Before they fought for the UFC flyweight title, champion Demetrious Johnson and challenger Joseph Benavidez talked backstage at the prefight news conference about awkward locker room potential.
UFC President Dana White’s latest vlog, which was released ahead of Saturday’s big UFC 168 event, takes us behind the scenes of UFC on FOX 9 earlier this month, which featured Johnson and Benavidez in the main event.
“Mighty Mouse” had to defend his belt in Benavidez’s Sacramento training hometown – and Benavidez had three teammates on the card. But Benavidez was the only one of the four fighting from the blue corner, which meant that Johnson had to share a side of the stage at the press conference with Benavidez teammates Urijah Faber and Chad Mendes.
Check out the scene about 1:20 into the video to see Benavidez and Johnson talking about the potential awkwardness if Johnson had to share a locker room with Benavidez’s training partners.
- 2:15: White joins a media conference call when Georges St-Pierre announced he was stepping away from MMA and vacating his UFC welterweight title.
- 4:20: New flyweight Scott Jorgensen talks to White about how easy his first cut was to 125 pounds.
- 5:00: White brings two fans into the octagon for pictures, and one of them is moved to tears.
- 5:30: Roger Bowling gets stitched up after his loss to Abel Trujillo.
- 7:00: Team Alpha Male fighters cheer on teammate Danny Castillo during his majority decisino loss to Edson Barboza.
- 11:30: White checks on Benavidez after he was knocked out by Johnson in the main event.
For more on UFC 168, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site. And for complete coverage of UFC on FOX 9, check out the UFC Events section of MMAjunkie.
view original article >>