Cristiane Justino was the top earner at this past week’s Invicta FC 13 event; in fact, “Cyborg” earned the lion’s share of the total payroll.Filed under: News read news >>

Victorious TUF 21 Finale cast members – and opponents – likely to get UFC contracts

LAS VEGAS – Unlike past seasons of the reality show, cast members on “The Ultimate Fighter 21? were given no guarantees about their futures in the organization. But they got some good news on Sunday. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale: The Idiot's Guide Preview and Complete Breakdown

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about the UFC event that is NOT UFC 189 this Sunday in Vegas. The UFC looks to follow up the massive UFC 189 with the completely minor TUF read news >>

UFC 189 results: Conor McGregor rallies past Chad Mendes, claims interim title

The one big question which lingered throughout Conor McGregor's meteoric rise through the UFC featherweight ranks was how he'd fare when he squared off with an elite wrestler. Saturday night, he was read news >>

'That's impending doom': UFC fighters react to IV rehydration ban

“I’ve used IVs in the past.” This was the prevailing response when MMAjunkie spoke to UFC fighters about the new ban on the use of IVs to rehydrate after cutting weight.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor - Idiot's Guide Preview to Dennis Bermudez vs Jeremy Stephens

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about a featherweight fight likely to end violently in the first round for UFC 189 in Vegas this July 11, 2015. Featherweights look to mai read news >>

Dennis Bermudez: Jeremy Stephens has looked like 'he's going to die' during past 145 weight cuts

LAS VEGAS -- Dennis Bermudez discusses his long layoff, getting over his loss to Ricardo Lamas, his UFC 189 opponent Jeremy Stephens, the Conor McGregor show, why Costas Philippou retired, and more. read news >>

UFC 189: Mendes vs McGregor - Idiot's Guide Preview to Brad Pickett vs Thomas Almeida

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about prospect Thomas Almeida vs veteran brawler Brad Pickett this Saturday in Vegas for UFC 189. An action fight involving bantamweight b read news >>

Costas Philippou Tells UFC He’s Retired

Facing an uphill battle the past couple of years, UFC middleweight Costas Philippou has decided to hang up the gloves. read news >>

UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor - Idiot's Guide Preview to the Fox Sports 1/Fight Pass Prelims

David Castillo breaks down the three things you need to know about an undercard that feels fitting as the appetizer to the Conor McGregor vs. Chad Mendes main course for UFC 189 in Vegas. Matt Brown read news >>