Dana White says Mark Hunt turned down UFC 160 fight with Junior dos Santos


mark-hunt-7.JPGMark Hunt (9-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) had an opportunity to replace injured Alistair Overeem (36-12 MMA, 1-1 UFC) and fight Junior dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) but turned it down, according to UFC President Dana White.

Overeem bowed out of the UFC 160 bout on Wednesday due to a thigh injury, and as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier today, White later said his fight with former heavyweight champ dos Santos will be rebooked for the summer.

But Hunt? White said he wasn’t interested.

“Hey dummy Mark Hunt turned down the fight with JDS as of last night so STFU when u don’t know what ur talkin about,” White tweeted in response to one of his followers.

He then suggested a big fight could be in order for the New Zealand kickboxer, who recently demolished Stefan Struve in this past week’s UFC on FUEL TV 8 co-headliner in Japan. It marked Hunt’s fourth straight win and continued a recent career resurgence.

“With his win last week he broke into the top 10,” White tweeted. “He will get a top 10 fight but as of last nite he turned down JDS.”

On Wednesday Hunt told MMAFighting.com he was open to the May 25 fight with Dos Santos if offered. However, he declined comment today.

With Overeem’s injury expected to sideline him weeks instead of months, his fight with Dos Santos likely will be rerouted to one of the UFC’s big summer pay-per-view cards.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Mark Hunt)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 10 days ago
  • 1414 views

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos is bailing on a potential Alistair Overeem fight, because "Demolition Man" keeps getting knocked out in a "hard" 265 read news >>

  • 2 days ago
  • 13 views

Mark it, dude. The headliner for UFC on Fox 13 is official and it's JDS vs. Miocic. It's not breaking news, when the fight was teased for this card it was almost certain that it was going to be the m read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 34 views

BRASILIA, Brazil – Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos is nearing one year on the sidelines, and he’s not happy about it. But with a hand that’s nearly healed, the Brazilian is hoping f read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 1 views

After a prolonged recovery from a hand injury suffered in training, it looks like JDS may have his return fight. This has been a bad year for premiere UFC talent. Junior Dos Santos, Cain Velasquez, A read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 4 views

It's been nearly a year since the UFC's former heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos fought, but it looks like there could be a time and place for his return. As reported on UFC Tonight, a fight bet read news >>

  • 4 days ago
  • 1 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos recently told MMAjunkie he was hoping for a December return. It looks like he may get his wish.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

  • 4 days ago
  • 3 views

But "Cigano" has a special request... Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight titleholder Junior dos Santos looks close to making his Octagon return, according to a report from UFC To read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 0 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos will return to the Octagon in December. The UFC officially announced that "Cigano" will take on rising heavyweight Stipe Miocic in the UFC on FOX 13 read news >>

  • 3 days ago
  • 1 views

December’s UFC on FOX 13 affair will have a decidedly heavyweight feel, as Junior dos Santos vs. Stipe Miocic has been installed as the main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>