Darren Elkins is a regular underdog in the UFC, yet he has managed to win four straight fights.

Most recently, he outworked Steven Siler for 15 minutes at UFC 154 to earn a decisive unanimous decision (30-27 on all three cards).

“I was a little bit of an underdog it seemed,” Elkins told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He had a couple of good wins. I was coming off a three-fight win streak. He was too. Overall I liked the matchup. I thought I was going to be the better wrestler and I thought I was going to be the stronger fighter. It happened to be that I felt stronger than him and I wore him down.”

Elkins delivered another workmanlike performance, using his takedowns to nullify Siler’s striking and an active game on the ground to prevent Siler’s submissions.

“My first takedown I got on him was against the cage,” Elkins said. “I was just kind of working off the cage, throwing some knees, and when I went for that trip, I just felt like I overpowered him. From there, when he came in charging forward, I landed a few good double legs and just felt like I had my timing down that night.”

Siler was no slouch. He entered the fight on a three-bout win streak that included a win over Cole Miller. By outpointing him, Elkins scored his fifth victory in six UFC fights.

“I think I’m getting up there,” Elkins answered when asked where he stands in the featherweight division. “I think my next fight I need a bigger name, maybe a top-five, top-10 guy in the division and I hope they’ll give it to me. I think I’ve got to get a couple of those before I get really in the mix.”

It’s no mistake that Elkins has found success at 145 pounds. To make the weight, he has to stay focused, and the drop from 155 has worked well so far.

“I am a different fighter,” he said. “I have to focus a little bit more on my strength and conditioning and my diet. Since I’ve dropped down to 145, my diet’s changed a lot. The strength factor -- I am a lot stronger than almost everybody I’ve fought so far at featherweight, so that’s a huge advantage for me, and size-wise, at 155, I’m fighting taller guys and I’m usually the taller guy at 145.”

Elkins likes how he matches up with opponents in the division, but he’s still the underdog come fight time and that’s fine with him.

“Every fight I’ve had pretty much in the UFC, I’m the underdog,” he said. “The betting odds, I’m always at least a little slight underdog or a huge underdog. I love the role. It motivates me. I just keep training harder, and that gives me the motivation because everybody doubts me. It pushes me every day.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 35:35).

From Around the Web

White hasn't spoken to ex-champ Georges St-Pierre after new drug-testing plans

When longtime UFC champion Georges St-Pierre decided to take a break from MMA, he cited a performance-enhancing drug problem and the UFC’s inadequate drug testing as two of his primary reasons.Filed read news >>

Ronda Rousey Changing Society’s Traditional Ideals about Women in Sports | MMAWeekly.com

Whether or not you’re a UFC fan, you should know who Ronda Rousey is and what she’s doing for gender equality. read news >>

Before UFC 184 appearance, Brock Lesnar and WWE's Vince McMahon were 'yelling and screaming' at each other

Prior to his appearance at UFC 184, Brock Lesnar got into a heated argument with WWE head Vince McMahon. Prior to being seen at UFC 184 with Dana White, it was reported that Brock Lesnar walked out o read news >>

UFC 184 Video: Cat Zingano's full 'f*cking' post-fight interview after Ronda Rousey fight

Fighters get really emotional after a loss, when a mic was shoved at her face following the loss it was filled with expletives. It's normal for a lot of fighters to get emotional after fights, and th read news >>

UFC 184 results recap: Rousey vs. Zingano

Bloody Elbow recaps the big fights from UFC 184 last night in Los Angeles. Here, we look at the main event between Ronda Rousey and Cat Zingano. While Saturday night's PPV event was one that was left read news >>

Jake Ellenberger vs. Josh Koscheck full fight video highlights

Watch Josh Koscheck vs. Jake Ellenberger full fight video highlights from UFC 184's main card above, courtesy of FOX Sports 1. UFC 184: Rousey vs. Zingano took place February 28, 2015 at the Staples read news >>

Gracie Breakdown of UFC 184

Rener and Ryron Gracie take a closer look at Jake Ellenberger's win over Josh Koscheck and Ronda Rousey's win over Cat Zingano at UFC 184. read news >>

UFC 184 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 184 event in Los Angeles, several of the winning and losing fighterstook to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions.F read news >>

Video: Dana White on Ronda Rousey's UFC 184 victory, 'What do I do with this girl?'

"This Cat Zingano fight I was like man this fight is going to be a war. Cat's strong, tough, durable... you know. Ronda is... What do I do with this girl? What do I do with this girl? I keep joking s read news >>