David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

From Around the Web

Photos: Despite steakhouse, Johny Hendricks' weight looks great for UFC 185

Opening a steakhouse after some past weight-cutting issues would seem a recipe for disaster. Former UFC welterweight champ Johny Hendricks, though, is making it work.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

PBC Boxing: Thurman slugs his way past Guerrero in classic, Broner cruises by Molina

Robert Guerrero is known for incredible grit and Keith Thurman is known for bone-crushing power. When they collided in the main event of Al Haymon's inaugural "Premier Boxing Champions" card, it was read news >>

Adrien Broner vs John Molina Jr. full fight video highlights from NBC

Adrien Broner vs John Molina Jr. went down this past Saturday night (March 7, 2015) in a main card bout for Al Haymon's first "Premier Boxing Champions" event live on NBC from inside MGM Grand Garden read news >>

Video: Behold Rafael dos Anjos, the last man to defeat Donald Cerrone

At 8-1 in his past nine appearances, Rafael dos Anjos has put in the work needed to secure a UFC lightweight title shot. His efforts have flown largely under the radar, so pay attention to exactly wh read news >>

Paige VanZant on MMA rise: 'I deserve to be where I am'

Paige VanZant took aim at critics of her past comments and of her new Reebok deal at a recent press event promoting Reebok's new pumps. read news >>

After hot start in UFC, Marion Reneau looking for a top ten opponent

If all the big fights this past weekend in Los Angeles were only possible because of women’s MMA trailblazer Gina Carano, then Marion Reneau was only happy to see the day. The bantamweight Reneau was read news >>

Monday Morning Analyst: UFC 184, Bellator 134, Invicta 11 and more

This past weekend allowed us to witness a huge range of combat sports events, but we have a limited amount of time. So, we're focusing our energies on UFC 184, Bellator 134 and Invicta 11. But as I m read news >>

UFC 184: Rousey vs. Zingano - Idiot's Guide Preview to Jake Ellenberger vs. Josh Koscheck

David Castillo on the three things you need to know about two fighters you wouldn't expect to be winless in their last three emphasizing how thin the UFC 184 main card is. Two former wrestling prospe read news >>

UFC 184: Rousey vs. Zingano - Idiot's Guide Preview to Alan Jouban vs. Richard Walsh

David Castillo on the three things you need to know for the lesser of the two UFC 184 welterweight bouts this weekend in the city of angels. The first bout on the main card that belongs on the prelim read news >>