Daniel Cormier Calls Out UFC’s Frank Mir, Jon Jones After Final Strikeforce Victory

Daniel Cormier has unfinished business with Frank Mir.

The American Kickboxing Academy standout called out the former UFC heavyweight champion following his lopsided victory against an overmatched Dion Staring at Strikeforce’s final show on Saturday night.

Competing in the evening’s co-main event, Cormier unleashed a torrent of violence on the Dutchman at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, afterward calling out Mir for a spring Octagon meeting at UFC on Fox 7.

“I signed my UFC contract,” Cormier told Showtime Sports. “April 20 on Fox, Frank Mir, let’s do it. It was supposed to happen, and we were supposed to fight in Oklahoma, so he owes it to me.

The Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix winner was not done yet, however, as he went on to target UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, who is scheduled to defend his belt at UFC 159 against former two-time middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen.

“I’m going to let Jon defend his belt on April 27, and then I’m going to kick his ass in the fall,” Cormier said.

Cormier was initially expected to face Mir this past November, but the onetime UFC king was forced to withdraw from the booking due to injury. The entire event was then canceled and rescheduled after a handful of main card competitors were also bitten by the injury bug, and Cormier was paired with Staring for his final Strikeforce appearance.

“I felt great. I was kind of concerned, because I felt sick all week,” said Cormier. “[I thought I was] going to get tired, but I didn’t. I was still going hard, on top of him, punching him, but he was just a really tough guy.”

Staring, a Golden Glory representative cornered by UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem, offered up little resistance beyond the bout’s opening moments, with Cormier connecting with solid shots standing before repeatedly taking the 34-year-old to the floor and punishing him with ground-and-pound.

At one point during the second round, Cormier appeared to consider snatching a wide-open armbar but ultimately reconsidered, maintaining his dominant position and pounding out his opponent for the routine technical knockout victory.

“I’m a guy who is mainly never going to give up position for a submission,” said Cormier. “That’s just kind of my style. I’m a wrestler. I could have had it, but I’m not too sure on that yet.”

Another day, another shot fired in the always-entertaining Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier rivalry.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Because Olympics > High School. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight titleholder Jon Jones was bagging on UFC 182 opponent Daniel Cormier, because "DC" was unable to medal at the Ol read news >>

The lead-up to the Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier fight on January 3, 2014, just keeps getting better. After Bones laughed about Cormier's fourth-place finish in the 2004 Olympics as a member of the U. read news >>

After Jon Jones took a shot at Daniel Cormier for finishing fourth at the Olympics, Cormier launched the perfect retaliatory tweet. Jon Jones somehow found a way to heckle Daniel Cormier while on the read news >>

The spotlight in no longer so bright on Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier’s brewing feud, but the upcoming title challenger recently dropped an interesting nugget on social media.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Very rarely does a fight come together via honest divisional math that has as much heat and validity as Jon Jones versus Daniel Cormier. That isn’t to say that there haven’t been some very lucrative read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier was postponed from September to January after the UFC light heavyweight champion suffered a torn meniscus in his knee and an ankle injury in training, and Dana White thin read news >>

• 18 hours ago

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog read news >>

• 6 hours ago

Now that the big Daniel Cormier-Jon Jones light heavyweight title bout has been rescheduled for UFC 182 on Jan. 3, the Nevada Athletic Commission has plenty of time to review the pre-fight brawl that read news >>