Dave Menne and Jake ShieldsAfter a trying couple of years dealing with illness and the death of his parents, former UFC middleweight champion Dave “The Warrior” Menne was forced to rethink things, and has since come out the better, both personally and professionally having won back-to-back fights.

“I pulled away a little bit from teaching,” said Menne. “I was in Thailand for a while to decompress. I spent some time reflecting and looking at life and where things are going. I began spending some more time on myself.

“I feel like my game is progressing, and getting back in some aspects to where it was. It’s little things; instead of having to hold pads for somebody or you’ve got to do this, you’re spending time on things that you need, want, and should work on. Life is a growing process or a dying process, so I’m in the process of trying to learn for myself right now.”

Menne will get a chance to run his winning streak to three when he travels to Brazil on March 31 to face Murilo Bustamante for Amazon Forrest Combat 2 in Manaus. The fight is a rematch of their 2002 battle where Bustamante took Menne’s UFC middleweight title with a second round TKO.

Menne told MMAWeekly.com that while some things changed in the decade since they last fought, much has remained the same.

“The biggest difference is my vision and my understanding of Murilo’s strengths and possible weaknesses are different than 10 years ago,” said Menne. “The things that aren’t different are I perceive him to be a tough opponent, skilled striker and grappler who trains with some of the better people in the world. He’s been around a long time and he’s always dangerous.”

When asked how big of a motivational factor it is to want to get revenge for his loss to Bustamante in 2002, Menne said, “I can’t say that was initially in my processing. I can’t say it won’t be. Most of my time and energy has been on getting in shape and getting ready.

“When he’s standing across from me and I’m thinking about it, maybe it will be a bigger deal, but I can’t say that I’m dwelling on it. I can’t say that I wouldn’t enjoy it necessarily, but I’m also not going to revel in it.”

At 37-years-old, Menne still feels viable in MMA, and his goals are as they’ve always been.

“Right now I’m just trying to build up momentum, put some good fights together and I guess my goal is put one W after another W, progress in my skills and take hard and harder fighters,” he said.

Still, that doesn’t mean Menne doesn’t occasionally get cranky like an old man telling kids to stay off his lawn when it comes to people saying what he and contemporaries like Bustamante and Maurice Smith can and cannot do at this stage in their lives.

“I think that it’s opened some of the eyes of people that we are still around and can still do it,” he said. “I wish sometimes thought people would just shut up. You’re busy living and training, and people are like, ‘Yeah… but…’

“Continue to say that and I’ll continue doing what I’m doing, because all you’re doing is bugging me.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

The Comeback: Brock vs. Dana, Kennedy's missing jersey, Schaub thinking retirement

In a sport that never stops moving, even MMA junkies can struggle to keep up with all the latest news. If you missed any of Tuesday’s biggest headlines, catch up with “The Comeback.”Filed under: Feat read news >>

WSOF signs UFC vets Jason High and Mike Ricci

UFC veterans Jason High and Mike Ricci have found a new nationally televised home, landing new deals with WSOF.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Erick Silva's Patience and Progress

With Silva having found success in all but one of his four most recent outings, the once highly touted prospect has started to shape into a potential title threat. read news >>

Jason High signs with World Series of Fighting

Jason High has found a new home. The MMA veteran has signed a new contract with World Series of Fighting, Ali Abdel-Aziz, WSOF executive vice president, confirmed with MMAFighting.com on Tuesday. Hig read news >>

Brazilian fighter wins MMA title while 12 weeks pregnant

Brazilian fighter Kinberly Novaes just found out she's six months pregnant, after already winning the Noxii strawweight title in May while 12 weeks along. On May 17 of this year, Kinberly Novaes defe read news >>

Kinberly Novaes Won MMA Title While 12 Weeks Pregnant: Latest Comments, Reaction

Kinberly Novaes found out the hard way cutting weight can be difficult when you're carrying a child. During a physical examination to determine why she was unable to lose the requisite pounds in orde read news >>

Former PXC champion Ale Cali shot dead in Davao, Philippines

Former PXC champ Ale Cali was murdered in Davao City, Philippines. Former PXC flyweight champion Ale Cali was found dead in Ulas Crossing, in Davao City, a province in the Philippines. The Filipino f read news >>

Michael Johnson on Split Decision Loss to Beneil Dariush: ‘Every Body Knows I Won That Fight’

Lightweight contender Michael Johnson found himself on the losing end of a controversial split decision in the UFC Fight Night 73 co-main event. He thinks he clearly won. read news >>

Hey, Michael Bisping: Here's the latest UFC middleweight calling you out

Vitor Miranda appears to have found a home in the UFC’s middleweight division, and now he has his sights set on some bigger names at 185 pounds.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 190 winner 'Bigfoot' Silva found motivation in Mir and Arlovski comebacks

Fans and media are often quick to call for a fighter to retire if he falls on hard times in his career. It was no different for Antonio Silva as he went 0-3-1 in a four-fight stretch leading up to UF read news >>