Dana White targeting Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort middleweight title fight ... in Brazil


Assuming "The Phenom" can get cleared by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC).

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White wants Chris Weidman to defend his middleweight title against division number one contender Vitor Belfort; however, he won't do anything to undermine the authority of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC).

That means "The Phenom" has to be cleared by the NSAC before White can play matchmaker, but if and when he does, expect the promotion to target a year-end title fight in ... Brazil. That's correct, Belfort will be cleared to compete in Las Vegas so that White can book him in Brazil.

From the UFC Dublin media scrum (watch it):

"We want to make that fight happen. That's the next fight. That fight should've already happened before the Machida. That's the fight we want to do and that's the fight that Chris Weidman wants. It doesn't have to take place in Nevada. That fight would be big in Brazil, too. I would do it Brazil. As long as the commission clears him, yeah. We'd want the okay from Nevada, and if Nevada was cool with it, I'd do it in Brazil."

Belfort was already cleared to compete by the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) back in May.

"The Phenom" must appear before the NSAC next Wednesday (July 23, 2014) to answer for a failed drug test earlier this year, his second in Nevada. While the first was for steroids back in 2006, the second was a result of testosterone, which helped lead to a statewide ban of TRT.

Subsequent tests also felled Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva.

White's decision to send Belfort back to Brazil is likely to raise a few eyebrows, since the Brazilian -- and his chemistry set -- was accused of hiding on his home turf during a torrid run through the division, which included three straight wins by way of violent knockout.

Expect this topic to be front and center by the middle of next week.

Thoughts?

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 18 hours ago
  • 1 views

UFC middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort says that champion Chris Weidman is out of their December title fight after breaking his hand. Nothing like a dose of bad news to start off your week, read news >>

  • 18 hours ago
  • 2 views

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled UFC 181 title fight opposite Vitor Belfort: Belfort vs. Weidman moved to February, according to Vitor. Damn. — G read news >>

  • 16 hours ago
  • 7 views

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog read news >>

  • 3 hours ago
  • 0 views

Chris Weidman vs. Vitor Belfort won’t happen on Dec. 6 after all, but that won’t change Ronaldo Souza’s plans. "Jacare", who scored his fourth straight victory under the UFC banner with a third-round read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 12 views

UFC President Dana White said a potential welterweight fight between Tyron Woodley and Hector Lombard is a go – if Woodley agrees. Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 46 views

Surging UFC middleweight contender Ronaldo Souza isn't scheduled to fight for the UFC middleweight championship this year, but apparently, he's anxious for a high-profile matchup before 2015 begins. read news >>

  • 18 hours ago
  • 1 views

Chris Weidman and Vitor Belfort won’t go toe-to-toe at UFC 181. Scheduled to defend his UFC middleweight title on Dec. 6 in Las Vegas, Nevada, Weidman has suffered a hand injury and was forced out of read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 21 views

Can't knock (out) the confidence. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight titleholder, Chris Weidman, recently said if he doesn't get a stoppage victory over Vitor Belfort when they collide read news >>

  • 25 days ago
  • 2 views

UFC welterweight contender Tyron Woodley recently called out Matt "The Immortal" Brown, but it appears the UFC has different plans for T-Wood. Speaking with UFC.com, UFC President Dana White revealed read news >>