While the judges gave UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman a unanimous decision nod for his UFC 175 victory over Lyoto Machida, most observers would likely agree the final two frames were very competitive and could have gone Machida's way. The judges only gave Machida the fourth as did UFC President Dana White, according to his post-fight press conference comments.

Still, is that enough to get Machida a rematch? Probably not.

"I gave Machida the fourth round," White said when explaining his scoring. "It was a great fight. It's one of those fights for Chris Weidman that, he beat Anderson Silva twice. Undefeated, and the way he beat Anderson twice."

"To get this fight against a guy like Machida, be undefeated, have those two on your resume," White continued, but switched gears when setting up what he thinks is the likely and hopeful next fight. "I think what's next and what everybody would like to see - what I'd like to see and what you'd like to see - is probably Vitor Belfort.

"So, let's see what happens with Vitor. If this guy can get his business handled."

As it stands, though, nothing is certain. Belfort was originally set to face Weidman at UFC 173. However, once the Nevada Athletic Commission banned the use of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), a regimen Belfort was on, in May, Belfort was yanked from the card and replaced by Machida. That fight was subsequently moved to UFC 175 after Weidman suffered an injury in training and had to receive medical treatment.

Still, Belfort was then going to face Chael Sonnen at UFC 175 after Wanderlei Silva was removed from the card for his own regulatory testing issues only to have that bout scrapped when Sonnen failed a random drug test, was removed from the bout and retired.

Belfort also has admitted failing a random drug test that had been administered in February and was set to go before the NAC on June 17 to have his licensing issues resolved, but was removed from the agenda when the bout with Sonnen was cancelled. He's yet to schedule any subsequent meetings.

While a bout with Weidman may or may not take place in Nevada, UFC likely won't move forward with Belfort no matter where the bout takes place given their longstanding deference to the authority of the NAC.

As for where that leaves Machida, White says the Brazilian karateka isn't going away any time soon.

"I don't think Machida's going anywhere," White said. "Machida's one of these guys in this division that's one of the best in the world. We'll see how this thing plays out."

For his part, Belfort took to Instagram on Saturday night, pleading for him to get the next title shot. "Now I want what I deserve, " Belfort wrote. "MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!!"

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dana White: Jon Jones, Chris Weidman wanted to fight each other at MSG

  • 15 days ago
  • 1052 views

LAS VEGAS -- The UFC could have had a historic superfight on its hands at Madison Square Garden. UFC president Dana White said in a Q&A during the UFC Fan Expo that Jon Jones and Chris Weidman were b read news >>

Dana White: Jon Jones and Chris Weidman wanted to fight to see who's 'King of New York'

  • 14 days ago
  • 78 views

UFC president reveals there have been plans for a champion vs. champion superfight. According to UFC president Dana White, a champion vs. champion superfight between then-light-heavyweight kingpin Jo read news >>

Morning Report: Dana White says Jose Aldo 'probably would have made close to four million' at UFC 189

  • 26 days ago
  • 10 views

As if featherweight champion Jose Aldo couldn't feel any lower, apparently his absence at UFC 189 has only added to the appeal. At least that's the line UFC president Dana White is going with. Accord read news >>

Conor McGregor Bet Dana White $3 Million He’d KO Chad Mendes at UFC 189

  • 26 days ago
  • 94 views

So confident is Conor McGregor that he bet his employers $3 million he'll knock out Chad Mendes at UFC 189. read news >>

Dana White: Jose Aldo 'probably would have made close to four million' at UFC 189

  • 26 days ago
  • 35 views

The UFC president was a guest on The Russillo Show on ESPN Radio on Tuesday (July 7, 2015) and he disclosed just how much money Jose Aldo was set to earn at UFC 189. Jose Aldo may have withdrawn from read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor tried to bet me $3 million he would knockout Chad Mendes at UFC 189

  • 26 days ago
  • 25 views

And as early as the second round, no less. You certainly can't accuse Conor McGregor of being short on confidence. That became evident after the smooth-talking Irishman tried to bet Ultimate Fighting read news >>

Dana White: UFC 189 passed U.S. gate record following McGregor-Mendes announcement

  • 26 days ago
  • 40 views

The sense of disappointment when Jose Aldo had to drop out of his scheduled UFC 189 main event against Conor McGregor due to a broken rib was widespread. But the idea this would be a deathblow proved read news >>

UFC President Dana White Says Conor McGregor Tried to Bet $3 Million on Himself

  • 27 days ago
  • 34 views

Conor McGregor is confident ahead of his UFC 189 matchup against Chad Mendes on Saturday, July 11. Confident to the tune of $3 million, in fact. According to UFC President Dana White, McGregor made a read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor offered to bet us $3 million he'd knock out Chad Mendes

  • 27 days ago
  • 515 views

How confident is Conor McGregor in his finishing abilities? So much so, that the featherweight superstar was willing to bet his bosses seven figures on when he'd knock out Chad Mendes. McGregor has b read news >>

Nutritionist George Lockhart talks IV ban, how to safely cut weight and rehydrate

  • 27 days ago
  • 9 views

Top MMA nutritionist, George Lockhart gave his expert insight into the recently announced IV rehydration ban, how to safely cut weight and rehydrate, the impact of body fat percentage for fighters, a read news >>