Dave Branch-UFCv3-5451While he defeated former top-ranked middleweight Paulo Filho in his last fight, former UFC fighter David Branch believes he could have done better and intends to do so in his return to the World Series of Fighting on Saturday night.

“I think I performed well (against Filho), but I don’t think I stepped on the gas as much as I know I can,” said Branch. “That’s what I’m going to be doing this Saturday. My cardio is as good as it has been. I’m not going to get tired and there’s no reason why I shouldn’t go out there and give the crowd what they want.

“They want to see a finish and I’m going to deliver it to them.”

In a way, Branch’s defeat of Filho was something of a passing of the torch.

“Paulo’s somebody that I looked up to and had all the respect for in the world,” said Branch. “It’s the nature of the beast though; I was the up-and-coming fighter and it was my time to shine.”

Branch’s reward for his win was a spot in the WSOF four-man middleweight tournament to crown its first 185-pound champion.

On Saturday night, Branch (12-3) will face Danillo Villefort (14-4), a fighter who is also coming off a win in his last WSOF bout.

“I have to put a lot of pressure on (Villefort) and keep the pace nice and high,” Branch told MMAWeekly.com.

“I’m already a thinking fighter. I’m very athletic. So I’m going to go out there and push the pace and break him physically and mentally and put him away. I don’t want him to make it (the distance).”

With a possible match in the finals at stake, Branch was asked if he has to be aware of avoiding possible injuries against Villefort. He replied, “I’m not going to do anything to put myself at risk, but I’m going to be hitting on all cylinders.

“I’m not worried about holding anything back, that’s not what I do. I won’t even look at that fight for another month and a half, to be honest.”

That being said, it’s all or nothing for Branch in the remainder of this tournament.

“When they put it together, I said to myself that I was going to be the champ,” he said. “I’m not going to accept anything else.”

WSOF 27: Future Champs Live Weigh-in Stream, Friday at 7 pm ET

Watch the World Series of Fighting 27: Future Champs weigh-ins streaming live on MMAWeekly.com, Friday, Jan. 22, at 7 p.m. ET / 4 p.m. PT. read news >>

Chauncey Foxworth’s WSOF Game Plan is Simple, Dominate Every Second

Heading into his World Series of Fighting debut, Chauncey Foxworth's game plan is a simple one: dominate every second of the fight. read news >>

WSOF 27: Future Champs Live Prelims Stream, Saturday at 8 pm ET

Watch the World Series of Fighting 27: Future Champs preliminary bouts stream live worldwide on MMAWeekly.com, Saturday, Jan. 23, at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT. read news >>

WSOF 27 Results and Highlights: Late Replacement Luiz Firmino Upsets Caros Fodor

World Series of Fighting landed Memphis, Tenn., on Saturday night, where late replacement Luiz Firminho captured the spotlight with a victory over Caros Fodor. read news >>

WSOF 29: Gaethje vs. Foster Moves to New Colorado Venue

World Series of Fighting announced on Saturday that the location for WSOF29: Gaethje vs. Foster has been moved to a new Colorado location. read news >>

Trading Shots: The unpopular opinion edition

In this week’s Trading Shots, MMAjunkie columnist Ben Fowlkes and retired UFC and WEC fighter Danny Downes share their most unpopular MMA opinions, of both the good and bad variety.Filed under: News, read news >>

Trading Shots: What can we learn from gleeful reaction to Sage Northcutt's loss?

In this week’s Trading Shots, retired UFC and WEC fighter Danny Downes joins MMAjunkie columnist Ben Fowlkes to discuss the fallout from Sage Northcutt’s submission loss, and what it tells us about f read news >>

Former UFC Champ Benson Henderson Signs with Bellator

After spending the past seven years under the Zuffa banner, former WEC and UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson has left the fold. read news >>

Full WSOF 28: Moraes vs. Barajas Main Card Released

World Series of Fighting on Tuesday announced two new bouts to complete the WSOF 28: Moraes vs. Barajas main card. read news >>

Urijah Faber: The only reason Dominick Cruz is alive is we have rules in MMA

Former WEC champ Urijah Faber is firing back at Dominick Cruz after the UFC bantamweight champ offered to “gift” him a title shot.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>