Daniel Cormier Calls Out UFC’s Frank Mir, Jon Jones After Final Strikeforce Victory

Daniel Cormier has unfinished business with Frank Mir.

The American Kickboxing Academy standout called out the former UFC heavyweight champion following his lopsided victory against an overmatched Dion Staring at Strikeforce’s final show on Saturday night.

Competing in the evening’s co-main event, Cormier unleashed a torrent of violence on the Dutchman at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, afterward calling out Mir for a spring Octagon meeting at UFC on Fox 7.

“I signed my UFC contract,” Cormier told Showtime Sports. “April 20 on Fox, Frank Mir, let’s do it. It was supposed to happen, and we were supposed to fight in Oklahoma, so he owes it to me.

The Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix winner was not done yet, however, as he went on to target UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, who is scheduled to defend his belt at UFC 159 against former two-time middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen.

“I’m going to let Jon defend his belt on April 27, and then I’m going to kick his ass in the fall,” Cormier said.

Cormier was initially expected to face Mir this past November, but the onetime UFC king was forced to withdraw from the booking due to injury. The entire event was then canceled and rescheduled after a handful of main card competitors were also bitten by the injury bug, and Cormier was paired with Staring for his final Strikeforce appearance.

“I felt great. I was kind of concerned, because I felt sick all week,” said Cormier. “[I thought I was] going to get tired, but I didn’t. I was still going hard, on top of him, punching him, but he was just a really tough guy.”

Staring, a Golden Glory representative cornered by UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem, offered up little resistance beyond the bout’s opening moments, with Cormier connecting with solid shots standing before repeatedly taking the 34-year-old to the floor and punishing him with ground-and-pound.

At one point during the second round, Cormier appeared to consider snatching a wide-open armbar but ultimately reconsidered, maintaining his dominant position and pounding out his opponent for the routine technical knockout victory.

“I’m a guy who is mainly never going to give up position for a submission,” said Cormier. “That’s just kind of my style. I’m a wrestler. I could have had it, but I’m not too sure on that yet.”

As a reminder UFC 182 headliners Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier are among the scheduled topics at today’s Nevada State Athletic Commission hearing, which streams live on UFC Fight Pass.Filed under: Bel read news >>

The Nevada State Athletic Commission called UFC LHW champ Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier in for a hearing to discuss the UFC 178 media day brawl they engaged in last month. UFC Light Heavyweight champ read news >>

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones lost one of his biggest sponsors in wake of his UFC 178 media brawl against Daniel Cormier, which took place last month in read news >>

LAS VEGAS – That infamous brawl with Daniel Cormier apparently cost Jon Jones a Nike sponsorship worth “over six figures,” the UFC light heavyweight champion and his representatives today said.Filed read news >>

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones and division No. 1 contender Daniel Cormier, who turned a routine media day appearance at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Ve read news >>

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and 205-pound top contender Daniel Cormier appeared before the Nevada Athletic Commission to discuss their August brawl at a press event. Both fighters receiv read news >>

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and his next challenger, Daniel Cormier, on Tuesday were handed penalties by the Nevada Athletic Commission for a media day brawl. read news >>

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier were punished today for their roles in an August brawl. Check out the Twitter reactions to the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s decision. read news >>

LAS VEGAS – Although he ultimately received a harsher punishment for his role in a recent brawl with upcoming opponent Daniel Cormier, Jon Jones today told the Nevada commission that it’s not “necess read news >>