Dave Branch-UFCv3-5451While he defeated former top-ranked middleweight Paulo Filho in his last fight, former UFC fighter David Branch believes he could have done better and intends to do so in his return to the World Series of Fighting on Saturday night.

“I think I performed well (against Filho), but I don’t think I stepped on the gas as much as I know I can,” said Branch. “That’s what I’m going to be doing this Saturday. My cardio is as good as it has been. I’m not going to get tired and there’s no reason why I shouldn’t go out there and give the crowd what they want.

“They want to see a finish and I’m going to deliver it to them.”

In a way, Branch’s defeat of Filho was something of a passing of the torch.

“Paulo’s somebody that I looked up to and had all the respect for in the world,” said Branch. “It’s the nature of the beast though; I was the up-and-coming fighter and it was my time to shine.”

Branch’s reward for his win was a spot in the WSOF four-man middleweight tournament to crown its first 185-pound champion.

On Saturday night, Branch (12-3) will face Danillo Villefort (14-4), a fighter who is also coming off a win in his last WSOF bout.

“I have to put a lot of pressure on (Villefort) and keep the pace nice and high,” Branch told MMAWeekly.com.

“I’m already a thinking fighter. I’m very athletic. So I’m going to go out there and push the pace and break him physically and mentally and put him away. I don’t want him to make it (the distance).”

With a possible match in the finals at stake, Branch was asked if he has to be aware of avoiding possible injuries against Villefort. He replied, “I’m not going to do anything to put myself at risk, but I’m going to be hitting on all cylinders.

“I’m not worried about holding anything back, that’s not what I do. I won’t even look at that fight for another month and a half, to be honest.”

That being said, it’s all or nothing for Branch in the remainder of this tournament.

“When they put it together, I said to myself that I was going to be the champ,” he said. “I’m not going to accept anything else.”

From Around the Web

For paralyzed WEC vet Will Ribeiro, an inspirational fight rages on

Will Ribeiro may never heal from the crippling motorcycle accident that nearly claimed his life and ended a promising MMA career in 2008. But it hasn’t discouraged him from helping the most vulnerabl read news >>

Renzo Gracie joins WSOF 20 broadcast team

MMA legend Renzo Gracie has been brought in by World Series of Fighting to do color commentary on their next event. Renzo Gracie still talks about fighting, but for now he'll settle for a spot in an read news >>

Renzo Gracie to serve as color commentator for World Series of Fighting 20

A familiar name is joining the World Series of Fighting broadcast team. MMA legend Renzo Gracie will be the color commentator for WSOF 20 on April 10 at Foxwoods Resort Casino in Connecticut, WSOF ex read news >>

Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino full fight video highlights

Watch Justin Gaethje vs. Luis Palomino full fight video highlights from the World Series of Fighting 19 main event above, courtesy of NBC Sports Network. WSOF 19: Gaethje vs. Palomino took place Marc read news >>

Matt Hamill withdraws from WSOF 19 due to illness

The World Series of Fighting 19 card tonight in Phoenix, Arizona has been shaken up in a big way. Due to Matt Hamill withdrawing from the show due to illness, the two light heavyweight fights have be read news >>

World Series of Fighting 19: Gaethje vs. Palomino results, discussion, and live video stream

Discuss and watch tonight's World Series of Fighting 19 event right here on Bloody Elbow! The main event pits undefeated WSOF LW champion Justin Gaethje taking on Luis Palomino. No UFC tonight? No pr read news >>

WSOF 19 predictions

One of World Series of Fighting (WSOF)'s stars in lightweight champion Justin Gaethje returns to the cage against top WSOF contender Luis 'Baboon' Palomino. Gaethje will not only look to defend his t read news >>

WSOF 19 results, live video stream

World Series of Fighting (WSOF) 19: "Gaethje vs. Palomino" takes place TONIGHT (Sat., March 28, 2015) at the Comerica Theatre in Phoenix, Arizona. Tonight's card will see Justin Gaethje defend his li read news >>

WSOF 19: Gaethje vs. Palomino preview and predictions

Check out a full main card preview of the World Series of Fighting 19 fight card right here, featuring a title fight between Justin Gaethje and Luis Palomino as well as Thiago Silva's WSOF debut. Wor read news >>