David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Photo gallery: Robert Whittaker punches past Uriah Hall for home upset at UFC 193

MELBOURNE, Australia – Robert Whittaker had an intimidating task on his hands on Saturday at UFC 193, but he was up for the challenge. Check out our exclusive photo gallery of Whittaker’s win over Ur read news >>

Jared Rosholt: It’s going to be all me when I get past Stefan Struve’s reach

MELBOURNE, Australia – There’s an inescapable fact to fighting a guy that’s seven feet tall: If you’re at the end of his limbs, you’re in the wrong place. Jared Rosholt plans on showing Stefan Struve read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 medical suspensions: 5 fighters with potential 6-month terms

Six fighters from this past weekend’s UFC Fight Night 77 face mandatory medical suspensions of up to 180 days.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

What really mattered at UFC Fight Night 77: Almeida's bonuses, 'Cowboy,' Rivera's streak

If you missed this past weekend’s event, check out what really mattered at UFC Fight Night 77.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Former UFC middleweight contender Alan Belcher announces retirement

Out of action for the past two-and-a-half years, Alan Belcher today made it official: He’s officially retired.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NOS® Energy Drink MMA Rankings, Nov. 3: Big weekend for ranked fighters

Although this past weekend featured a few regional shows, they made no impact in the latest NOS Energy Drink MMA Rankings. That won’t be the case this coming weekend, though.Filed under: Bellator, MM read news >>

In Belfort vs. Henderson trilogy, a snapshot of MMA's past and future with PEDs

If all goes well at UFC Fight Night 77, Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson will fight for the third time in nine years – and maybe this time, if we’re lucky, neither of them will be on performance-enhan read news >>

Bellator Champ Will Brooks on Patricky Freire: 'Dude Is Garbage'

Will Brooks isn't looking past Marcin Held. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have a few words for Patricky Freire. Brooks, who defends his Bellator lightweight title against Held this Friday at Bella read news >>

Daniel Cormier signs eight-fight UFC deal, undecided on New York defense vs. Jones

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier met this past week with the UFC to discuss his future with the promotion and emerged with a new eight-fight contract that’s made him “very, very happy.”F read news >>