Dave Branch-UFCv3-5451To say that World Series of Fighting middleweight David Branch had a tumultuous 2012 is not an understatement. Difficulties in his career mirrored difficulties in his private life.

“I had some passport issues, wasn’t able to make it to Poland (for a bout), had a couple of fights I had to pull out of due to injurym and when I fought Anthony Johnson (in May) there was a lot of controversy with weight,” said Branch.

“I’m not one of those fighters who doesn’t have to worry about bills and everyday things. I have to put food on the table and I have two children, so sometimes the stress gets to you and you lose focus on what you’ve got to do in a fight. All my losses were because I wasn’t mentally prepared; I was physically prepared, but mentally not there.”

Thankfully coming into 2013, Branch was able to get things sorted out.

“Now I’m in a place mentally and people around me that are driving me and have re-sparked what first inspired me to fight,” he said. “I’m in a really good place right now and am staying away from negativity and am just being positive.”

Branch told MMAWeekly.com that he’s looking to build off lessons learned in his last win against Dustin Jacoby at WSOF 1 in November to make for a more consistent year.

“The fight with Dustin I was still recovering from some injuries, so I couldn’t do what I really wanted to do and what I’m capable of doing in the fight, but it was good because that was the first time I stood up against a stand-up guy and showed a different element of my game,” said Branch.

“I out-struck a striker who had won most of his fights by knockout, and me being a grappler doing that against a striker made me feel good. It was like the first time I had a striker try to take me down, so I knew I was doing something right.”

A more fully developed game could help Branch gain the advantage on Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J., when he takes on Paulo Filho in a feature bout at WSOF 2 to be broadcast on NBC Sports Network.

“I would like to show a full range of MMA against Paulo and my future opponents,” said Branch. “I’d like to make it exciting, but also fight a smart fight and fight to win.

“I’ve been doing jiu-jitsu for a long time, working with some of the best in the world with the Gracie family my whole career, so I’m not going to be surprised by anything he’s going to do on the ground. I respect his ground game, but I’m not worried about it.”

After not receiving much of a push in his time with Bellator and the UFC, Branch feels now with the WSOF, he can take his career to heights he’s wanted to achieve for a long time.

“I think this is the perfect opportunity and perfect promotion for me to be at this time in my career and where I’m at,” he said. “I’m actually coming into my own. I’ve been fighting for about five years now and I definitely feel like this is going to open really big doors for me.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Ronda Rousey provides health update in post-UFC 193 comments, says she'll 'be back'

Ronda Rousey has finally spoke following the shocking loss of her UFC women’s bantamweight title in Saturday’s UFC 193 main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 193 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into TUF: Latin America 2 Finale

UFC 193 is in the books. The results are as follows (c/o Bleacher Report's own Craig Amos): UFC 193 Main Card Holly Holm def. Ronda Rousey, knockout (Round 2, 0:59) Joanna Jedrzejczyk def. Valerie Le read news >>

After Ronda Rousey's Weeklong Theater of the Absurd, It's Finally Time to Fight

Is there a fight in here somewhere, or did I hallucinate that? It turns out that, magically, it was not just a dream. Ronda Rousey is, indeed, an MMA fighter, and she will indeed fight. In fact, it's read news >>

UFC vet Antonio Rogerio Nogueira not ready to retire just yet

UFC light heavyweight Antonio Rogerio Nogueira feels he won a rematch against ex-champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at August’s UFC 190 event, but he’ll dust himself off and continue with his career.Filed u read news >>

Michael McDonald to Finally Return at UFC 195

One-time UFC title challenger Michael McDonald is finally returning to the Octagon. read news >>

Daniel Straus Won the Bellator Belt with a Clipped Wing

Daniel Straus finally got a victory of Patricio "Pitbull" Freire and recaptured the Bellator belt, but it wasn't without a price. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC 193

UFC Fight Night 77 is in the books. The results are as follows (courtesy of Bleacher Report's play-by-play man, Craig Amos): Main Card on Fox Sports 1 Vitor Belfort def. Dan Henderson, knockout (Roun read news >>

Bellator 145 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Freire vs. Straus 3

Daniel Straus finally got it right. On Friday night in St. Louis, Missouri at Bellator 145, Straus defeated long-time nemesis and reigning featherweight champion Patricio "Pitbull" Freire via unanimo read news >>

Patricio Pitbull in Top Form Heading into Bellator 145 Main Event Trilogy Bout

Most fighters focus on getting better with their fighting techniques, growing their arsenal of finishing moves. No doubt, Bellator featherweight champion Patricio “Pitbull” Freire works hard to make read news >>

'ONE Championship 34: Kingdom of Khmer' heads to Cambodia with Tynanes-Yakhyaev

ONE Championship is heading to Cambodia in December for “ONE Championship 34: Kingdom of Khmer,” officials recently announced.Filed under: News read news >>