Daniel CormierDaniel Cormier will fight for the final time as a heavyweight at UFC 166 when he faces Roy Nelson in the co-main event in Houston on Saturday. Following the fight, the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Champion will drop down to the light heavyweight division.

Before signing with the UFC, Cormier expressed his desire to transition to the 205-pound weight class and challenge champion Jon Jones for the title. Despite his intention of leaving the heavyweight division, the former Olympic wrestler isn’t looking too far ahead, or past Nelson.

“As a professional athlete, you can’t look past anyone,” Cormier told MMAWeekly.com. “Roy Nelson could put me out with one punch. I’m fully aware of that. Roy Nelson could submit me. Roy Nelson could put me in a crucifix as he did everyone else on The Ultimate Fighter. I’ve been watching him since then.”

The undefeated Cormier has stated that he wants an immediate title shot when he drops down to light heavyweight, but has backed off those comments recently. Immediate title shot or not, all of his plans in the light heavyweight division go up in smoke if he loses to Nelson, and Cormier expects a tough fight.

“I think it’s a great match-up. He presents a lot of problems for me because he’s my size. He’s not tall, so he’s going to be a little harder to take down,” said the 34-year-old athlete. “He’s got very good jiu-jitsu which will balance out my wrestling. And not only does he do that well, he gets up very well, so I will have to be in better shape because if I’m going to take him down I’m going to have do it over and over again, and he’s durable.

“He presents a lot of problems. It’s going to be a tough fight for me,” added Cormier.

Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Jon Jones Explains Why He Flipped Off Daniel Cormier at UFC 197 (Video)

Interim light heavyweight champion Jon Jones explains why he flipped off champion Daniel Cormier after defeating Ovince Saint Preux in the UFC 197 main event. read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier 2 Announced for UFC 200: Full Match Card, Reaction

After pulling Conor McGregor from the card, the UFC needed to do something drastic to ensure UFC 200 would live up to its status as one of the most highly anticipated pay-per-views of 2016. The compa read news >>

With Conor McGregor Out, Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones Rematch Heads UFC 200

Dana White and a bevy of UFC fighters took over GMA to announce that the rematch between Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones would now headline UFC 200. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones 2: Early Odds for UFC 200 Main Event

UFC officially announced Wednesday that the rematch between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier for the light heavyweight championship is set to headline UFC 200 in July. The highly anticipated clash replac read news >>

VIDEO: Dana White’s Big UFC 200 Announcement, Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier React

Watch as UFC president Dana White announces the new UFC 200 main event. Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier react to their headlining rematch. read news >>

VIDEO: Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones Steal the Show at UFC 200 New York Press Conference

Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones immediately stole the show, smack talking each other at the UFC 200 press conference at Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier 2: Key Takeaways from UFC 200 Press Conference

A formal announcement by the UFC on Wednesday confirmed Jon "Bones" Jones and Daniel Cormier will headline UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas, and both fighters exuded the utmost confidence in their resp read news >>

UFC 200: Jon Jones Is Loved, Daniel Cormier Is Hated & McGregor Is MIA? Uh, OK

After months of speculation and a week’s worth of utter chaos, UFC 200 finally got its main event on Wednesday and—hold on—let me make sure I have all this right… Jon Jones is in, crashing the party read news >>

Jon Jones: ‘Outside of Me, Daniel Cormier is the Next Best Thing’

Interim light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones says champion Daniel Cormier is 'the next best thing' in the 205-pound division. read news >>

Roy Nelson vs. Derrick Lewis Booked for UFC Fight Night 90 Co-Main Event

Hard-hitting heavyweights Roy Nelson and Derrick Lews Nelson are booked to meet in the UFC Fight Night 90 co-main event on July 7 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. read news >>