David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Depsite past win over champ Dillashaw, Raphael Assuncao just wants to be remembered

Raphael Assuncao hasn’t fought since October 2014, but with UFC bantamweight title on the line on Sunday at UFC Fight Night 81, his name is as relevant as ever. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Augusto 'Tanquinho' explains how Sunday's short-notice UFC bout quickly fell apart

This past week has been a whirlwind for Augusto Mendes – “a crazy last days,” as “Tanquinho” put it.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: 'UFC Road to the Octagon: Bader vs. Johnson' full segment for UFC on FOX 18

The “UFC Road to the Octagon” preview show returned this past weekend to spotlight the upcoming UFC on FOX 18 showdown between Anthony Johnson and Ryan Bader. Check out their full segment inside.File read news >>

Video: 'UFC Road to the Octagon: Alcantara vs. Rivera' full segment for UFC on FOX 18

The “UFC Road to the Octagon” preview show returned this past weekend to spotlight the upcoming UFC on FOX 18 bout between Iuri Alcantara and Jimmie Rivera. Check out their full segment inside.Filed read news >>

Video: 'UFC Road to the Octagon: Barnett vs. Rothwell' full segment for UFC on FOX 18

The “UFC Road to the Octagon” preview show returned this past weekend to spotlight the upcoming UFC on FOX 18 co-main event between Josh Barnett and Ben Rothwell. Check out their full segment inside. read news >>

Former UFC Champ Benson Henderson Signs with Bellator

After spending the past seven years under the Zuffa banner, former WEC and UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson has left the fold. read news >>

Johny Hendricks Coming in Lean and Mean, Weight Not an Issue (Video)

Making weight has been a huge issue in the past for Johny Hendricks, but he insists it won't be a problem at UFC Fight Night 82. read news >>

GFL Video: Check out past week's top 5 finishes, including a guillotine, few big KOs

After a busy week of action on the North American regional scene, take a look at some of the highlight-reel finishes that were on display, courtesy of GoFightLive.tv.Filed under: News, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81 medical suspensions: Champ Cruz among 6 with 180-day terms

Six fighters from this past month’s UFC Fight Night 81 event are facing medical suspensions that could stretch six months.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>