David CastilloAfter suffering two straight losses to begin last year, Utah lightweight prospect David Castillo has rebounded, winning four of five fights (with one no contest).

The two losses forced Castillo to address what he felt was his biggest weakness and, “focus on my guard and fighting off my back. That’s where I needed to improve the most.”

Training at Jeremy Horn’s Elite Performance in Salt Lake City, Castillo feels he’s getting the proper training to overcome his increasingly difficult opposition.

“In my camp we’re still pushing forward for me to perform to my best potential as a fighter,” he said. “I feel like I’m being pushed constantly, and being trained under Jeremy Horn is a great confidence booster for me.

“In my opinion, there’s not a better coach out there that can apply the ground game and jiu-jitsu and gear it towards fighting.”

Even though he feels he’s getting the highest level of training possible, Castillo told MMAWeekly.com that it doesn’t make him overconfident.

“I don’t go into fights thinking guys aren’t receiving the level of training I am,” he said. “I never underestimate anybody. I always assume they have the best training possible and that’s what makes me fight-ready every time I step in there.”

At 14-4, Castillo’s at the point where he’s going to have to beat top-level competition to make his step to the next level, which is exactly the kind of opposition he’ll be facing in UFC veteran John Gunderson at Saturday’s UCS Caged Combat 6 for the promotion’s lightweight title.

“John Gunderson is a lot like me,” said Castillo. “He’s a well-rounded guy who is good on the ground, standing and has decent wrestling. I know he’s got great conditioning, so I’ve made sure that I’m ready to go five rounds and be ready to push the pace and see if I can hurt him and put him away.

“I know he’s said that he’s going to put me away early, but I think he’s sadly mistaken. I think he’s underestimating me, and it’s definitely going to work to my advantage in the fight.”

Currently scheduled to return to Showdown Fights in August, Castillo has the possibility of raising his winning streak to six fights, title in tow, which could produce the kind of buzz to get him noticed by a national promotion.

“Hopefully a win over Gunderson will get the UFC or one of the other high-level organizations looking at me,” he said.

“I see myself ready for the highest level of this sport. I’m confident in my skillset and I’ve got to go prove that. Once that happens, I think everything’s going to take its course.”

(Photo courtesy of DavidCastilloMMA.com)

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

WSOF 30 salaries: Fighter payouts range from $500 to $130,000

Fighters competing at this past weekend’s WSOF 30 event made as much as $130,000 and as little as $500.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Mike Dolce: After coaches meeting, Ronda Rousey plotting return and 'world domination'

This past month, renowned MMA nutritionist Mike Dolce found himself in Los Angeles for a “coaches meeting” with longtime client Ronda Rousey.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC read news >>

Jan Blachowicz putting past behind, seeks reinvention following consecutive defeats

ZAGREB, Croatia – Sure, the past 12 months have been largely forgettable for Jan Blachowicz, but the Polish light heavyweight insists he’s taken steps to change all that.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Gets New UFC on FOX 19 Opponent

Khabib Nurmagomedov's spot on UFC on FOX 19 was thrown into doubt over the past 48 hours, but he received a new opponent on Thursday. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 staff picks: 'Big Ben' gets nod over Dos Santos

Like his past three bouts, Ben Rothwell is again the underdog at the sports books, but when it comes to MMAjunkie’s staff picks for UFC Fight Night 86, he’s the overwhelming favorite over Junior Dos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 86 results: Timothy Johnson holds on to get past newcomer Marcin Tybura

ZAGREB, Croatia – By the third round of his fight with UFC newcomer Marcin Tybura, Timothy Johnson was in bad shape, nursing an injured arm and a bad eye injury.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dan Henderson Ignores Own Past in Criticizing Lyoto Machida's PED Admission

This Saturday's UFC on Fox 19 card suffered a late blow on Wednesday when Lyoto Machida declared the use of a banned substance, resulting in the cancellation of his co-main event bout with Dan Hender read news >>

Video: Ben Askren's 'Funkamania' ran wild on Nikolay Aleksakhin at ONE Championship 41

ONE Championship welterweight Ben Askren did his thing in this past Friday’s ONE Championship 41 headliner.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier's Injury, More

Jon Jones has never been shy about voicing his opinion on Daniel Cormier in the past. On Monday, the former UFC light heavyweight champion went on the record to question whether it was an injury that read news >>

Legit, or troll job? UFC champ Conor McGregor says he has 'decided to retire young'

We’re far enough past April Fool’s Day, so that’s out. But today, UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor either made one of the most shocking retirement announcements in sports history, or he trol read news >>